Competition life - post PSD

HayleyUK

Visit site
Morning!

My 6YO riding pony has been dropped off at the vets for surgery following a diagnosis of chronic bilateral PSD in her hindlimbs.
She is having both the fasioctomy (SP)and the neurectormy procedures; we were given an option of shockwave therapy but I made the decision to proceed with the surgical procedure.

I'm musing on a drizzly grey Monday about what this might mean for her in terms of a competition career; she was intended for dressage and maybe a little bit of low level (1m max) jumping.

I know there are a lot of horses out there that have had the procedure; but wondering how much work they're actually in and realistically what she may be able to do..

Anyone fancy sharing?

H xoxo

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i would hazard a guess there are a lot more dressage horse out there that have had it done, than we openly know about, that compete to reasonable standard.

However, eventually they all tend to break down beyond repair so it depends how much short term gain V long term quality of life you want to balance.

I know people that have done it and the horse has gone back to PSG+ work, but they dont last.

huge hugs xxxxx

blackhor2e

Visit site
I know someone who has a dressage horse which went through these procedures, currently competing at elementary and doing very well, no other issues to speak of yet. Good luck.

Kelpie

Visit site
i would hazard a guess there are a lot more dressage horse out there that have had it done, than we openly know about, that compete to reasonable standard.

However, eventually they all tend to break down beyond repair so it depends how much short term gain V long term quality of life you want to balance.

I know people that have done it and the horse has gone back to PSG+ work, but they dont last.

huge hugs xxxxx

This, I'm afraid.

I've been through that rollercoaster with one of mine. She's turned away now as she didn't show sufficient (any really) improvement in her ligaments post opp and all the box rest was sending her crazy. She might yet come right but unfortunately it's not likely she'll ever do the level of work I had planned for her.

Also, if you event, the neurectomy is against BE rules (although admittedly un traceable but that shouldn't really be the point......).

The facebook group on horses with PSD is very good and there are people on there whose horses have come good, though the length of time for which they come good is pretty uncertain......

Hugs. It's not an easy one.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Mine is still going strong 3 years post surgery, I have had to adjust my expectations but with funds and time off work a problem then this is not too bad. I do everything and more since the surgery and it has totally changed my horse's life. I am very careful on what I do with him, keep him fit and slim, do a lot of walking. It is not a magic cure all but for it is a life changer, I joined the PSD group on FB as there is a lot of misinformation out there. A lot have been done successfully and nothing said, people talk more about it when goes wrong than right IMO.

HayleyUK

Visit site
We were offered other treatments - but she got kicked 5 weeks ago on her canon bone which has become infected due to the depth of the wound and caused a bone fragment. Either way; we had to do a GA and open the leg up so made sense to do both at the same time.

I'm more than happy for her to retire and live out her days in the field if shes sound enough - and I'm lucky in that she doesn't 'need' to do a job, so its not the be all and end all if she can't compete etc, but it'd be nice.

She's spent the two years since we've had her pretty much injured or suffering with an ailment so the plan will be to follow the rehab programme and kick off basic schooling - treating her like you would any young horse really and see what happens. I've certainly no huge desire to drag her through the grades if she can't/won't do it - so happy to take each day as it comes.

I'm pleased there are some out there living a useful life, as she really isn't one for doing nothing..

xox

Nosey

Visit site
Mine had the same op -both hinds & about same age as yours when done-9 yrs ago now & she's still going strong at 15/16!! Had just done her 1st intro pre op but has competed pre novice, ele dressage & up to bs discovery after. She cld def done a lot more if it wasn't for my commitments/ability ie no shortcomings on her part!
Agree lots of successes just getting on with life & enjoying it after psd!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Thats great progress post op.

Just waiting for her to go into theatre now; incredibly tense!

Didn't want to read and run - mega vibes for an uneventful op, post op (always the scary bit) and successful rehab . . . I hated the wait when Pops had to have GA to have his hock flushed.

Will be thinking of you . . . please update when you can x

P

Twiglet

Visit site
Didn't want to read and run - mega vibes for an uneventful op, post op (always the scary bit) and successful rehab . . . I hated the wait when Pops had to have GA to have his hock flushed.

Will be thinking of you . . . please update when you can x

P

Ditto another with nothing to add but didn't want to read and run.

Mine had 6 GAs in the space of 5 weeks earlier this year, and I spent every one on high alert waiting for the 'he's back round' phone call (which received a round of applause from my colleagues every time!), so I feel your pain.

