Competing without riding during the week?

blackrocksolitaire

Visit site
...is it possible and does anybody do this? Situation is:

A. very experienced horse on full comp livery exercised three times during the week; and

B. less experienced but not entirely incompetent rider with too many work pressures to ride during the week (and living and working in central london).

I'm only able to ride at the weekends due to work and transport. Is it ridiculous to think that I could event (BE90/100) once a month on 6/7 days saddle time?! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week so fitness shouldn't be a total nightmare, but although I've done the odd dressage test in recent times I haven't actually jumped anything more than a baby sj/Xc course (with previous, and now sadly broken, baby horse) in about 2 years. Does this seem completely unrealistic?

Experiences/reality checks/motivational speeches welcomed!

be positive

Visit site
In general I would say it was entirely possible but I think your lack of competitive experience may make it difficult to get enough jump training in to make it feasible in the short term, unless I am misreading it and you have competed at 90/100 or above in the past in which case you may manage it far more easily, the horse should be fine if already at or above the level you are aiming at and the riders ride properly to keep him up with the flatwork, not just going for a quick hack.

If you are able to fit in jumping every weekend, this has to be the priority over flatwork to get your eye in, with a good trainer to support you ideally at events as well as at home then get started on the plan with room for flexibility, if you get going now you can start with some xc/ sj training, then sj comps and aim for an unaff event in a couple of months, next season would probably the best time to aim start BE but if all is going well a few later on may be a realistic aim.

There is absolutely no harm in having ambition as long as the homework is done well, just be prepared to drop back if you feel you or the horse is not coping for some reason, make use of your trainer some are excellent at preparing a horse so the rider can get on and it goes well feeling the same as it did the last time you rode, or better, if it changes from week to week due to different riding styles that can prove problematical so it is in your case very important that everyone is working off the same page, good luck.

Newlands

Visit site
My young horse is on full livery so is kept exercised through the week and I do weekends and only one or if I am lucky two week days, or non at all some weeks. It's doable, especially if your yard owner and you discuss plans. My yard owner is great and gives me lots of encouragement to go out and do things, she knows my horse well and will alter his regime to fit what we are up to and will work on particular things if needed. I don't work but have an 18 month old and three year old and my husband has his own hobby that takes him away for several days at a time plus a work schedule that doesn't really allow me to pass the kids to him in the week for me to ride. I have a couple of Unaf and BE 80s lined up. I enjoy doing it but know full well that I won't do as well (or deserve too) as if I put more time and homework in so I don't really have the competitive nature that I used to have. I do sometimes get sad that I'm not doing the work myself like I did with my older horse but it's a lot better then not having him plus it's great knowing he is fit enough for what I want to do with him which is go out and have fun!

blackrocksolitaire

Visit site
Thank you - it's nice to have some reassurance that it's not a completely ridiculous idea.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I have done some unaff eventing about 5-6 years ago but nothing over 90cm. I know that it is going to be my jumping that I really need to work on whenever I do get a chance to ride - horse is very established at a much higher level and very forgiving but I'm aware that she may not stay this way for long if I struggle to ride a course competently because of a lack of match practice. I have a feeling my course riding skills are going to be pretty rusty so many many lessons are in order.

Luckily the girl that rides at the yard is great and should keep the flatwork ticking over, I'm a little more confident in my dressage test riding ability as have kept this up on and off over the years.

I'm hopeful that it is do-able after a winter of jumping practice - the long term goal is to get round a 100 by the end of next season, the short term goal is to get round a course of showjumps this autumn without losing my way!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Possible yes but advisable, possibly not.
The last two summers I've evented (BE80/90) my horse. I was working from home so able to ride 5 out of 7 days with YO/ instructor flat schooling him once a week. I could fit in a lesson at the weekend and another in the week if needed, and get in the jumping practice I needed plus nip out to weeknight SJ/ DR comps. I now have a new job which means I can only ride Fri, Sat and Sun (and not always all three if I'm working away), and now we have lighter nights I can manage a Thurs eve too. I had a jumping lesson on Sat, it's the first time I've jumped in a couple of months and I could really tell. Instructor said it looked the same as at the end of the season but it didn't feel it. Felt like a passenger. I certainly wouldn't want to be out competing any time soon as I feel really rusty.

