Conformation critique..bearing in mind all the veterinary issues...

BeckyD

Visit site
I know you all hate doing this, but I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions of Ronnie, especially as we've had injury after injury after injury. I'll post the best pictures I have, though I have none of him stood perfectly square. Thank you in anticipation.

ETS - gosh they're huge. Sorry folks
frown.gif

P1020277new.jpg

P1020282.jpg

P1010952.jpg

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think he is simply lovely. I'm not being polite and have to say hes is one of my most favorite HHO horses.

Silverspring

Visit site
Is this the monster horse that like to jump on people's head cos he never gets out the stable
smile.gif
I remember chatting about way to control him on the lunge.

Are these pics of him while he's on box rest? He's in very good condition if so!

The only thing that I can see as a noticable (minor) fault would be his pasterns and hooves and quite upright esp in the front. He well proprotioned through the body and neck and looks to have a good set of hocks on him.

He'd do well in a working hunter class if you can get him all fixed
smile.gif

Halfstep

Visit site
Well, you asked for a critique!

Upright pasterns, long cannons, and slightly over at the knee in front.

Straight through the hock and weak in the loin and gaskin.

neck set on rather low and thick and out of a fairly upright shoulder.

But - beautiful head and expression!

Bossanova

Visit site
He's a very attractive horse
smile.gif

His weaker points would be his slightly upright hindleg, his fairly long pasterns and he could have more angle to his shoulder. But generally he is quite a nice shape

BeckyD

Visit site
Lots! I think we now are on injury/problems numbered 11-14 (in the space of 15 months). Ranging from cutting his troat open with his own foot (don't ask), banged near fore tendon (not conformational, admittedly), through to concussions in forelegs (from being a hooligan in the field) causing suspensory-type swelling (scanned all ok), sacroiliac strain following somersaults in the field, to proximal suspensory desmitis, to coffin joint problems. And he's only just 6 this year.

BeckyD

Visit site
Yes this is Ronster the Monster! Living up to his billing as usual. These pics were from last year, but having said that he's done really well on box rest and is in fab condition, considering!

Thank you for the critique
smile.gif

BeckyD

Visit site
Thank you! The straight hind leg - where am I looking at, exactly? I've been told by several people that he has an upright hind leg, but I don't know what a "good" hind leg is to compare it to. Am I looking for angle through the hock?

Now you say it I can see about the shoulder - which is odd as I've always thought his front end was his only saving grace. That's interesting..<scuttles off to examine old pics to see if he's changed shape there. Hmmm no, perhaps I was just wrong before
grin.gif

Thank you! I wish I had a better eye for this sort of thing.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^

what she said

BeckyD

Visit site
Oh no poor Thumper - how did he do that? Ronnie was on box rest for 2 weeks, with another scan at the end which showed the fibres starting to heal and the fluid reducing (there were no tears 0 only a little more fluid than normal between the fibres). He then had gradual increase in t/o over a period of about a month, then started walking work for 3 weeks. Had just commenced trot when he did the sacroiliac so I can't tell you any further than that. He's been left with a barely-there bump on that tendon.

I hope Thumper heals quickly. xx

BeckyD

Visit site
Pure TB
grin.gif
But he's pretty solid for a pure TB really. Most people assume he's a WB. I even had a full-on argument at a show last summer
blush.gif
with a woman who was telling me he isn't a TB. Erm, he is, and I have the racing videos to prove it!

Quadro

Visit site
he is amazingly goregous, really is my type but i would say i think he is a bit weak through the back but is really really lovely though
smile.gif

pinktiger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^

and to add, back at the knee, the neck looks short, looks quite upright and overloaded at the shoulder, sweet head! Hock butt alignment off slightly!! Im sorry to hear about your problems with him, sounds like his brain is causing more physical problems than conformation!!

BeckyD

Visit site
Thank you! Now it all makes sense. And yes - we do now have a hind suspensory problem. Thanks so much, I'm going to bookmark that picture to learn from. I've wasted so much time staring at Ronnie's back legs trying to figure what's straight about them! Doh.

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This pic is fairly good- http://www.gaitedhorses.net/ConformationLesson/RearEnds/DrawL3.gif
In the most basic terms his cannon bone comes out a bit straight from his hock joint. It seems to be linked to more hock problems such as spavins and hind suspensory issues

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to get in an arguement but it's really difficult to comment on a horse's hocks without perfect conformation pictures which these aren't. I've looked at pics of my horse before and she can stand like a right ass and look sickle hocked with it but really her hocks are almost perfect (vets words not mine
wink.gif
)

BeckyD

Visit site
Thank you for that. It's really helpful to hear you say that. I've had concerns about his neck being set on low, but wasn't sure. If his cannons were any shorter I'd really struggle with brushing boots - he's in pony size as it is (and no, they don't fit round the width, but do the length!).

I'm still amazed about his shoulder, I've always thought he had a fab shoulder but I'm wrong. Boo! I can see it now people are saying it.

Thank you! A lot of what you're saying is linked to the things that have gone wrong (PSD, SI et).

Taffster

Visit site
He looks alittle roach abcked to me but then that could be lack of topline and picture combination, i'm rubbish with legs and even with that picture still cant figure out what is perfect???

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thump's struck into himself - very lucky as the skin was not broken through to the tendon. But he was very sore.

He is actually being allowed out for a few quiet hours - which helps his brain.

BeckyD

Visit site
Thank you - he really is a handsome boy (though he wasn't when I bought him - definitely the ugly duckling!).

Gratuitous handsome Ronnie pic:
P1010995.jpg