Concrete panels in stables

Jayzee

Visit site
We have a barn going up at home and just looking at a number of different options around the base. It is a steel barn with timber cladding at the top. Has anyone used concrete paneling in a barn for stables (just the external walls, stables will be partitioned with commercial partitions).

How does panelling compare to concrete blocks?

I have looked at some previous threads about concrete blocks and wasn't totally sure what the consensus was as to the best block?

Thanks
(can offer some excess Christmas Toblerone)

Jayzee

Visit site
It’s a great alternative to breeze block , much smoother and I think smarter looking . So painting them is much easier and it doesn’t soak the paint up as much.

Thats great, are they safe? Compared to blocks that I've heard if not installed well can be kicked through?

Asha

Visit site
Thats great, are they safe? Compared to blocks that I've heard if not installed well can be kicked through?

yes they are safe . A friend of ours who makes steel framed buildings for a living has all his stables like this . So does my local vet

smolmaus

Visit site
A precast concrete panel is just a superior engineering product to a breeze block wall. I specify them a lot for industrial buildings so you're probably going to have a rather over-engineered stable block ? if you don't mind the extra cost, which is probably going to be considerable, then you'll have a smoother, more durable finish and less concern for moisture coming through the joints.

When you're looking at costs do factor in that lifting these panels in will require a small crane (maybe you could use the same one as for the steel installation if you plan it right) and the installation can't always be done by just anyone (or your regular brickie) so you might pay more for the actual building work as well as paying more for the panels.

Also agree with adding something on the inside as a liner, both for the horse and to avoid damage to the panels themselves. You can chip a bit out of a breeze block with a good kick and no big deal but chipping a chunk out of one of these just makes me wince!

texenstar

Visit site
I have concrete panels on my barn :) currently don't have seperate stables in the building yet but will probably use them as a partition wall too. They are great!

In terms of cost i guess they might be a bit more expensive but they will never fall down because a horse is leaning on them!

For wear and tear, I have had no issues but my biggest horse out of 3 is only 15.2hh and they are all barefoot :)

tatty_v

Visit site
Our stable block is concrete panelled on the outside with internal
Monarch partitions. I can’t fault it to be honest - smart, smooth, cool in summer, warm in winter and not damp! None of mine are kickers though.

Jayzee

Visit site
Thanks very much fro the replies! Really interesting I didn't realise they were common. Interesting about the damp too - I hadn't even thought about that

GS I have seen an arrangement that allows for windows - some shorter panels used at window height- not sure how to attach a photo

tatty_v

Visit site
Thanks very much fro the replies! Really interesting I didn't realise they were common. Interesting about the damp too - I hadn't even thought about that

GS I have seen an arrangement that allows for windows - some shorter panels used at window height- not sure how to attach a photo

Ours definitely have big metal framed windows!