Complete Nightmare!

MontyandZoom

Visit site
I am fairly new to this forum but just wanted to vent about my recent horse-related stress!

I used to part-loan my boy for a year when I was at uni. I looked after him three days a week and paid half his costs. I very quickly realised that his owner didn't really want him and that the days that I wasn't responsible for him, he wasn't cared for properly. I took it upon myself to look after him every day and she didn't notice since she rarely went down to the field to check on him anyway. I moved back to London in March and in May, my boyfriend went back to uni to visit some friends. He popped in on Monty (he was kept in a tiny field on his own) and found him in a terrible state. He had lost so much weight that he looked like a rescue horse. My boyfriend suggested to his owner that she hand him over to us since we would give him a good home and she agreed.

We moved him down five weeks ago and I was ready to give him an amazing home for the rest of his life. He is turned out with others in a really big field and the first week went really well. He bonded with the other horses and instantly looked settled. However, on the sixth day a new horse was turned out with them who turned out to be a rig. He went mental and beat up all the geldings and mounted the mares. Several horses were injured but unfortunately Monty was the worst. He was kicked all the way through a fence which had barbed wire on it. He had 29 staples in his NF leg where the rig had kicked him and minor cuts covering his whole body.

It was devastating! His medical regime was gruelling but after two weeks box rest and a week of individual turnout in the paddock, he was ready to go out with the others. I put him out with three cobby mares in the smaller field that is next to the big field and he was so happy to be back! He has been out with them for 10 days and he loves it.

THEN...........I went after work last night and he was waiting by the gates with his friends. He was standing a bit funny but he gets stiff behind as he's 19 so I didn't think anything of it. I put his headcollar on and was chatting away to another owner when I looked at his hindquarters and saw the most horrific gash! It is about 5 inches long and deep as anything (the vet easily stuck his whole hand in!). I immediately fell to bits! It is horrible and the worst thing is I can't work out how he did it. The vet says it could be a kick or he might have caught it on something.I went round the whole field looking for something sharp but there is nothing and none of the horses in his field could have done it (they're all 14HHish ploddy cobs and he is 16.2HH tb/id).Besides, I wouldn't think he would be all snuggled up so soon after he'd done it if the mares were responsible. The only explanation is if one of the geldings kicked him over the fence but this seems bizzarre since none of them have any marks on their legs.

I now have no idea what to do or how to feel! It's so rubbish. I feel like I never should have brought him here. It has been so upsetting and draining to see him in pain all the time.

Sorry for the long moan! I feel just about ready to give up!

bex1984

Visit site
Poor boy, don't beat yourself up about it, these things happen and you're obviously doing your best for him.

Unfortunately ploddy cobs can have quite a kick in them, so he could have been caught by one of the mares. Can you section off a bit of the field with leccy fencing for a while to keep him safe, but he'll be able to talk to the others over the fence?

Hope his cut heels soon.

martinka

Visit site
Arhh, poor you. Could you not move him somewhere else? I know it sounds easier than it really is, because it is hard these days to find a decent yard with better facilities and management.
That is what i have to do at the moment. trying to find somewher more suitable for my filly.
Do you think another horse could have been turn out with him and his friends you did not know about?
Or do you think a human could hurt him? there have been some cases recently...
Sounds awful. I feel for you. xx

vanessahook

Visit site
I really feel for you, i have had a few horsey nightmares recently myself and i know exactly how you feel. Just remeber your boy needs you to look after him, and im sure he really appreciates everything you have done for him so far.
Unfortunately accidents happen with horses and its awful when they seem to all happen at once, but im sure things will settle down soon.

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Reckon fencing a bit off is a good plan since he's already going mental in the stable. Thanks for the pep talk. My dad tried to suggest it's not meant to be but I swiftly cut him dead and said that Monty's just bloody accident prone! Maybe I can just tell myself that a few times and I might start to believe it!

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Poor you, please don't blame yourself for this, unfortunately that's horses for you. Some are more accident prone than others.

Hope you can fence him a little bit off so he can still go out, and if he's on his own he hopefully won't keep getting injured.

helenlaw23

Visit site
Hey poor you and poor neddy! How awful! He doesnt seem to have much luck does he!
frown.gif

Id say maybe he need to just go out with one other horse in a sectioned field to try to keep him out of trouble from anything. Goodness knows how he got a gash like that sounds horrible!
Dont give up though chick. Hes got hopefully at least another 10 years with you and it really has to get better. You did a great thing rescuing him from his former owner you should be proud of yourself. Things will get better. *hugs*

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Everyone's being so nice!!! Thanks guys. I am going to explore all my options today since there are a few yards around who have spaces. My mum thinks someone has hurt him and the vet said that he couldn't completely rule that out.........but I think I will cry again if I give that any more thought for now.

cazza

community.webshots.com
Could he have got the gash from rolling on a shoe in the field. Have seem some pretty horrific gashes on horses where they have lost a shoe in the soft ground and as soon as it hardens up there is a shoe with nails stuck in the earth. I could be something as simple as that that caused the injury if you have inspected all the fencing and can't see anything for it. Hope he is soon on the road to recovery soon. Keep your chin up chucky at least he is with someone who genuinely loves and is caring for him.

Blizzard

Visit site
((hugs))

Dont beat yourself up, you have basically rescued this horse and are doing everything for him that you can.

horses tend to do everything at once, both of mine are currently off work with various injuries! Thats horses for you, mine are always coming in with another bloody scrape or gash!
smirk.gif

colmio

Visit site
I think your boy has actually had a huge amount of luck lately. He has clearly come to a very caring owner, which is the very best thing an older gentleman can hope for.

Sometimes these things do happen in close proximity to each other. It is so distressing to find your horse injured. Just keep on doing your best and enjoying him, hopefully he has had his fair share of glitches now.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Sounds like you have done and are doing all you possibly could, and he is a very lucky boy - but you've had a really hard time. Things will get better, in the meantime loads of *hugs*

If you have him in the Sussex area, I would talk to everyone in the yard about increasing security, as there have been three examples of deliberate injury around us recently in East Sussex. Can't even begin to imagine who could do that sort of thing, but one of things that will deter them is security and fear of being caught.

Good luck and lots of positive vibes! <<>>

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Gosh how awful *huge hugs*
hope horsie gets better soon, turnout new horses can be so risky, we had one horse had to be PTS after an attack by its fieldmates