Glad to see someone above has given you a success story.
Best of luck for you and your mare.

HayleyUK

Visit site
Gosh that was a rollercoaster!

We finally got the call at 5:40pm that she was up and well; popped to see her last night (3hr round trip for an hour visit!!) and are bringing her home tomorrow.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm still clueless as to the rehab programme/discharge instructions and am trying to get hold of the vet to discuss as i'm not comfortable that 'you'll be given a print out' is going to cut it!!

Nosey

Visit site
So pleased all gone well so far-so nerve racking when they have to go under.
Agree you do need a good chat with the vet. I asked mine loads of questions throughout her rehab - I must have been a right PITA!!

cptrayes

Visit site
Gosh that was a rollercoaster!

We finally got the call at 5:40pm that she was up and well; popped to see her last night (3hr round trip for an hour visit!!) and are bringing her home tomorrow.

I'm a bit disappointed that I'm still clueless as to the rehab programme/discharge instructions and am trying to get hold of the vet to discuss as i'm not comfortable that 'you'll be given a print out' is going to cut it!!

This made me really cross both times I've had horses in surgery. Both were standard operations with standard rehab instructions and I just can't understand why some vets can't let you know what you need to prepare for before they take the horse in!

Good luck when you finally get them. For mine with kissing spine, the rehab instructions would have had me cantering him before full turnout. You what? You want me to sit on a horse whose back is not recovered enough to be turned out???

PS from your location, I've just realised you were probably at the same vets. They obviously haven't changed!

Last edited:

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Morning!

My 6YO riding pony has been dropped off at the vets for surgery following a diagnosis of chronic bilateral PSD in her hindlimbs.
She is having both the fasioctomy (SP)and the neurectormy procedures; we were given an option of shockwave therapy but I made the decision to proceed with the surgical procedure.

I'm musing on a drizzly grey Monday about what this might mean for her in terms of a competition career; she was intended for dressage and maybe a little bit of low level (1m max) jumping.

I know there are a lot of horses out there that have had the procedure; but wondering how much work they're actually in and realistically what she may be able to do..

Anyone fancy sharing?

H xoxo

We have a pony who had chronic PSD in hinds (and in fronts also) we opted for shockwave on all four and a rehab programme of over a year :(. We chose not to go down the surgery route, but I still think you need to be careful - all the surgery does is release the fascia around the ligament so that the chronically enlarged ligament is not suffering from a compartment syndrome, and the cutting of the nerve prevents pain signals being transmitted from the damaged ligament - the op is not a cure so much as damage limitation.

In terms of work, if you rethink your expectations of your pony, you could be good to go :) But if you continue at the same level of work as previously etc, whatever has caused chronic PSD will still be there and will degrade the ligaments further. Sometimes conformation doesn't help - animals who are very straight in the hind leg are prone.

Good luck - Egg bars shoes helped our pony (there is a lot online about egg bars helping PSD horses as the heel support helps the fetlock and the suspensory - Jim Blurton sports bars have been used by several on the PSD Facebook forum successfully, and this helped out pony also) Also MSM is helpful for PSD - lots online about this. Also our vet prescribed Adequan - although this is primarily for arthritis, there is some evidence to show that it has helped to strengthen collagen and encourage greater uniformity in the strands during the healing phase.

Hope it all goes well for you, and good luck. :)

HayleyUK

Visit site
Caroline - unlikely that we were at the same vets. I travelled out of the area.

The chronic PSd wasn't caused by work we'd done with her, she'd done too much too soon after backing and before we got her the vets think. In two years, I've done nothing with her as she's been intermittently lame, on box rest or being rehabbed.

We've got her on a joint supplement, magnetic boots and linseed oil to support her as much as we can so fingers crossed!

Smurf's Gran

Visit site
Caroline - unlikely that we were at the same vets. I travelled out of the area.

The chronic PSd wasn't caused by work we'd done with her, she'd done too much too soon after backing and before we got her the vets think. In two years, I've done nothing with her as she's been intermittently lame, on box rest or being rehabbed.

We've got her on a joint supplement, magnetic boots and linseed oil to support her as much as we can so fingers crossed!

That's bad luck then, I suspect that might have also happened with our pony also. As you don't know what work / type / duration she can safely take then, you could try her slowly and build it up, but have regular ultrasounds to see how the suspensories are doing in comparison with the initial ultrasound, this would give you a base line as to what you can safely do.