Horse gets hacked out twice in the week by someone else and he's pretty fit. I guess if I can get my backside in gear and be more organised I can get in some SJ practise on a Thurs eve, flat practise on a Fri plus a lesson over the weekend if not two, then I should be able to get in a bit of eventing this season once my new car arrives. Very long winded way of saying I don't think I'd fancy doing it on only two rides per week if I was out of practise.

HotToTrot

Visit site
Depends on you/your horse/your confidence, experience, etc. For me, I could not compete at a level that pushes my comfort zone if I rode only at weekends. I need do too much jump practice and I need too many jump lessons, so all my riding would have to be jump lessons and then there'd be no weekends left for competing!

If it is your only option, then try it, see, make the most of the time that you do have, and be prepared to be patient if at first you don't get the results you would like!

SO1

Visit site
I should think you could do that if you have a straightforward horse and are a confident rider - could you take a week off work perhaps to have some kind of refresher training for example going to a camp or somewhere to get back into the swing of things {almost the equivalent of a PC camp with a competition on the last day or mock competition on the last day.

CrazyEquestrian

Visit site
As someone who is at school and gets piled up with exams and homework so can't ride until Friday I can whole heartedly say it is possible! :) I plan it so I have a jumping lesson every other week or once a week on a Saturday. Do flatwork on the Friday and perhaps go XC schooling on the Sunday or hacking. I would think if the horse was straightforward and you were confident I don't see why you couldn't! Good luck! x:)

CrazyMare

Visit site
Some would say its possible, but I wouldn't manage it with my horses. Mine needs to jump every 10 days minimum to stay on form so you need to factor in things like that

Pigeon

Visit site
It is definitely POSSIBLE. Would not hesitate a moment for dressage or sj.

The XC would worry me a little, I find I am less intuitive when I am riding less (when I was riding two a day, every day, my stick-ability was much better!) so I would worry if I got in a pickle my seat and reactions wouldn't be as good.

blackrocksolitaire

Visit site
Thanks for further input! Lots to think about. I can't ride instead of going to the gym as the horses are at livery outside of london and I physically can't get there during the week when I have to work. keeping fit so that I am able to ride without going too red in the face is the best I can manage!

As people have said I'm sure it would be difficult to be competitive and I may have to make my peace with that to get out and about. I really just feel like I need something to work for.

Taking some time out from work for a camp is a great idea! Something I will definitely look into. Ultimately I guess I can only see how I feel and try. I have a superstar of a mare and great trainers to fall back on so I will see what happens!

Thanks again for the replies (although I'm afraid I don't know how to quote/reply so hopefully the contributors see this!) it's been useful to canvass opinions and hear experiences and I'll let you know how it works out!

justine1559

Visit site
Hi, I’m in a similar position in that I live and work in London and my horse is kept at full livery outside London. After a long break from eventing (I used to compete up to Intermediate) I bought my horse just over a year ago as a 5 year old with a view to bringing her on to event this year. I definitely underestimated how rusty I would be and last year took a lot of half days off work to go down to the yard and have extra flat and jumping lessons. I also took a week off work last September so that I could ride every day – hours in the saddle should not be underestimated. I’m fortunate that she’s at an event yard and my dressage trainer is there at least once a week and my jumping trainer is there two weekends each month so I’m able to ensure that we both get regular training. That said I do go down twice in the week after work (despite the 1.5 hour journey) which often means riding at 8pm or 9pm (not fun in December and January!) and not getting back home until after 11pm. I have a really full on job and leaving work at 6pm to drive down to ride will often mean the next day I’m still in the office at midnight but it’s worth it. I really think if there’s any way you can ride in the week you should try. My mare has come on fantastically well and we did our first event, the 90 at Aston-le-Walls, last weekend and did a 32 dressage and a slow clear xc so yes it can be done. Good luck.