Conditioning feed

Horsekaren

Visit site
I'm looking for tips on feed to help my boy build his muscle and top line. I know feed alone won't be enough.
At the moment he has fast fibre, magnesium and endless amounts of hay.
I'm looking for something with absolutely no fizz.... any recommendations?
He is a chunky cob ... well he is getting there , he will be a chunky cob but it's not a quick process
X

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Linseed, a top quality balancer such as Sure Grow and top quality haylage or hay. Don't be tempted to feed corn.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Just feed him normally and work appropriately for proper muscling, don't load up on starchy "conditioning" feeds. I take it he's not actually underweight?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is he underweight?

If not I'd stick to high fibre as you are. If he needs weight gain I'd add linseed.
Muscle will come with time :)

Horsekaren

Visit site
About a year and a half ago he was a Tank, and I mean TANK, beautiful muscle, looked like he could carry 25 stone no trouble, very strong and muscular but in the last year he lost a lot of weight. He was under weight when I found him, not massively but very far from his prime. I don't think he had the best time at the dealers so his weight dropped.
He is gaining weight and muscle slowly.... maybe a little to slowly for my liking, when I had him vetted they said don't feed him to make him fat as he condition was only mildly underweight.

Is there a specific linseed product your use? I'm so cautious of introducing anything that will make him fizzy but I am keen to work out a good feed plan to keep him gaining over winter once the grazing decreases.

Is he underweight?

If not I'd stick to high fibre as you are. If he needs weight gain I'd add linseed.
Muscle will come with time :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Make sure hes had his teeth done, a worm count, saddle and a physio check to make sure hes not holding himself funny from soreness. Feed a decent balancer, salt and a handful of linseed if you want and let time and work do the rest.

Mine was thin and poor when I bought him in January. Hes chubby and muzzled now. They soon put weight back on, so just leave him be for now.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I usually just got micronised linseed-just the basic product. At the moment im using Dodson and Horrel build and glow. It was recommended by loan horses owner and was what she fed to help keep him well muscled. She swore by it and I've just kept him on the same as it obviously works for him!
It's about £25 a bag but you don't feed a lot so it lasts a long time.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Mine is on micronised linseed and Baileys conditioning cubes (with some chaff and speedibeet/fastfibre). He's doing brilliantly on that, he's prone to being a little chubby and was very overweight when I got him, but he's at a really good weight at the moment, and looking very well and shiny :)