Compromise

Scratchline

Visit site
I'd call it jumping to conclusions actually.

Funny, that is just what carreg has done with me. probably what you have also done becuase you have no idea what i have in the past been involved in. The reason I am against fox hunting and digging is because I do know exactly what goes on, not because I dont.

Its called making an informed decision. Gamedogs are my thing, always have been. That doesnt mean that activities involving them has any place in todays society!
We will lose our game dogs, that is the price to be paid. As it prevents them and other animals suffering in an unaceptable way then so be it.
They can only be bred from those tested in their particular field and IMHO those practises are wrong.

Scratchline

Visit site
Terrierwork is carried out at the request of the landowner - pre-ban some would have wanted the fox disposed of no matter what and others would prefer that it wasn't dug. Hunting offered a pest control service, but this is just one aspect of hunting. I don't see how Carreg's differing priorities are in the least bit contradictory or less valuable than someone who hunts mainly for a good gallop cross country.

Pre ban, from the world of the working terrier..........A terrier crawls into the earth and deliberately places himself in the greatest possible danger. He forces his way into uncomfortable situations which may cost him his life. He strives to get into close proximity with his oponent , and when he does, he makes life extremely difficult for that opponent. He barks, he bites, he nips, he holds, he bolts or he kills. Sometimes, he himself loses his life.

Why? Why?

A working terrier does not do all this to feed himself. He does not kill to eat. He does so from some basic instinct which tells him that he must destroy this creature which stands before him. He must, he can do no other, for this is what he was bred for.
To serve his master in pursuit of the varmint.

I thought I would do some reading and found this :eek:))

Bunce

Visit site
There is no compromise on animal welfare. Indeed the law should be strengthened to make any activity by hunts which causes wild mammals to be accidentally hunted illegal.

rafferty

Visit site
The problem is Bunce the ban is not working.
Most of the people on this site probably share the same views on a whole host of rural issues surley its better to work together to attain a good balance in the countryside.
The wildlife population in general needs as much help as it can get. Farmers are the ones who can really make a difference.
I think we need to look at the big picture. I'd rather see a well organised hunt working to strict guidelines than landowners throwing their toys out of their prams and deciding to just shoot anything that moves or use poison and snares.
I own a cat but look at the damage they do.
I still am more anti than pro but I think the licensed hunts with strict guidelines would have been a better answer.
I know you W****** on both sides but the majority I hope are decesnt people with some regard for our wildlife. Appolgies for grammar or spelling I'm to drunk to check.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Its called making an informed decision.

On the basis of one sentence which read 'the dog was snug as a bug wrapped in a fleece' you immediately asserted that the dog was seriously ill. I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination call that an informed decision.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Interesting post ugly_dog - that was exactly what the Middle Way Group proposed in the debate, however representatives from various anti-hunting groups like Bunce didn't think this went far enough and were determined to press for an outright ban. Unfortunately they didn't have a clue what to suggest as an alternative and we ended up with the current dogs dinner.

On the other point about countryside management, I had an interesting chat with one of our farmer clients the other night. He was frustrated by the way funding worked for the Entry Level Scheme, where there is a flat rate payment per point gained with management options - he wanted to plant wild bird mixes on his land, but the cost outweighed the price he was paid and as such he was sticking with 'easy' options like hedge trimming and ditch management, which didn't have as much of a tangible benefit to birds and wildlife but cost him little.