Concerned - Reporting a riding school/instructor?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
LA inspection does involve a vet where they check soundness, heart and eyes, however, I know of places that conceal horses and this is never checked.

They don't check quality of staff or see horses ridden.
So IMO the whole thing needs tightening up.

I agree, I know of one yard where the inspector stood on the yard and horses were brought out of an American Barn to be inspected one by one, with tack on to make sure it was "suitable".

The horses were rotated so the good ones were brought around 2 or even 3 times, and the tack/ numnahs swapped so they did not look the same! Even some livery horses were shown, not that they ever were used on the school.

This was many many years ago, but I am afraid that it would not surprise me if the same did not still go on.

Mammoth

Visit site
I've not read the whole thread apologies if this has been answered, does anyone know if you can report a riding school which also has a few liveries if:
a) the fencing isn't suitable ie barb wire
b) the grazing the horses are on is unsafe, its being used to dump building waste from a house renovation.
c) they are using a instructor with no qualifications

charlie76

Visit site
I've not read the whole thread apologies if this has been answered, does anyone know if you can report a riding school which also has a few liveries if:
b) the grazing the horses are on is unsafe, its being used to dump building waste from a house renovation.
The yard I was referring to has mainly barbed wire so this can't matter
Not sure about the field having waste in it, depends if they look in that field
Instructors don't have to be qualified only insured. There has to be at least one qualified instructor but that's it!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

The fencing is suitable from a legal viewpoint if its enough to keep the animals inside their field. What its made of is irrelevant. I think it only becomes a welfare issue if any injuries aren't treated.

Environmental Health I think are the ones who deal with dumped waste if its fly tipping or contaminating waterways etc. If its not fly tipping and the landowner is allowing the waste to be dumped, the Planning department will also be interested if permission to dump the waste has not been granted.

If its a BHS or ABRS approved riding school they may be interested in the instructors being unqualified.

BHS_official

Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV
Visit site
Riding schools are inspected by the BHS every two yrs, if they are a where to train centre its every year,once for the where to train and then the general inspection. Only on the where to train do they see lessons in progress and horses ridden. The BHS inspection at the yard I ran was basically done by way of a check list which the inspector ticked off whilst sat in the office, in the ten years I worked there he never actually looked round more than once, the same man came every year and he just took our word for it! I kept the place to a high standard but I can see why other things slip through the net at bad establishment s ( and if the BHS want to ask me the name of the inspector and yard I would be happy to say in confidence) .
LA inspection does involve a vet where they check soundness, heart and eyes, however, I know of places that conceal horses and this is never checked.
They also check the fields and facilities although only on site fields,, they can be stood in crap a few yards up the road!
They also check tack, first aid kits, feed quality etc.
They don't check quality of staff or see horses ridden.
So IMO the whole thing needs tightening up.

Just to clarify a couple of points: Approved Centres are inspected annually, not every two years. If the Centre is also a Where to Train Centre, then the annual inspection alternates between WTT and the other Approvals inspection. This year, we’ve introduced a number of changes and this includes assessing the quality of the instruction and lessons. Inspections do also involve an inspection of the premises.

charlie76, if you’d like to share the name of the inspector and yard with us, please do drop a note to approvals@bhs.org.uk. As mentioned, this does of course apply to anyone with concerns or questions about a BHS Approved Centre.

Skib

sites.google.com
I came to riding as an adult beginner. This thread and the questions it raises are of great concern to me. My entire riding life for the last 12 years has been done in riding schools recognised either by BHS or by the British Association of Riding Schools, or both.
But the approval of schools by these two reputable bodies may be mis-interpreted by the general public who are more used to the approval o0f standards in the UK education system. As far as I know BHS recognition does not stipulate that all teachers must be qualified, only that there must be one qualified instructor on the staff.
It is in my experience the school insurance (not the BHS) that stipulates that any client riding a horse must be supervised by a member of staff. The age, qualifications and ability of that member of staff seem irrelevant.
Students at a riding school book lessons knowing nothing about the qualifications of the person teaching them, and may not (for the safety of young female staff) be told their surname.
Moreover it is entirely unwise for any client or student to make a complaint or express disquiet about the instruction or safety standards at any school at which they wish or may need to continue as a client. Clients and students lack the status to complain about a school and members of RS staff who complain, leave and go to work for a rival establishment may be suspected of having a commercial interest.