Confused about this video..

Tern

Visit site
I haven't dealt with Kissing Spines myself so could anyone explain why this person is still riding the horse having being diagnosed with Kissing Spines? I would have thought you wouldn't ride it or does riding sometimes help it? (completely clueless here)

[video=youtube;vXcIzKMiO7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcIzKMiO7o[/video]

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
One would presume the owner edited the title post facto to explain the behaviour after the diagnosis was received?

joulsey

Visit site
As above, I would certainly hope that's the case anyway

If so its actually a good idea as it can show others what horses with KS can be like if they have never seen it before or had any experience and wondering why their horse is behaving the way it is.

be positive

Visit site
I have often wondered if the riding style contributes to some horses developing KS.

Something that has occurred to me also, that video shows an interesting "schooling" session whether it was post or pre diagnosis seems irrelevant the horse seemed to have no idea of what it was supposed to be doing most of the time.

glamourpuss

Visit site
If this is a video that has been titled to explain the horse's behaviour then I do admire the rider's perseverance & stickability. However I do hope that if they decide to rehab this horse they find a good instructor & saddler.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
However I do hope that if they decide to rehab this horse they find a good instructor & saddler.

I didn't watch the whole video but what can you see that is wrong with the saddle?
From the distance (plus as I said i didn't see all of the video) did I miss something?

Genuine question as I didn't notice anything obviously up with the saddle.

But I'm no exert and would like to learn!

rara007

Visit site
I think it's useful to see :) Amazing how similar a lot of the KS horses react. It's quite possible they took this for the vet to see before it went for nerve blocks.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think it's useful to see :) Amazing how similar a lot of the KS horses react. It's quite possible they took this for the vet to see before it went for nerve blocks.

But you saw it all in the first 30 seconds. If the horse isn't well there was no need to keep persevering was there.

suffolkmare

Visit site
Agree with FfionWinnie, post-diagnosis would be setting yourself up for hatemail; pre-diagnosis is useful to show a clip to demonstrate how KS presents, but totally unnecessary to persist with an unhappy horse that wants to try but is finding it painful/difficult. Also potentially dangerous if it decides enough is enough and puts in a bigger buck.

_GG_

Visit site
Agree with FfionWinnie, post-diagnosis would be setting yourself up for hatemail; pre-diagnosis is useful to show a clip to demonstrate how KS presents, but totally unnecessary to persist with an unhappy horse that wants to try but is finding it painful/difficult. Also potentially dangerous if it decides enough is enough and puts in a bigger buck.

This. I remember when Fly first had SI troubles...the vet wanted to see her lunged so as soon as she showed the issue, i called her back to walk and said to the vet, "will that do?" As I hate to make horses work when it is hurting them but I do hope this was done for a vet.

I have to say though, at least she's just doing too much...I've seen it many times where horses suffering real pain get whip marks and yanked mouths for their displays of pain so as much as this isn't nice to watch, it's nothing compared to some displays of non horesmanship that can be seen.

minesadouble

Visit site
It looked as if the behaviour happened at the same area of the field around the yellow jump wings lying on ground???

I have no experience of kissing spines and agree that the horse looks uncomfortable throughout. However the worst of the behaviour happens near the gate every single time, without fail. I would guess that even were the physical problem sorted the horse would remain nappy.

Annagain

Visit site
Very uncomfortable viewing, poor horse. Really hope as others said it was pre-diagnosis and her problems have now been addressed.