Condition and turnout tips needed please!

Montyforever

Visit site
Am throwing myself in at the deep end this weekend and taking Mysti to a local show (walking distance or i wouldn't bother!) she's a welsh but before hearing about this show i took off her feather and tidied her mane/tail for winter as well as trimming under her chin etc so mountain and moorland is out! They are doing an inhand condition and turnout so i figured as i actually quite like plaiting etc why not give it a go, no huge ambition to win as she's recently been diagnosed with Cushings and started on prascend so doesn't look the best she ever has but still a healthy weight, not fat and a decent if slightly fluffier coat :)

So main questions, im going to practice sewing in plaits this week. Good at plaiting but always use bands so this is a new one for me! Also going to practise the checkerboard quarter marks as im useless with sharks teeth.
Any tips for those appreciated!
Obviously feet will be oiled, baby oil round muzzle/eyes, bathed in whitening shampoo the night before and covered in chalk then rugged up/bandaged overnight as ill have to leave early so wont appreciate having to do more than a spot wash in the morning. (she's grey!)

Her neck is quite long so planning on doing 9 plaits (her mane is very thin) is that an ok amount? Tail will be plaited as I've never pulled a tail in my life. Heels are trimmed as are ears/chin.

Any tips to get her looking her best (and whitest!) much appreciated :)

be positive

Visit site
As you have already trimmed I would make sure that it is really neat and done as a show pony would be, so as close as possible to emphasise the neatness, be careful about using chalk, it will be difficult to get off her body without looking as if she has a bad case of dandruff a grey turned out well will shine if it is sunny chalk will spoil that so just use where you really need it such as on lower legs, hocks and knees.
I don't think quarter marks will show that well on a grey that is changing coat, a couple of long strokes down and a curved brush stroke underneath and round the back may look neater and show her off better, have a practice and see what suits best.
Tail needs to be dazzling white, finish with a blue wash or rinse, condition then brush through, make sure the ends are absolutely straight, go through several times to make sure there are no long hairs missed, then plait down so it has a slight wave next day which can catch the sun, if there is any.
If you can plait with the thread hidden it will look very professional, 9 should be fine on a small pony.

Don't forget the bridle, if going as a show pony you need a velvet browband, it must be really clean, poke through the holes with a match so they are not clogged with soap, polish the bit rings.

You need to look the part as well so polish your boots, make sure your hair is neat and that you have gloves and a cane to complete the look.

Montyforever

Visit site
As you have already trimmed I would make sure that it is really neat and done as a show pony would be, so as close as possible to emphasise the neatness, be careful about using chalk, it will be difficult to get off her body without looking as if she has a bad case of dandruff a grey turned out well will shine if it is sunny chalk will spoil that so just use where you really need it such as on lower legs, hocks and knees.
I don't think quarter marks will show that well on a grey that is changing coat, a couple of long strokes down and a curved brush stroke underneath and round the back may look neater and show her off better, have a practice and see what suits best.
Tail needs to be dazzling white, finish with a blue wash or rinse, condition then brush through, make sure the ends are absolutely straight, go through several times to make sure there are no long hairs missed, then plait down so it has a slight wave next day which can catch the sun, if there is any.
If you can plait with the thread hidden it will look very professional, 9 should be fine on a small pony.

Don't forget the bridle, if going as a show pony you need a velvet browband, it must be really clean, poke through the holes with a match so they are not clogged with soap, polish the bit rings.

You need to look the part as well so polish your boots, make sure your hair is neat and that you have gloves and a cane to complete the look.

Oh i hadn't thought about the chalk taking the shine away! Will use sparingly then, she's almost completely white but she does have a sort of sheen on her coat.
Yep boots will be polished and got some brown gloves and a cane.
Her bridle is a jefferies one and only a couple of months old so luckily still looks brand new! Ill have to dig out her velvet browband - hadn't thought about that! Thanks, really helpful :)

WelshD

Visit site
Depending on her type you could present her as a show hunter pony with a plain browband and cavesson noseband - very common to see Welshies in the smaller hunter pony categories

Trim the hair around the coronet band and on the edges of the ears (obviously not inside them) - all these things give you a crisp finish

Montyforever

Visit site
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/...140721_22_13_34_Saved_Picture_zps8e22df57.jpg

FB_20140721_22_13_34_Saved_Picture_zps8e22df57.jpg

That's her in her bridle and a quick plaiting practice in august. As mane is trimmed now plaits shouldn't look as bulky but you get an idea of how thin her mane is, when loose her mane went to the bottom of her neck!
Should i stick with that browband then as its a wider/flat noseband?

Last edited:

WelshD

Visit site
She could really get away with being presented as either but that bridle and browband is correct for a show hunter pony so if you dont have a narrow noseband and velvet browband i would use that bridle as it is