Competition Pony

Lexie01

Visit site
Hi, we are struggling to find a decent 148 pony for my daughter. Needs low points for newcomers 2nd rounds etc - would ideally like a pony capable of jumping 1m 20. Would like to engage the services of a professional to source, as we have failed. Who would people recommend? Thanks.

Shay

Visit site
Hope TM can come though for you. This is THE holy grail of 148s I'm afraid.

What can work is to find a 148 competed by an adult. We had a couple over DD's Junior career. They tend to pick up very few points but gain masses of experience. You do have to be careful with your producer though as they can be overjumped too young. Depends on your view of Junior BS ponies and whether you mind overmuch about them breaking down. Oddly BE Under 18's is also a good place to pick up low milage 148s.

Outside of that - I would say start with your Area Junior Trainer. They generally know more or less everyone locally. They also have a good reputation so if they say you are OK as an owner better producers will accpet that. And more importantly they know your daughter and what she can reasonably expect to gain over the next 12 months. 148s are a narrow window and to get the best out of them you may need more than one as your daughter goes through each stage.

If you are in a large competative Pony Club - one that supplies to things like the Mini Majors - that will do as well. For all the same reasons. If you have had 128 and 138 success the previous owners of your 128s etc will also have made the same transition. Although their 148s may be limited to open classes at the lower levels you can learn a lot from those ponies - although the time to compete them tends to be limited and they move on quite quickly.

TM2019

New User
Visit site
Hope TM can come though for you. This is THE holy grail of 148s I'm afraid.

What can work is to find a 148 competed by an adult. We had a couple over DD's Junior career. They tend to pick up very few points but gain masses of experience. You do have to be careful with your producer though as they can be overjumped too young. Depends on your view of Junior BS ponies and whether you mind overmuch about them breaking down. Oddly BE Under 18's is also a good place to pick up low milage 148s.

Outside of that - I would say start with your Area Junior Trainer. They generally know more or less everyone locally. They also have a good reputation so if they say you are OK as an owner better producers will accpet that. And more importantly they know your daughter and what she can reasonably expect to gain over the next 12 months. 148s are a narrow window and to get the best out of them you may need more than one as your daughter goes through each stage.

If you are in a large competative Pony Club - one that supplies to things like the Mini Majors - that will do as well. For all the same reasons. If you have had 128 and 138 success the previous owners of your 128s etc will also have made the same transition. Although their 148s may be limited to open classes at the lower levels you can learn a lot from those ponies - although the time to compete them tends to be limited and they move on quite quickly.
H

TM2019

New User
Visit site
Sorry for the spamming - after lurking for years i finally became a member, but still getting my head around how to reply etc! Lexie01 I have sent you a DM (I think!)