Confused about myler bits...

Honkey : )

Visit site
With myler bits, there are level 1, 2, 3 and four. I do not understand them at all! My horse went well in my trainers hanging cheek that was fairly flexible, but i am getting more confused...

And are all the snaffles BD legal?

Any help, much appreciated :)!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Best is to go to the source for your information: http://mylerbitsusa.com/bit_select.shtml

I find lots of people have tried one or two of their options, quite often not for the purpose they're intended for, and make their mind up. There are literally scores of options so it's like saying a NS/Korsteel/KK/whatever brand of bits is one way or another - it's not the brand, it's the bit itself. They do have a good advice service and the few times I know people have used it, they've often give quite specific advice about what bit(s) to use for what situation.

Very few of their models are BD legal - I think only the 02 and 32 mouthpieces are - but the cheeks would all be legal so long and they don't have the hooks.

Last edited:

kerilli

Visit site
as above. if your trainer's one was bendy, with no port in the centre of the mouthpiece, it was probably an 02 mouthpiece, which is dressage legal. nice bit.
there are so many different permutations, it can be a bit bewildering, but some of their bits are excellent for very specific problems.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I used to sell Myler bits ;)

Dressage legals =
Loose ring (MB28) french link (MB10) and comfort snaffle (MB02)
Eggbutt without hooks (MB29) french link, comfort snaffle and mullen barrel (MB32)
Full cheek without hooks (can't remember the code, sorry) french link, comfort snaffle and mullen barrel.
Hanging cheek (MB42) french link, comfort snaffle and mullen barrel.

The levels are designed to give very obvious and clear signals to a young or untrained horse, as the horse progresses with its training you would go up the levels and the bits would become ported to take the pressure off the tongue.

I personally didn't find the levels worked with the majority of people / horses I worked with. A horse with a fat tongue is more than likely not going to go well in a level 1 bit as it probably wont like the pressure on its tongue.

*Disclaimer* the last paragraph is my personal opinion

Spins

Visit site
i went to a clinic and had my (then) nappy horse fitted with a myler by their expert.. i can't speak more highly of them! All you need to know is on that link posted by TarrSteps. They really are fantastic and we use them on all of our horses now its just a pity they aren't more recognised in competition!