Confused isn't even the word

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Ok well Fleur is currently stumping us good and proper.

Short history is shes a 6yo KWPN mare imported as a 4yo and slowly brought on. Over winter things clicked in her brain and she started jumping consistent double clears in her limited outings easily qualifying BN regionals and local novice champ and by May I had her jumping confidentially around her first few newcomers at which point things went belly up.

At Bicton in May she jumped double clear the first class and then it went wrong from there, and I withdrew after our 3rd class (of 6 over 3 days) realising she was showing discomfort in her back. Got her checked out and there was some tension in withers which we had sorted and had saddle adjusted accordingly afterwards and then back done again and said now fine. We have also had teeth done at roughly same point.

Anyway brought her back in to work as she had a week off and started with the basics jumping wise and everything felt great at home, took her to Bicton a few weeks later and although warming up great each time never feeling in discomfort she jumped a total of 3 jumps in the ring over 3 classes at which point I packed up and came home early. She wasn't stopping at the fences themselves she was napping to the extent she would not go forward in a straight line towards the fences. That was the beginning of July.

Since then I have concentrated on expanding her routine to make sure it wasn't boredom. have jumped a maximum of once a week which was in a group lesson and over small heights concentrating on the rhythm and her shape over the fences and she has been great.

Anyway took her to local show on sunday and entered the 2ft9 as the dressage was running 1.5 hours late so thought we could 'fill' the time. It was a nice correctly built course and basically looked a small british novice so in her 'easy' range. Came round jumped 1 and 2 beautifully and then came round corner past entrance and she ground to halt. I have to thank the judge enormously (which i did) as she allowed me to continue even though Fleur was stopping at almost every fence, well napping away from them anyway (had warmed up beautifully!). I got her round the 9 fence course with probably 8-12 'stops' in total. Didn't lose my cool she did get a couple of whacks on the arse but only one at a time and I just used patience and determination oh and a bit of growling to get her round which included her jumping a couple from a standstill at angles
crazy.gif

BUT the mad thing is you look at the photos and she is clearly enjoying herself, you never see a photo of her over a fence with her looking tense or 'cross' ears are always pricked. The photograher took one at almost every fence on sunday and these all showed her seemingly enjoying herself.

We then went on to do the dressage and although a bit green in places (only done 5 tests before) went nicely and came 3rd in the second novice.

So yes me and her owner and our yard owner (who is very experienced with 'problem horses') are all very puzzled. We have had as said her back, saddle, teeth checked and there is nothing obvious there. There is nothing else that is signifying discomfort or pain and this is only happening in showjumping rings!

we 'think' she is playing with us and is enjoying napping and seeing it as a game but i really don't know and am getting a bit frustrated with it to be honest as we all know she is capable and she seems to honestly enjoy it but we can't get everything to click back into place.

The plan now for the rest of the summer is to do more dressage hopefully go XC schooling a couple times and maybe the odd small RC showjumping class with the hope of building her back up from the ground up confidence wise.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions anything??

Going to dig out Sara Coppin's details as well as I think it would be interesting to see what she can 'find out' about her as we seem to be drastically missing something

confused.gif
confused.gif

Katie

Parkranger

Visit site
that sounds really weird - especially if she's warming up ok.

My only thoughts would be to get her legs checked.....maybe she gets into the ring, sees all the jumps and thinks '[****], my legs are gonna hurt'!

Have you had an actual physio look at her as opposed to a vet?

tigers_eye

Visit site
You've given her every chance. She's a madam, and I'd be very tempted to either sell her (which could be difficult), or send her to someone who gets them through this bit*. That costs money though and I think she might do it again. Very frustrating, and there are so many horses out there who don't mess you about at every turn......

*Richard Maxwell wasn't as expensive as I thought when I rang him for a quote, and he can jump, it might be worth ringing him and asking what he would do with a horse like her.

I'll give you 1st refusal on W if that makes you happier! If I sell him of course. Are you living the life of leisure atm?

dieseldog

Visit site
How frustrating. Well you've done all the physical stuff so it must be in her head, does she get very hormonal? My sisters mare used to nap when it either was in season or thought it should be.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Could be hormonal? Mine's gone from a nappy lil witch to a normal horse since feeding her the feel good 30 Hormonal Mare. With us its probably a mixture of things, but think the supplement really helped.

Rambo

Visit site
Exactly the same issues as I am experiencing with Bo at the moment. Absolute angel in the warm-up, or jumping at home, or anything you care to mention really.......until you get him in the ring and he becomes a nappy little git....at least some of the time
shocked.gif

Still trying to work out if it's a 'real' problem or just him trying it on, but can't find any obvious pain or discomfort, so tending to think he's trying it on. Tried the 'tough' approach, tried the 'softly softly' approach, but neither have had a long-term positive effect yet, so running out of ideas. He's an 8yo KWPN btw, and is playing up at anything from 90cm to 1.20m....

Doesn't really help you or answer your question, but at least you know you're not alone
tongue.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Well as you know not my choice to sell and I don't think sarah will at the moment to be honest! Everything else she is being really good at the moment, no rearing *touches wood* shes been hacking out (and taking the lead!) etc.

She is a madam thats without doubt but she has stumped me at the moment!

Richard Maxwell and the like was another option being considered.

And I would love W but i have no money ha ha ha, I have my big lad draining me of vet fees at the moment, he is the one leading the life of leisure!

I'm about to go full time though in couple of weeks after I go home for a holiday so no lady of leisureness for me for much longer.

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
hormones well she has lots of those but her behaviour does not seem to tie into her seasons! She was fully in season at one point early in the year when we went out competing but she walked within feet of a stallion without turning an ear and jumped beautifully.

She has 'magic' at the moment for her hormones mainly for the magnesium in it which she seems to react well to. She has previously been on the feel good 30 but that was at the time of the 1st Bicton when things went wrong so although helping It wasn't enough in itself.

Gah horses who would have them.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Just a thought but could it be a sudden confidence thing with her??

It may be because she is leaving the other horses and even though she enjoys her jumping she thinks if she plays up the sooner she can get back to them??

If i was you i would take her out to a few shows and just take her in the clear round. That way she cant leave the ring if she gets any refusals and will only be allowed to leave once she has finished the course.

Hopefully after a few shows jumping the clear rounds she should get the message that if she does as she is told she gets to leave the ring quicker and her confidence might start to grow again once she realises this.

I had to do this with my old horse when i first started taking him to shows and after about 4 shows and about 8 clear rounds he got the hang of it and the first 'proper' show we done we ended up winning. It may take a bit longer than that but its worth a try.

vanessahook

Visit site
Dont give up! Thats the only advice i can offer. Im a dressage person and have a 7 yr old mare, trakehner x kwpn so cant offer any jumping suggestions only encouragement to not lose hope! I have had mine since she was a yearling and have contemplated selling and even giving her away. But in the back of my mind i have always told myself that whatever the problem is i will see it through and carry on. I know how annoying it is when they go well and then go backwards again for no apparent reason. It sounds awful but every time i think the problems are being caused by a pyhsical problem nothing has shown up, just the horse being a madam!! One day i ride and she floats round making me think she will be grand prix in the future the next we spend the whole session with her on her hind legs. Dont worry about it, thats young female horses for you!!!
I find deep breaths help and if all else fails put them away and go home and have a glass of wine, tomorrow is another day!!!