Complaint from neighbour - made me laff

blitznbobs

Visit site
Non horsey neighbour had a go at me for 'starving ' my overweight sec a.., he's in a 'bald' paddock as he desperately needs to lose weight and today she came round to tell me to put him in the long grass in the paddock next door... I told her to google laminitis and get back to me about it... Wonder if she will.

Boxers

Visit site
Maybe, you should print out some info about laminitis and give to her instead of telling her to google it.

I can understand why non horsey people would think you're being mean not letting the pony have the good grass, but you might have sounded a bit sarcastic telling her to google it and get back to you.

We don't all know everything about everything!

EllenJay

Visit site
Non horsey neighbour had a go at me for 'starving ' my overweight sec a.., he's in a 'bald' paddock as he desperately needs to lose weight and today she came round to tell me to put him in the long grass in the paddock next door... I told her to google laminitis and get back to me about it... Wonder if she will.

No wonder people think horse women are up themselves. Did you actually have to be so rude to someone who was showing concern? If I was in your shoes, I would have explained how bad long lush grass is for equines, but thanked her for her concern, also would have asked her to keep an eye out for people feeding the pony.

millikins

Visit site
The neighbours at a yard I was on used to tip their lawn mowings over the fence. They had been "told off" for it but nobody had ever bothered to explain why they shouldn't. The chap I spoke to just looked bewildered and said "but it's just grass". Non horsey people have no reason to know stuff like this.

Geminismum

Visit site

I would have done exactly the same after telling her to mind her own business! I don't have enough time to spend with my horse as I'd like without spending that time explaining to people who really don't matter about the what's and whys about keeping my horse! If she genuinely had concern she would do some research before airing her opinion. People make assumptions without knowing any of the facts and that their problem not yours!!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Errr... how would someone who didn't know about that kind of thing go about researching why a horse was in a grassless paddock? Thank god there are sensible people out there who will spend time educating those that don't know. I'd rather someone did that than watch a horse slowly starve because of some idiot owner not feeding it. At least that person cared enough to comment.

undergroundoli

Visit site
I would have done exactly the same after telling her to mind her own business! I don't have enough time to spend with my horse as I'd like without spending that time explaining to people who really don't matter about the what's and whys about keeping my horse! If she genuinely had concern she would do some research before airing her opinion. People make assumptions without knowing any of the facts and that their problem not yours!!

The people you tell to mind their own business almost certainly own cars. They like getting from a to b without having to slow down for people riding animals they know nothing about down the road. Ultimately that is a problem for us as riders.

I can politely give some one a lami 101 in about 30 seconds while thanking them for their concern. Bet the people I talk to have a better impression of horsey folk than the people trying to misguidedly help your horse.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
It's easy to be offended by someone questioning your horse management, but I would say good on the neighbours for caring. They could have turned a blind eye and like the notorious case of Mr Gray starving his horses the horses suffered in silence or they could have phoned the RSPCA.
I wouldn't be condemning a caring animal lover at least they had the decency to knock and voice their concerns in person.

Geminismum

Visit site
Perhaps I should explain why she doesn't have shoes on, what tack I choose to ride in and why she's in the field when it's raining too. Before I approached ANY animal owner to criticise how they care for their animals I would make sure Id done some homework first!! And I think you're being slightly naive if you think your "lami 101" would be the end of it as chances are she'd come back with something else. I'm not saying you should all do the same as OP, but just that I would have. Life is too short,

Indy

Visit site
I live next door to a pub and my fields are next to the beer garden. The amount of time I've had to explain the reason my Shetland wears a muzzle is not because she's nasty and not because I'm cruel but because I'm trying to prevent laminitis - then I've gone into why lush grass, carrots and apples are all bad for her and I'd rather people didn't feed her and the consequences of what could happen if god forbid she ever succumbed to it. Let me tell you most folk are quite shocked and one lady got quite upset when I told her about pedal bone rotation.

One family - after I had my lengthy discussion with said they had been taking apples to a pony down the road from their house and had been feeding it and the lady who they presumed was the owner stropped about and glared at them when they said hello - the next time they went there was a do not feed the pony sign and they thought she was just being snobby. They were absolutely mortified when I said the pony was probably laminitic and she was just trying to keep healthy.

So basically I've taken the time to have a friendly conversation with folk who now appreciate that the do not feed signs aren't just there because the owner is up their own bottom but to keep their horse or pony healthy.

Of course I could just shout at them and tell everyone I'm going to stick their carrots up their jacksy if they so much as think of feed them to my horses but really, where's the harm in a bit of education?

undergroundoli

Visit site
Perhaps I should explain why she doesn't have shoes on, what tack I choose to ride in and why she's in the field when it's raining too. Before I approached ANY animal owner to criticise how they care for their animals I would make sure Id done some homework first!! And I think you're being slightly naive if you think your "lami 101" would be the end of it as chances are she'd come back with something else. I'm not saying you should all do the same as OP, but just that I would have. Life is too short,

Maybe I'm naive but in my experience when I thank someone for their concern and explain why I'm doing something I also give the impression that I'm a reasonable, good hearted individual. We go our separate ways thinking all is good with the world and with them sure I'm on it. Seems I'm not alone in my experiences but If I just told people to get lost I could see they might still have concerns.

I hardly think its likely that someone who doesn't know about lami would even notice a horse was unshod.

Do you think life being short is a justification for passing horses at speed? Courtesy costs nothing.

