Confidence has done a runner ??

Horseback Rider

Visit site
Took my boy in the school tonight to pop over a few cross poles nothing big or scary. Anyway after warming up trotted him up to the first one and he stopped - it was my fault I backed off with my leg and he never normally stops. Anyway had a canter round then went over it twice but failed to go with him and was just kind of hanging on - looked like a right idiot luckily horse didn't do anything was probably just cursing to himself at my C**p riding.

Then I called it a day as actually felt quite nervous about doing any more... which is odd I had put up a course to go round.

Anyway now feel like a right numpty wuss ;-(

rosie-ellie

Visit site
Dont worry we all have off days, tomorrows another day, get back on and do it all again and it'll probably be ok!!! have someone with you so give you a bit of confidence and also to pick up any poles.....

Last edited:

aintgotnohay

Visit site
ive had moments like that where i have just froze.just got back into riding and have 2 ploddy aged ponies.achieved something big today went on long ride with my friend.sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and work through your fear just by doing it.then you realise what a numpty you were.going on road on my own weds hopefully.try again and dont make an issue of it.

Digger123

Visit site
I so know where you are coming from. Mine headed for the hills after we were hit by a car a couple of months ago.Slowly, with a lot of encouragement, I have started riding him again. We haven't been brave enough to go out on the road yet but we stand next to the road with a fence between us and watch the cars fly past at speed.We no longer flinch at that so we might try going on the road on a quiet morning.I have days when all I can do is blob round the school at a walk.
Don't worry tomorrow is another day and things will be better:)

Topstripe

Visit site
We all have days like that - I call my days like that "potato days" cos I feel like I am riding like a useless potato!!!
I have a 17.1hh full ID and he rides like a 15.2hh and forget am on a big horse, but when I am on a "potato day" i look at the ground and shake! LOL
You will probably be right as rain tomorrow!
x

skewby

Visit site
Do you have any worries or stress elsewhere in your life at the moment? Or anything you have not dealt with? My jumping confidence vanished a few years ago, I wouldn't leave it and kept at it but I would end up a crying silly mess. When life sorted itself out, so did the confidence and jumps became actual size again in my head. Take care of yourself and maybe do something else for a few days, or get a lesson with a good instructor, I often find someone knowledgeable on the ground telling me to jump it gets rid of any inner doubt as to my and my lad's abilities xxx