Competition Report - it's a blooming long way to Hickstead

DressageCob

Visit site
Three weeks ago at Beaver Hall, my little dressage cob and I qualified for the Dressage Masters League Finals at Hickstead in the prelim. I then had a mad panic while I tried to organise time off work and company for the trip. Luckily my friend also qualified and managed to rearrange her work, so we were all set to go. That was until she fell over and broke her wrist the day before our trip! So no competition for her (although she did come with me).

The next trauma was on Monday morning when I brought my horse in. Naughty Albert had been partying that night and had lost a front shoe. Frantically phoned around and organised a farrier at Hickstead on standby if my regular farrier couldn't make it. Luckily the usual farrier could come. Unluckily he wasn't free until after 12, when my grand plan had been to set off before 11.

Once the shoe had been reattached we were on the road for 1pm. My little horse is a dream to travel, but the journey tested him. Of course, due to the late departure, we hit the traffic on the M25. It was a car park. Being in a little lorry we were able to take a diversion through some very pretty villages. It was very slow though and the stop start made Albert a tad impatient (not least because he needed a wee and doesn't like weeing on the lorry). The plan had always been to share the driving. Due to the fracture I drove the full journey myself, resolving not to stop for a break because it wasn't fair on my horse. It took a total of 6 hours to get there. I arrived flustered and exhausted but also in awe of my surroundings. We went last year too but it never ceases to amaze.

Albert quickly settled into his little stable. I don't know how people cope with the more stressy horses. I love that I can take Albert anywhere and he takes it in his stride.

IMG_7961_1.jpg

I quickly hopped on board for a little bit of schooling just to unwind from the journey and focus our minds. He was rather jolly but lovely and forwards.

The following day I wasn't on until mid morning. This meant a leisurely few hours of walking the horse, mucking him out, shopping and a sneaky visit to the All England Jumping Course and the famous Hickstead Bank. Blooming high!
IMG_7977.jpg

Then to prepare for the test. The arena was a tad daunting, with all its flowers.
IMG_7963.jpg

Nerves were brewing at this point. I spent my working in getting Albert bendy and forwards. He's a former driving horse so bendy doesn't come naturally. I was also bearing in mind that last year at Hickstead, as well as every other time we've been in a big arena and big competition, Albert got a bit of stage fright and went a bit introverted. He would do a perfectly adequate test (with occasional bouts of 4 time canter) but not as flashy as his usual tests. I was therefore determined to have a forwards test with no 4 time canter.

The test itself was varied. His trot work was brilliant. Among the best he's done recently. Lovely and forwards and bendy. The first canter again felt lovely. Canter is his weakest gait, partly because he's not as balanced and significantly because I don't ride it well! His second canter, on the left rein, is the one he likes to do four time. I therefore rode it, unfortunately to the point of overcooking it. It was a very forwards canter, to the point of being a tad too onward bound. He wasn't as balanced as he should have been but it was a vast improvement on the introverted Albert of 2014. The test ends with a free walk to K and then medium walk to D before trotting. Because I'd spent working in getting Albert in front of my leg and waiting for the next instruction he took my gathering up of the reins as a preparation for walk to canter. I caught him before he set off but we did have a scuttle. The end walk therefore was a bit tense and hurried, as was the halt at the end.

I walked away proud of Albert, irrespective of placing or percentage. He was forwards and confident which makes me excited for our next competition.

His scores were varied. One judge liked him and gave us 8s and 7s with 6s for the walk and the left canter. The other judge saw more to improve on, but again was 7s and 6s but with the occasional 5. We scored 63.56%. I'll admit I was disappointed at the percentage as it felt better than that, but this was a national championship and our test had clear issues. It was fair. And we weren't last. In fact the last placing (6th) was 65% so I didn't feel that we were miles off the mark.

When I looked at the photos I was surprised to see my posture. I didn't feel tense, but the photos tell a different story. My shoulders were hunched (not helped by the fact that my shoulder pads in the jacket have become warped and stand up) and my face is a pictorial representation of nerves. I need to be more aware of myself next time.

The journey home was far swifter- only 4.5 hours. It seems a terribly long way to go for 5 minutes of stress but it's always worth it to go to Hickstead. It's a great environment and feels like a big deal. I'm just so proud that my little rescue cob has qualified to go two years on the trot. Next up- novice and elementary trailblazers finals!

Here are some photos (I have permission to post them, as they are mine!)

IMG_7982.png

f47b02fc-0347-42ec-8f22-36e2144fcff7.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

4673ac68-3068-4971-8519-b85d5bad86aa.jpg

3012d040-47e9-4a26-ad8f-ca366b4fa39f.jpg

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Great report and some fantastic pictures there, Albert looks a real character. Sounds like you coped with a very stressful journey well, and hickstead is a scary place to ride, for both horse and rider! So often we think we're not tense when we go into the ring, and can't understand why our horse is, so it's interesting when you see pictures and realise that the tension is there.

silv

Visit site
Cute horse, looks very pleased with himself. Sounds like quite an adventure. Must have been quite stressful with the lost shoe, being late leaving then the traffic jam not to mention your friends injury so well done!

monte1

Visit site
well done, great results in a challenging atmosphere, what a great report and I love your horse, he looks a real character ;-)
journey sounds a nightmare, the M25 round to Hickstead is not a fun place to be when the traffic is bad, we got stuck there on way to pony club showjumping comp one year, three hours at a standstill with a luckily, very patient pony!

Bernster

Visit site
Lovely report. Well done. He looks super and you are way too hard on yourself ! I think that any dressage test is a lot of bovver for 5 mins of excitement, so getting to Hickstead and doing a decent test is frankly amazeballs to me !

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you all, you're very kind!

Albert is indeed quite a character. Such a cheeky chap. I couldn't ask for a better horse; he tries his socks off at everything, however hard he finds it. He's a very genuine little chap <3

CAH7

Visit site
What a great report :) Well done you for qualifying twice, making the journey, producing a good test and getting some lovely photos. Best of luck at Trailblazers :)