Competition Report - SJ & XC

Sheep

Visit site
OH had to go to his mums this morning, so he went in his work van and I took car to yard. Hitched up trailer because I am now a professional trailer hitcher-upper. Fed horse and took fat retiree Arrow down to the field. Packed kit, loaded horse independently and then our pal came to the yard, to join us as team groom for the day. Planned to leave at 11am, OH didn’t arrive until 11.15am because I sent him on emergency trip to buy overreach boots. Good job I had trailer on already ?

Set off then and arrived just before 12, went over to have a nosy at the sj which looked enormous, they obviously weren’t (75cm-ish). Wandered around the xc and decided which fences I should panic about (fence 3 was high on the agenda)

After OH & Groom had eaten their v important breakfast baps we went to get Big Unit ready.

Warmed up sj (on grass, but comp was on surface) which was highly stressful because I’ve not recently done sj fences on grass but anyway ?? he warmed up nicely despite the very undulating terrain so up we went to the sj.Some dodgy riding from jockey but super horse jumped a nice clear and the flattering video stills make it look like I did a good job.

1A392F7F-1AEF-4513-A63C-2D155E08B39A.jpegB990CA24-2802-44FB-A03B-885B82431741.jpeg024E591F-3A21-4CDB-8FFC-0ECB1082041A.jpeg

Straight down to the xc without any further warm up, slightly concerned due to lack of attempting any natural fences but hey ho. I did spot a couple of nice warm-up looking fences in a mown field but the xc starter just glared at me and said “no, start in 30” when I asked if I could pop over one as a warm up.

Sticky over fence 1, looky at fence 2 and almost sideways over fence 3 but then we hit our stride and flew round up until fence 11 which was a jump into water, with an alternative to take a long route to avoid the water. Last minute decided, sod it we will jump in, but my preparation was highly ineffective and we had a stop so I quickly handbrake turned round to the alternative. It was a poor decision to try as I just didn’t ride as well as I should have and I know he can be looky at water. Anyway - over the rest with no issues! He was super strong and keen ? we had him in a Dutch gag which he seemed to like, I rode off the snaffle ring so will drop down one next time and add a flash, just so I can be a little bit clearer and more concise with him.
87609753-C589-4326-AF9A-026CB627A6C0.jpeg4923F3A9-7B8E-4C5B-AF0F-5E1682D56914.jpegB3FF986C-55D1-474A-830C-62110CBA12C6.jpeg

All things considered, it was mega big fun and the horse went like a dream. He carted round his ineffective and slightly nervous rider and jumped very nicely!! So I am going to have to transition from being a Dressage Diva to an Eventing* Equestrienne. So delighted with him, wee bit disappointed about the stop but I know it was my fault and will not take my foot off the pedal next time!

*we might have something in the pipeline involving all 3 phases…

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
well done, looks good to me....i used to ride mine in a ditch gag with 2 reins and mainly rode on the snaffle with the lower rein for emergencies,like hurtling towards an unjumpable (by me) ditch or a road...looking forward to your next event pics..