conjunctivitis?

ClareMc

Visit site
Went out to see ponies last night and one had really weepy, gunged up eyes. There was quite a lot of white discharge.

I bought her in and bathed her eyes and checked her at about 10pm, again very gunky. Bathed her eyes again and this morning although no discharge one was completely closed she did manage to open it after about 10 minutes, it was quite hot round her eye and she was rubbing it against my arm.
I am guessing it is conjunctivitis.
I have called the vet who is coming this afternoon.

Has anyone got any experience of eye infections? Do they clear quite quickly, is it infectious like in people, should i keep her separate from others?

Any advice would be appreciated.

brightmount

Visit site
Conjunctivitis is common. It might have been something like a grass seed that started it off, or she may have a scratch. It should clear up quickly with the drops your vet will give you. Make sure you apply them for the prescribed length of time even if the eye looks better.

The flies that are about atm don't help, but my previous pony who was always getting eye infections got even more gunky with a fly mask on - your vet will probably advise you on that.

My pony had an eye injury with barbed wire before we got her which messed up her tear ducts which is why she gets eye infections a lot.

If the problem persists (which it probably won't) then the vet may flush the tear ducts from the nose which isn't pleasant and requires sedation. That's a worse case scenario though.

ClareMc

Visit site
Thanks.

I was thinking it might be cos of flies, a lot about at the weekend.

Was'nt sure about leaving her with a fly mask on this morning, decided not to in the end but have asked OH to check with vet if it is a good idea.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Tell me about it!

3 of mine all got it together and have been bathing morning and night with salt water. I didn't call the vet out (fairly obvious what it was), however did get some chloromycetin gel from the vet.

However this was the human form ointment, so you may be able to get it over the counter (Optrex infected eyes has the same ingredient, but obviously drops are not good with the neds!)

Now all in bonnets even when raining & muddy. The flies are carrying the bacteria that cause this infection, so I am keeping them covered to prevent re-infection.