Cone of shame alternatives?

DressageCob

Visit site
Hello!

My pup is going to be neutered tomorrow. I have been told he will have to wear a cone of shame for 10-14 days while the wound heals. They said I can take it off if I'm keeping an eye on him, but he will need to wear it at least when he goes to bed or is left alone.

Henry sleeps in a crate normally. It is a large and he's a medium dog so it ought to be roomy enough, but I'm a still a little concerned about the collar fitting in. His bed does rather limit the space for getting into the crate. If there is no alternative, I can always take the larger bed out and just leave the vet bed and the cushion for snuggling in.

I was wondering if anyone has used a medical recovery suit instead of the cone after neutering? I've heard of female dogs wearing it after spaying but not boys. I haven't been able to speak to the vet, but have spoken to the veterinary nurse who said the priority is to avoid licking the stitches. but then I thought my dog could still bite the stitches wearing a suit, because he can just bite through the fabric, like when you scratch an itch over your clothing. Whereas the cone avoids accessing the area altogether.

Does anyone have a cone alternative? Or should I just stop being so soft and take away his bigger bed in the crate so he can fit in, cone and all ?

Thanks!

Equi

Visit site
I’ve never had to cone any male animal I’ve had neutered :/

you can get an inflatable donut though if you must. I wouldn’t put any recovery type suit on, it won’t work with the anatomy and will just stress the dog out/overheat them.

eta get this please ?
https://www.wish.com/product/5aeb226fe6e78a063acdf0ef?from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5aeb226fe6e78a063acdf0ef&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=5.00&campaign_id=8163884845&guest=true&exclude_install=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptmtpOGu7AIVmOR3Ch0ayAO2EAQYBSABEgJiQvD_BwE&hide_login_modal=true&share=mobilewebDAD9E082-38A9-4D1D-B425-FE8D0E8BB73B.jpeg

Last edited:

tda

Visit site
Our bitch wore a recovery suit (I called it her leotard ?) worked ok but as mentioned above the anatomy would not work with the boy bits for toileting ??
I don't think our male dog wore a collar of shame, I seem to remember it healed very quickly

wren123

Visit site
When our lab had a little op she had a softish material cone from the vet, it stopped her touching her stitches but didn't bother her and would fit into anywhere as it was very flexible.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The problem with the suits is that they can bite and lick through the fabric, leaving sopping wet fabric next to the wound, and yes you have to roll it up in good time for every pee! ?

I like the EZ Soft blue fabric soft collars, they won't stop a really determined dog but are enough of a deterrent for most, and they are flexible enough to to be ok in a crate with supervision.

meleeka

Visit site

dogatemysalad

Visit site
You can buy donut collars easily. They are inflatable and much easier for the dog. I just wouldn’t use a cone after it caused my bitch a great deal of stress.

Frifer Adjustable Inflatable Recovery Collar for Dogs and Cats, M (Neck Cirfumference: 22 - 28cm / 8.7 - 11in) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HCHJKDT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KZcHFbQ139H3P

These collars are great. I threw mine out when tidying, so when my dog came back from the vets wearing a horrible cone, I thought it would only be for a couple of days and buying a replacement online, would take too long.
Poor dog ended up wearing it for 16 days. It was miserable and 18 months later, he still goes up steps backwards.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have used an inflatable donut, dog wasn't bothered by it although she had managed to destroy one cone in the vet's carpark when I collected her and the replacement one in less than 24 hours at home. We were given (sold) a recovery vest when one of the Rotters had an op on her elbow. It didn't cover the wound! She ended up wearing a very fetching pink v-necked t-shirt, backwards,with the sleeves rolled up.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I have never had or been given(sold!) a collar for any dog or cat. Even having a cat spayed they never suggested a cone. I have never had any problem at all. And 10-14 days seems excessive. I do have some cone alternatives, somewhere safe in the house which I now cannot find! One is inflatable and one is similar to the link and doesn't restrict eating or drinking. I have no idea how they feel about wearing them, they are there for emergencies. I don't know where I got either.
https://www.amazon.com/Recovery-Col...uter+Cone+Alternatives&qid=1602504869&sr=8-25
I have heard of people using a towel rolled up and secured with a collar.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I put my inflatable donut/cone of shame alternative on Beata, and took a picture. It saves my legs from blue marks caused by the edges of a cone bumping into them, but it only works if the dog isn't too interested in their wound. Sometimes I've used a cone the first 2, 3 days, and then switched to the inflatable alternative.

50460572887_908a445ca2_z.jpg

I have a whole stack of cones in various sizes at home, from small cat sized ones, up to around 25 or 30 cm something. Never had a cat or bitch come home from an operation without veterinary instructions about needing to use a cone, or similar alternative, until the stitches have been removed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think this is the problem though, the front man/woman changes but the ones actually pulling the strings dont.
I put my inflatable donut/cone of shame alternative on Beata, and took a picture. It saves my legs from blue marks caused by the edges of a cone bumping into them, but it only works if the dog isn't too interested in their wound. Sometimes I've used a cone the first 2, 3 days, and then switched to the inflatable alternative.

50460572887_908a445ca2_z.jpg

I have a whole stack of cones in various sizes at home, from small cat sized ones, up to around 25 or 30 cm something. Never had a cat or bitch come home from an operation without veterinary instructions about needing to use a cone, or similar alternative, until the stitches have been removed.

The look on that face is wonderful

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'd definitely not recommend a biggish dog in a crate with a normal plastic cone on.

We tried it with the Grots when they were snipped. It did not go down well. One sat inside, would not budge, and the cone was catching on the crate sides and top. It's one of the biggest crates on the market.

planete

Visit site
It really depends on the dog. Some dogs will not leave the stitches alone and you really do not want the wound to be opened up and need to be stitched again. i have tried various collars and a body suit with my lurchers but now go straight for an extra long hard cone which I have permanently tied at the wider end to be narrower than normal if that makes any sense. Their long backs and noses enable them to circumvent any softish collar or cone of normal proportions. I can now sleep at night without worrying about the little dears finding a way to have a nibble. Tough I know but it is only for a few days and they have all coped.

reddie

Visit site
We used a medi vest when our rescue pug was neutered. It worked well but we had to regularly roll it back so he could go to the toilet

{97702}

Visit site
It really depends on the dog. Some dogs will not leave the stitches alone and you really do not want the wound to be opened up and need to be stitched again. i have tried various collars and a body suit with my lurchers but now go straight for an extra long hard cone which I have permanently tied at the wider end to be narrower than normal if that makes any sense. Their long backs and noses enable them to circumvent any softish collar or cone of normal proportions. I can now sleep at night without worrying about the little dears finding a way to have a nibble. Tough I know but it is only for a few days and they have all coped.

Ditto this - pointy dogs are a nightmare with stitches if they want to bother them, they are so flexible and agile that only a hard cone will do as Planete rightly says! Having said that, I’ve only had one dog castrated when he was with me and he didn’t bother with the stitches at all (he was more miserable about the 18 teeth out at the same time)

I’ve had one bitch spayed and she also didn’t bother with the stitches at all, she was a particular manic lurcher too