Confidence knock over XC- help!

xCiaraGx

Visit site
On the bank holiday I took one of my horses to Northallerton EC for the XC open day. I was sticking to the smaller jumps (but found balls to give 3 90s and 1 100 a go) but as he’s unfit didn’t want to push it.

Prior to falling off I was having a lack of confidence in him due to his fitness and I haven’t ridden him in 8 months (I only have him in the summer months) and I was fighting him into each jump- partly because he was bonkers/fresh and was easily pulling again the simple snaffle I was using but also because when he’s out of practice he does put in dirty stops unless you get after him (he does this by charging at the jump and grabbing the bit downward and then stopping- once his confidence and fitness is back up it stops)
He landed over a jump and took off with me but then slipped and fell on me. We’re both okay and this isn’t a question on loosing my confidence overall- rather my trust in him as he took off out of pure freshness/naughtiness.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I shouldn’t have taken him till he was more mentally and physically fit...
But any tips on getting my trust back with him without shoving strong bits in? It’s just the idea of XC that’s putting me off- which isn’t good as he primarily events!

Thanks

be positive

Visit site
Your post is rather unclear on how fit he is, has he had 8 months off completely and just coming back into work or was just you hadn't ridden for 8 months, either way going xc with probably both of you less fit than ideal was not really a good idea but what is done is done so my view would be to get you both fitter over the next month or so and when he is genuinely fit enough to start jumping do loads of gridwork in a contained area then quietly build up to going to do a quiet xc session.
Some steady canter work in fields will help build him up as well as give you the confidence to work at varying speeds on grass without jumps in the way, often a horse that is tiring will be more strong and heavy in the hand than a fit one so I would not be rushing to change bits unless he does remain rude once the correct work has been put in, it sounds to me as if he needs to be better prepared in general so he has more confidence and doesn't go through the stage of stopping because he lacks fitness/ confidence .

Templebar

Visit site
Agree with the above and also try to get some help from an instructor as they should be able to help you see why he is doing this and if it comes to changing bit, which it may well do and i would not be averse to it if for the right reasons. They will be able to tell you what sort of bit will be most beneficial to help with your problems.

xCiaraGx

Visit site
Your post is rather unclear on how fit he is, has he had 8 months off completely and just coming back into work or was just you hadn't ridden for 8 months, either way going xc with probably both of you less fit than ideal was not really a good idea but what is done is done so my view would be to get you both fitter over the next month or so and when he is genuinely fit enough to start jumping do loads of gridwork in a contained area then quietly build up to going to do a quiet xc session.
Some steady canter work in fields will help build him up as well as give you the confidence to work at varying speeds on grass without jumps in the way, often a horse that is tiring will be more strong and heavy in the hand than a fit one so I would not be rushing to change bits unless he does remain rude once the correct work has been put in, it sounds to me as if he needs to be better prepared in general so he has more confidence and doesn't go through the stage of stopping because he lacks fitness/ confidence .
It’s me that hasn’t ridden him in that time. He has been competing regularly with his loaner over winter in dressage but when I say he’s not fit he is but not yet for eventing- hence why we took him schooling to start his fitness building. He’s never been like this before, he was bonkers- bucking and bolting around all day. He’s up to date with everything and my only assumption is he was fresh but it’s totally tarnished my trust in him. We usually event upto 100 in a snaffle and on monday in the very same snaffle I could hardly keep him in any type of canter or calm pace.

Templebar

Visit site
It’s me that hasn’t ridden him in that time. He has been competing regularly with his loaner over winter in dressage but when I say he’s not fit he is but not yet for eventing- hence why we took him schooling to start his fitness building. He’s never been like this before, he was bonkers- bucking and bolting around all day. He’s up to date with everything and my only assumption is he was fresh but it’s totally tarnished my trust in him. We usually event upto 100 in a snaffle and on monday in the very same snaffle I could hardly keep him in any type of canter or calm pace.

Sometimes they learn to ignore the aids of a bit, im in the process of changing mine for jumping but the plan is a short change into something to say oi listen and then back into her regular bit.

If it is as bad as you say i would also get him checked out that nothing is hurting. Again i can't emphasis enough that eyes on the ground will be able to help you a lot more than us on here.