Concrete additive

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm hoping to get the hay feeder area hardcored and concreted. I have however hit a snag... we can't get a ready mix lorry up to that area. So I'm trying to find out about additives to make the concrete tougher/urine resistant that we could add to concrete as it is mixed in a small concrete mixer on the spot. I'm not finding the answers very easily and I'm wondering if anyone on here has any advice?

I did find an eye wateringly expensive additive that you use instead of water. Would it be OK as a top layer or does it need to be used on the whole thickness of the slab?

Can you seal the slab instead?

Thanks. :)

sport horse

Visit site
I think the strength depends also on the mix - less sand more concrete = stronger concrete. You will need to lay it all in one thickness - ie no layers as they will break up and chip away. How near can you get the concrete lorry? They do have extension chutes and it would be much easier!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Imagine a Welsh valley... a small lorry can get along the single track road and can then park in the yard at the bottom. Hay feeder is 1/2 way up the valley, which is the lower end of the winter field. So concrete would have to be moved by wheelbarrow or tractor uphill through the lower paddock and into the winter field.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Ok I looked up PVA bond and the site I found recommended SBR bond for outside. I cannot work out if you are meant to dilute it and add to the mix, or use it as a sealer once the slab is dry. I think this is because they are talking about houses rather than 'farm' use. More research and better googling skills required! ;)

Has anyone put a concrete slab down for a field shelter? What did you use?

smolmaus

Visit site
Structural engineer checking in! Though I do get the supplier to design my mixes for me ? I have also consulted the OH, also a structural eng and we are both thinking that you just need to follow the instructions you're given for the cement and for the small mixer. Messing with proportions is an exact science. Mix times and water content is going to be the most important thing here. Don't add more water than you need!

The smoother you can get the top surface the better as well. You can buy dry shake surface hardeners and additives for resisting damage from ammonia etc. but those are really intended for industrial warehouses and slurry tanks etc, I think both would be overkill for what you need. I will look into it for you if you want to go that direction though, I have a supplier I can ask.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thanks. I worried about using 'normal' concrete because an acquaintance has concreted their field shelter and after a year the urine from the horses has damaged the concrete. My lot are terrible when it is awful weather... they just move over slightly and then pee/poo before returning to eat. So the slab will surely be exposed to urine and faeces.

ETA - maybe the damaged concrete was made too wet then? I'd definitely be happy if careful mixing meant that I didn't need an additive. :)

smolmaus

Visit site
Thanks. I worried about using 'normal' concrete because an acquaintance has concreted their field shelter and after a year the urine from the horses has damaged the concrete. My lot are terrible when it is awful weather... they just move over slightly and then pee/poo before returning to eat. So the slab will surely be exposed to urine and faeces.

ETA - maybe the damaged concrete was made too wet then? I'd definitely be happy if careful mixing meant that I didn't need an additive. :)
Yeah how its placed makes a huge difference. Without having done an agricultural concrete design myself (disclaimer) the super expensive ones just dont make sense on a very small scale.

Having now googled the PVA bond though that is a very reasonable price. I've used a similar product but not that one but the water replacement ratio seems to be 50:50 which would be hard to mess up lol. If you do want to give it a go do ring or email the supplier or the manufacturer and get a proper run through of how best to use it. Sika tech dept have always been very helpful!