Competing with Injuries/Cuts

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
The picture on FB is clearer, and it’s a whopper of a cut. Not only shouldn’t she have competed, she should have been prevented from competing.
Maybe I’m not looking at the right post, I saw an area covered in sudcream in a picture unless she’s removed the one with the cut showing. 🤔

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
You really think that recent pictures show a horse that’s too lean?
yes, it’s under muscled, weedy necked and ribs are out, he was worse at his last place and kept jumping out of his field into better grass (wonder why) he has gotten slightly better but I wouldn’t be happy taking a horse like that anywhere. I have had my horses hunting/competition fit and they haven’t looked like he does. Again it’s only my opinion nobody has to agree with it.

scats

Visit site
I would not have competed with that cut, it looks quite large. I’d have gone home and got it sorted.

As for the horse being too lean, I disagree. I wish more horses (one of mine included!) looked like that. We really have become so used to overweight animals, its no wonder there are so many metabolic problems around.

Squeak

Visit site
The thing that also jumps out at me from her post is the lack of preparation that she put in. If you know your horse needs outings and xc schooling etc to compete properly and most importantly safely, why would you either not prioritise it and do it or realise that it's not going to happen and don't enter.

You hear about people saying eventing is too expensive but then put in a complete lack of effort to do it well or safely. The mind boggles.

I also thought in the fifth photo the cut did look fairly substantial. Without seeing it in person it's hard to know for sure but coupled with the 'he tried on the lame act' comment it does make you think that he shouldn't have been competing.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Scarey huh. Less than ideally muscled is completely different to underweight/too lean.
Some people really do think obese horses just look well and perfect
I’ve looked back at videos until about Feb. He’s well covered in every one.

She may be a bit of a numpty - but he’s absolutely fab!!

silv

Visit site
People keep going on about influencers and I have no idea who they are going in about 😂 I don't look for nor follow any such things 😂

To me it would depend on the wound and the discipline. If it were small cuts and scrapes attained by being a twat in the field/one a ride then I would do dressage, possibly show jumping depending on where the injuries were. I would not take such an animal showing or cros country.
The voice of common sense!

smolmaus

Visit site
We have the blood rule in France and I seriously hope that would have been picked up on.

The thing that worries me, is that she has 25k followers and a number of them may well be even less experienced/young and are going to think that's acceptable :(
Yeah, but its not even the blood that annoyed me so much as the "acting lame" 😒 terrible attitude to be broadcasting.

TPO

Visit site
We have the blood rule in France and I seriously hope that would have been picked up on.

The thing that worries me, is that she has 25k followers and a number of them may well be even less experienced/young and are going to think that's acceptable :(

Well, if you look at the comments of adoration under her posts I think you've got your answer. Lots of replies from people finding him "trying on the lame act" hilarious and relatable?! We're doomed...

As an aside I'd never heard of her until this thread. I didn't look too hard but couldn't see a picture of the cut, however her whole attitude towards him "acting" lame is sickening. They don't act and if a horse presents lame its because something hurts.

Didn't look to see if it was BE or unaff but if someone is complaining about her anyway maybe worth a reminder to organisers to brief stewards. If the cut is that bad surely someone in an official capacity should have noticed?

Nasicus

Visit site
I think with all the time she's spent writing from 'his' perspective, she's mentally humanized him to herself, and genuinely thinks he thinks and acts with human logic.
Example, 'trying on the lame act'. Perhaps a human is capable of doing so, but a horse isn't. If a horse is lame, then something hurts. It's a testament to the horses nature that even though he told her 'Hey. my foot really hurts', he still soldiered on through the event for her.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Didn't look to see if it was BE or unaff but if someone is complaining about her anyway maybe worth a reminder to organisers to brief stewards. If the cut is that bad surely someone in an official capacity should have noticed?

It was a Cotswold Cup qualifier. I am sure if anyone had seen it, she would have been stopped from competing. But marshalls don't necessarily check the whole horse. They look at hat and tack.