Conjuctivitus in one eye

smallgirl

Visit site
Hi

Can anyone help me?

My horse seems to have picked up an eye infection from a new horse in the field which has had it since arriving about 3 weeks ago.

Now my boy had a gungy eye last night, kind of yellow and a bit crusty.

At the moment it is getting bathed with warm water and tiacil put in the corner of the eye.

Is there anything else anyone can reccomend about treatment of it, he has not had anything like this before and i have not dealt with something like this before either.

Thanks very much

smallgirl

Visit site
Its not swollen, just seems to be running liquid that is crusting up and it is not sore to touch.

I'm not too worried about it as the horse that also has it is owned by a girl who works at the vets so i know if there was anything more serious she would pick it up and as conjuctivitus is contagious through touch (I think?). It it would seem the logical thing that has happened rather than a blocked tear duct.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
JingleGirl - be VERY cautious over this. Conjunctivits not properly treated can flare up for years and years and, as with any chronic condition, it can flip over into something much more nasty in an instant. My horse had to have an eye removed following chronic (and I mean YEARS) conjunctivitis that was left untreated (except for the occasional wipe with cold tea, so the previous owners said) and it flipped over OVERNIGHT into a hideous auto-immune problem. Me and the Bushy Equine Hospital battled for 6 months to save the eye but he had to have it removed 18 months ago. He's doing fine now, though I still worry constantly about the same problem occurring in the other eye that is STILL prone to awful bouts of conjunctivitis and dermatitis. I would urge you to GET THE VET and take NO CHANCES. Eyes are too precious! Good luck
frown.gif

smallgirl

Visit site
I have been using the tiacil and its much better, will go and get some antibiotic eye drops from Boots, and keep them on standby, thanks jrp204.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I used the cold tea and eye drops from Boots initially for my cob. Things seemed to improve for a bit and then her eyes got all gunky again. Bit the bullet and took her to the vet. Diagnosed with bacterial infection and given antibiotic eye cream. The bill came to £88 for the check up, lab fees and about 10 tubes of cream to give to her and my other 2 ponies. Thought that was pretty reasonable. Infection cleared up in a week and hasn't recurred.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
My big lad had it last year from the flies. I bathed in tepid boiled water brought from home and then I was advised by another owner whose horse had suffered with it to get some infected eye drops (Optrex) from Boots or any other chemist. I used as per bottle instructed and it cleared up in a few days. I also put a fly fringe on him too which helped with the flies.
This year he has worn full fly masks instead which have been much better and apart from occasionally runny eyes ( clear) there has been no heat or signs of infection.
Jinglegirl is your horse wearing any mask at all?
Just thinking it may help the eye to improve because it will keep away flies ( which do play a role in eye infections being spread because there was a horse in the same field as mine that was suffering with it initially and the flies spread the condition). It may also help your lad to feel more comfortable too and help stop a few drafts from the wind which as you know feel even worse when you have an irritation in your eye.
Hope it soon clears up
smile.gif

Cazx

JulieL

Visit site
Try Golden Eye Ointment. I use it on my girls and it works really well. Can be bought from any chemists. Not expensive either.

Good luck
smile.gif