STRIKER

Visit site
maybe Geminismum should go and play in the traffic and some kind person might stop and ask her if she needs some help before being run over, on the other hand they could just run her over

Indy

Visit site

My horses are all unshod too - what do you say when you get the 'why is your horse wearing trainers' question or do you just tell everyone to cock off?

STRIKER

Visit site
blitznbobs, horses dont lose weight by being starved that messes up their metabolism and causes more insulin to run through their body and they actually dont lose weight and being hungry and in pain hurts esp when the stomach is continuing to create acid. Its also why people say my horse is getting nothing and is in a starvation paddock but is not losing weight. so I do hope whilst it is off the grass it is being fed enough hay so it can do the equivalent of trickle feed.

Otherwise your nosy neighbour might have to report you to the RSPCA after searching on google as to why you are not feeding your horse.

HashRouge

Visit site

Maybe we're just polar opposites, but personally I'd say that "life is too short" to go around being rude to everyone who shows an interest in my horse!

Geminismum

Visit site
My horses are all unshod too - what do you say when you get the 'why is your horse wearing trainers' question or do you just tell everyone to cock off?

I just keep myself to myself and people don't generally ask but I'd probably just say that I keep her in the way that I think is best as she is my horse. She doesn't have boots though.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
To be fair to OP though, she did say that the neighbour "had a go" at her. For all we know, that could mean coming in all guns blazing, shouting and screaming. I think it depends on the attitude of the neighbour to be honest. I would always want to explain to someone my reasons for doing something, especially if they were showing concern, but it depends on the manner of the person asking. They could just be an *******.

Geminismum

Visit site
maybe Geminismum should go and play in the traffic and some kind person might stop and ask her if she needs some help before being run over, on the other hand they could just run her over

Really?..? Hoping that someone gets run over for posting their opinion on a forum is a bit sadistic to be honest. And I wouldn't wish for any horse or rider to be hit by a car. completely uncalled for!

Indy

Visit site
You want to try riding through a pit village and keeping yourself to yourself. Sometimes I think by the time I get from one end to the other most folk could probably pass a stable management exam!

Sometimes I think I could just ignore folk but it's not worth the nasty names what get hurled down the road - different folks - different strokes and all that

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The man who lives at the end of my horse's paddock complained that he didn't have enough grass and he was having to feed him vegetables over the fence. Once I'd explained why too much grass would be a death sentence, he was mortified and has been lovely ever since. He just cared and the explanation put his mind at rest.

I was quite impressed that the owner of some scabby looking Shetlands in a field next to a pub, had put a notice up with her contact number to ring if worried. Being a horse owner, I was able to work out that these were rescues. but to a non horsey person, they must have looked very neglected.

Zero00000

Visit site
On the flip side - Concerned person could have approached owner and asked why horse was in grass-less paddock, instead of assuming owner was starving horse, and telling her what to do with her horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
On the flip side - Concerned person could have approached owner and asked why horse was in grass-less paddock, instead of assuming owner was starving horse, and telling her what to do with her horse.

I agree with this. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone decided to come and TELL me I was starving my horse or take it upon themselves to feed MY horse (like your neighbour dogatemysalad!). All they should have done is ask for the reason! Pretty simple.

blitznbobs

Visit site
blitznbobs, horses dont lose weight by being starved that messes up their metabolism and causes more insulin to run through their body and they actually dont lose weight and being hungry and in pain hurts esp when the stomach is continuing to create acid. Its also why people say my horse is getting nothing and is in a starvation paddock but is not losing weight. so I do hope whilst it is off the grass it is being fed enough hay so it can do the equivalent of trickle feed.

Otherwise your nosy neighbour might have to report you to the RSPCA after searching on google as to why you are not feeding your horse.

FYI It's an acre patch that is 'bald' not bald - ie it's just a lot shorter than the rest - trust me he's not being starved - he just has to work harder to get his food - he also gets balancer everyday for his vits ...

Juni141

Visit site
The venom on this forum never ceases to amaze me!! If we never stuck our necks on the line, behaved in a concerned fashion or asked questions when we didn't know the answer would the world be a better place??

The national press now runs plenty of stories on animal welfare including horses, which I assume we all support? So surely we shouldn't be so offended and quick to lash out if a member of the public, allbeit a misinformed one, shows concern.

Without education the world is a scary place and IMO if people took a little more time to share their knowledge and gain knowledge from others it would be a far more pleasant place for everyone!!

Theocat

Visit site
Good for the neighbour for being brave enough to say something.

Good for all those on here who take the time to explain and reply to others.

For those of you saying 'life's too short' - you're doing the horse world no favours, you're probably just confirming to those who've asked that you're uncaring and don't look after your horse, and frankly it's just plain rude to reply to anyone like that in any circumstances.

Darremi

Visit site

You need to exercise your horse more. Aerobic exercise is the best way to lose weight for humans and horses alike.

Get out trotting and cantering frequently :).

Greylegs

Visit site
Good for the neighbour for being brave enough to say something.

Good for all those on here who take the time to explain and reply to others.

For those of you saying 'life's too short' - you're doing the horse world no favours, you're probably just confirming to those who've asked that you're uncaring and don't look after your horse, and frankly it's just plain rude to reply to anyone like that in any circumstances.

Totally agree with this. A bit of polite education is far better for neighbourly relations and the horse world in general. How would OP have reacted if said neighbour had told her someone had been riding her horse in the field or that it had spent the morning rolling about and kicking at its stomach? A good neighbour can be a valuable asset.