Confidence! How long did it take you?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
So how long did it take for you to really feel confident riding your horse?

I know people will have different perceptions of what confidence is to them, but to me it’s that feeling you can do anything together (ok within reason, but you know what I mean).

With Ella I would say it took me maybe 18 months, and with Otto I don’t think I ever got there before selling him.

I wonder how long it will take me with Bodey????

Just wondering!!

hollyzippo

Visit site
It depends how you click with that individual- same as people!
If you click can be a month or so! I clicked with Jools and felt as confident doing some things (mainly SJ) as I did after 8 years with Zippo! I guess if you dont have any bad experiences to set you back confidence comes quicker!

TiaPony

Visit site
Had her 2 and a 1/2 months. Hacking, we're totally there. Everything else? I think we have a long road ahead of us! It's mainly me, not her so i know if i can put enough faith and trust in her, we'll get through.
x

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
With Storm it took a few months. With Missy I'm confident enough to do anything with her on the flat but over fences....... Tht may take a while
tongue.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I dont think it took me long at all, about a month maybe

We still gott overcome some greeness but that doesn't mean we wont give it a bash
tongue.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Not at all! As I said my Ella I think it took me about 18 months, but boy when I got the confidence we had a whale of a time!

I can’t wait to get this (well I hope I do) with my new boy!

pottamus

Visit site
My boy unfortunately always keeps me on my toes! He is great most of the time and can be a complete plod if the mood takes him...but he is quite sharp, stubborn and prone to drama queen moments at times...so he can be a bit tricky. I have had him nearly four years now and he won't change but sometimes I get a few butterflies with him at times...particularly when we do our endurance rides or go somewhere new. But I have never been afraid to ride him through things and we are a team and get on with it together now
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
Took me quite a while with Chex, but I was only 12 when I got him so he was way too strong for me (and knew it!). Saying that, one day last year when I was hacking him he took off and I couldn't stop at all, and that really scared me (because the field gate was open I think) so that knocked my confidence again - and thats after 9 years of owning him! But generally I trust him with my life.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I ride so many different ones I sometimes dont have time to find it. Being hoiked onto a stange horse at a hunt meet means I sort of have to get on with it, think that is a confidence boost really. With Oshk I was always confident, until I came off and broke my nose, and then I became abit more wary of him, but thats behind me now
smile.gif

pagancluf

Visit site
RPH respect to you - I would die if some one just stuck me on a horse and sed - lets go hunting?!?!? (guts churn thinking about it) Dont you have any nerves, and how do you do this?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Yeah I have to agree with you there, I think I would be physically sick! My self preservation is definitely kicking in more as I get older though!

Yes Rosie, how do you do it?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I have had Oliver for nearly 6 months and been riding him for about 3 and a half months (back injury stopped me from riding him for several weeks) but I still don't feel that I have confidence in him like I did in my last horse. To be honest, it was starting to worry me but if I am not the only one then maybe I should stop panicking!

I can't wait until riding him becomes pure pleasure and I just go to the yard and hop on him and have fun instead of being nervous. I always go through the same stupid process at the moment. I get on and feel nervous for the first 10 minutes and feel like he is too strong/nappy/lacking in steering etc for me and then I get used to him, my confidence grows and I start to enjoy myself and Oliver works really well and does exactly what I ask of him and when I get off I love him!

lexiedhb

Visit site
My old lad took me 18 months to fully trust on board, but then he did try and kill me for the 1st year of that with bucking, rearing and generally turning himself inside out and upside down till i got off, or he threw me off..........I'll get on ANYTHING on the flat, even if it is known to misbehave badly, but over fences, no chance!!!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk
Ive had my boy nearly two years now and I still poo my pants every time I get on him!! Not as bad I used to be though, as I would feel sick just at the thought of riding him. But I do enjoy him now, but am still very weary of him!
Capondville, I totally understand where your coming from, once youve had that bond and confidence with one horse, its hard to get it with another.

121272MDV

Visit site
took me a year to get my confidence up to the level it is now and with the thought of showing and jumping in the summer id say i did pretty well. esspesically as i was a nervous reck after being dumped everytime i got on roo haha XD silly mare taesting her mummy

shawny

Rupert2006

Visit site
I am still waiting to find mine! I have had my ned for 9 months and my stomach flutters every time. I just don't know him well enough to trust him yet. On the ground we are perfect together.

harrihjc

Visit site
I havent got that confidence with Flash yet. I still like someone to be on the yard when I ride rather than being on my own. I have only had him 2 months, and before I bought him I hadn't been riding for around 3 years after a nasty fall and completely losing my confidence. I definitely think more about my own safety as I get older

fairhill

Visit site
Slightly different for me - I've always been very confident on Meg, but it has taken a good 18 months for her to gain confidence and trust in me. It's only the last 6 months where she's been happy, and nap-free hacking out on her own.

I've had 100% confidence in Chloe since going to try her out (we went for a gallop round a field), and she has helped me overcome some nasty falls from other horses, hacking horrors, galloping in groups and a fear of competitions. I think I would have given up riding a few years ago if I didn't have her to ride.

0ldmare

Visit site
I think it can take a long time and depends on so many factors eg has the horse ever had its trust destroyed or have you had yours badly dented. With my horse I would say it was about a year before we really felt totally comfortable with each other. Now if I say 'come on it will be alright' she will say OK, but it was ages before we really got to that stage

vickers22

Visit site
nearly straight away!After i realised he would never do anything really bad-and i can control him!now i will do anything with him and not be scared...good feeling!

Foxford

Visit site
About a month after I started riding Micks. And that was after a bad fall the month before from another horse. The fall probably made me appreciate Micks more though! He is not a plod, but we just get on so well I feel really safe on him!

clairencappelli

Visit site
I would say within 3 month i did my first show and within 6 months i did whatever i wanted really.

We have had up and downs but thats life i suoppose!.

Jo you know the jean roberts hunt ride??? I took a mental little cob on that and id never ridden that before and it went loopy. I wondered why the others who came said i was mad to take ed then i found out why but once i got used to him i loved it hehe.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Oh yes, I haven’t been on it as I heard a few people say it’s quite mental and just didn’t want to risk my neck on Otto.
Maybe I will do it next year depending!
I think you are right some horses you just click with no matter how they behave. Ella could chuck herself about but I just knew her so well it didn’t bother me, where Otto could do the same and I would be pooing my pants. Silly really.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yeah, it depends on each horse. I find some make me feel confident as soon as I get on (like if you get on a cob then just the sturdiness of them helps!). Im usually a bit nervous for the first say week on a new horse just because you dont know the horse or what it may do in different situations. But I have one horse who Ive had for 3 years and I am always slightly edgy getting on him simply because he used to be cold backed and has exploded a few times! And has also bolted through fences twice with me so obviously Im a bit paranoid! I do trust him 100% but its just when I feel him rising under me and his panic setting in.... hate that feeling.