Competition Peeps. . . . .

josie_s

Visit site
Would you be put off buying a horse which had had a Colic op (no gut removed though) if it was back competing at the same level as pre-op? (Double Clears Fox and 1.30)

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Nope I would not be put off. Why would you ? Colic is usually (not always) caused by bad management, and if horse fully recovered, then I can't see a problem. I would mention it to the vet who was vetting pre-purchase, but thats about it.

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
I wouldn't providing I could check veterinary records that was just a one off. I had a mare that had the same operation came back to Novice eventing and never had a problem again. Although her colic was certainly not down to bad management.

A consideration is whether if you do want to insure they will cover for colic.

dieseldog

Visit site
Nope I would not be put off. Why would you ? Colic is usually (not always) caused by bad management, and if horse fully recovered, then I can't see a problem. I would mention it to the vet who was vetting pre-purchase, but thats about it.

What a ridiculous thing to write.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Personally, no. But the majority of the horse's I've seen that have had the OP have had further cases of colic afterwards, so am probably more wary than many.

kassieg

Visit site
I think I would want to know the circumstances around the op ... was it the 1st instance, any problems since etc
What caused it if known
If you can speak to the vet that treated & operated

After id found out all of that I would decide if any of the answers put me off enough for it to not be my perfect horse anymore :)

rara007

Visit site
Having had one that following surgery (they didn't find anything) had recurrent colic I wouldn't risk it.
Anyone who suggests colic is a preventable management issue has obviously been lucky enough to never come across any of the other causes of colic and the heartbreak that can cause. There is a strong change of reoccurance after surgery as the surgery itself predisposes further issues due to adhesions etc, sadly totally unrelated to management so a it won't happen to me attitude as I know how to look after a horse attitude won't solve the issue.

loopiesteff

Visit site
Ok. I've had Bob now for 4 years. He'll be 17 this year with a body age of about 25.

He had colic surgery and almost died on the table. The antibiotics they gave him afterwards then damaged his kidneys, and since then has had permanent kidney damage, and will eventually kill him off with kidney failure.
Back in the days he was an Eventer to intermediate, and did both his hind suspensories and had superficial yet significant injuries along the way.

When I decided to take him on (for the schoolmaster that he is, and to enjoy some low level competition) I knew he'd need an extreme level of care to keep everything in the balance to make sure he's a well and fit as he can be given his situation. I never once thought we'd be where were at now... The vet who has dealt with him has said that he never thought Bob would have been alive now, let alone doing what he's doing, so I'm just enjoying it while I can.

So in answer to your question, I'd buy if the horse was right, whether it'd had surgery or not.

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Whereas you managed to answer the thread with a stupid comment. I see where I went wrong.

It's your opinion it's a stupid comment - you haven't given the reason why I see. It is my opinion that a horse that has had colic surgery can make a full recovery, and colic is often, but not always caused by bad management. But what would I know ? My several years at University studying veterinary science clearly mean nothing.

Go back to your expertise - Fantasy TV programmes, it would appear, if you haven't anything constructive to say.

NB : I have no problem with people disagreeing with me - I just can't bear it when posts (anyone's posts) are ridiculed without justification. Why not just offer an alternative view ? I personally don't care what you think, but your post is the thin end of the wedge of the bullying that in quite widespread on this forum, and someone with less confidence would be discouraged by your attitude.

Last edited:

dieseldog

Visit site
Go back to your expertise - Fantasy TV programmes, it would appear, if you haven't anything constructive to say.

NB : I have no problem with people disagreeing with me - I just can't bear it when posts (anyone's posts) are ridiculed without justification. Why not just offer an alternative view ? I personally don't care what you think, but your post is the thin end of the wedge of the bullying that in quite widespread on this forum, and someone with less confidence would be discouraged by your attitude.

You accuse me of bullying you and ridiculing you! I think you would have been better making those comments without admitting that you have internet stalked me and then tried to ridicule my TV choices.

BTW The majority of people replying to this post agree with me - guess we are all stupid?

AnShanDan

Visit site
To answer the original question: I would certainly consider buying a horse like that, yes, but obv. the price would have to reflect the fact that the insurance would not cover said horse for colic in the future, which could be a considerable expense.

Also, can't agree that colic is usually caused by poor management, not in my experience. So many horses are managed less than perfectly (to say the least), don't colic, and some that are managed very well, do colic. Colic is such a vague thing and covers a multitude of conditions, partly down to your luck.

Bestdogdash

Visit site
DD - I didn't 'internet stalk you' I looked at your HHO profile - which is here for all to see. I have no idea who you are, nor do I wish to.

I fail to see how 'everyone agrees with you' - you haven't given an opinion to agree or disagree with. I also haven't called anyone stupid - they are entitled to their view. You clearly can't grasp the concept of these exchanges, not surprising, and I at least am now stopping wasting my time engaging with your rather narrow mind.

Louise_88

Visit site
I have had a horse with the op, had it when he was 9 and told as long as he made it through the first 6 months then he was no more likely to develop the problem than any other horse. He is 14 now got through the first 6 months without a problem and hasn't had a problem since. As to the comment bad management said horse was on a professional yard at the time (a rider i trust implicitly) and in no way do i think it was bad management just purely bad luck! (not saying it isn't bad management in some cases).

So my answer is no it wouldn't put me off, if everything else was perfect and he had a clean bill of health since the problem.

anna22

Visit site
I wouldn't but then I am very cautious as always seem to end up with the rough end of the deal. A horse who has had colic surgery is far far more likely to have another episode at a later date, this is a proven statistic… but there are horses out there (as with everything) who do well in spite of the negative probabilities/their history.

I would't say "bad" management, more over a change in management - and these only need to be subtle in some cases eg. changing hay batches/grazing etc.

If the price is right, the horse has had a good period of time since the surgery and you are VERY careful with his/her management then it may be worth it. Also as aforementioned: would it's exemption from insurance put you off?

josie_s

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful indeed.
To be honest I own the horse in question but he was always going to be for sale (at some point) before he needed the op so at some point he will be for sale in the future and I was interested in a purchasers view.
The vet who operated has said he believes he's no more likely to get Colic again than any other horse. He said it was caused by Colitis (which he believes it was caused in this instance by a 'grass sickness type bug/bacteria') which he would have flushed out during the op.
He's had no complications since the surgery and everyone at the vets were amazed by how 'well' he was post op and his speedy recovery.
Thanks again