Connemara and hock/suspensory problems

sparky1981

Visit site
Has anyone else that has a Connemara or Connie x had issues with their hocks and/ or suspensories/stifles? Is this quite a common problem for the breed? Are their any success stories of connies going on without theses issues until older age?thanks

First Frost

Visit site
No it's not a particular problem with connemara's. No more likely to happen with them than any other horse. I have owned and ridden many connie's over the last 50 years and only had this problem (it was hocks) once and that was a pony that had been started and jumped too early and was suffering the consequences.
At the moment I have an 18 year old, a 9 year old and a 7 year old who are all fine. All compete in eventing.

Michen

Visit site
Yep I have a 10 year old with arthiritis in a hock (actually both but only one seems to cause any lameness). No reason for it, he wasn't started or ever over worked too young. Successfully managed with steroids every 9/10 months ish. Does everything he did before but I don't lunge albiet never did, full 10 mins walk warm up and cool down, no tight circles etc. Monthly physio. He is long in the back and it's not unsurprising he has it.

I get him VERY regularly checked as last year he went from sound to unsound extremely quickly and the only warning was a travelling issue. So every 8-12 weeks he's flexed and trotted up by my vet.. I don't want to risk other bits going wrong because the hock lameness has returned and gone unoticed, which it easily can.

However, you wouldn't know there was anything amis, here he is at the wkend :)

[video]

Sprogladite01

Visit site
Yes, my connie had surgery last August for chronic bilateral PSD. We are still having issues now, he's currently lame on 3 out of 4 legs and in a field for the next 2 months after extensive investigation, rehab etc - if no improvement, he will likely be PTS. He is only 12 but prior to coming to me he was a kids pony - a lot of jumping, going everywhere at 100 miles an hour kind of kids pony. Vet said his problems were likely present when I bought him.

sparky1981

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I’m having to semi retire my rising 13 year old over height Connemara. Due to the above reasons. We’ve had hocks and coffin joints injected but neither helped and actually made him worse. I could go down the operating route for suspensories but I’m not sure it will help with the other issues. So he will just be a happy havk when sound. I’m sort of contemplating having another Connie but it worries me we may have this again

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't have Connie's I have Arab's one of mine injured a nearside suspensory and he also has hock arthritis, my other Arab did the same suspensory but no arthritis, my vet has said that the suspensory damage can cause hock pain and my horse with the arthritis is noticeably stiffer on the leg that had the suspensory damage, my other horse without the arthritis also looks stiff on that leg on occasions.

I am assuming your horse has psd rather than a tear or injury? I'm not sure if that would cause hock pain in the same way?

I know my situation is not breed related but it might be worth speaking to your vet about it as it may help you decide if the surgery is worth it.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Surely this must be the most common problem with all breeds of horses? The hock/suspensory issue with the related sacro/back problems. And it can start so young, before horse has even done much work. Must be a confo thing surely?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Surely this must be the most common problem with all breeds of horses? The hock/suspensory issue with the related sacro/back problems. And it can start so young, before horse has even done much work. Must be a confo thing surely?

The hocks is very common in all horses, I think because of the crazy design of the joint. The PSD issues seem to be prevalent where the hind legs are straight and there are a lot of straight legged ID crosses and coloured cobs around.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
What a coincidence this thread has popped up today as I get my connie nerve blocked for hind leg lameness!

She’s 14 and until now had no issues, although maybe if I competed at a higher level it would have shown up by now. We only potter about.

The people I know with more traditional types seem to have less trouble with lameness than those I know with the bigger sportier connies. But then maybe it’s a bit chicken and egg, they tend to be asking more of their horses.

HelenBack

Visit site
My Connie has got hock and stifle arthritis, diagnosed when he was 12. Hasn't got PSD to be the best of my knowledge but nothing would surprise me. He had gel injections and these have worked well for him but having some other issues now. I do know of lots of Connies that have broken fairly young sadly but then I know of lots of other horses that have broken young so maybe it's just bad luck rather than breed specific.

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I certainly wouldn't let my current connie's PSD put me off getting another connie - but I would definitely be more careful in terms of finding out when they were broken/started jumping/what sort of workload they had throughout their life (where possible of course). I think a lot of the connemaras, especially the ones brought over from Ireland, are broken in very young and are asked a lot of from a young age, which probably has more to do with it than anything else.

HelenBack

Visit site
Yes I see a lot of adverts for young Connies and they're going over massive jumps when they're only three. I'd be wary of this too. Mine was rising five when I had him and whilst I don't think I particularly rushed him I do now wish I'd done ore hacking and less schooling until he was a bit older. If I had a baby again now I probably wouldn't go in the school at all other than to walk around until it was about six but I don't know if that's just being over cautious now!

tristar

Visit site
Yes I see a lot of adverts for young Connies and they're going over massive jumps when they're only three. I'd be wary of this too. Mine was rising five when I had him and whilst I don't think I particularly rushed him I do now wish I'd done ore hacking and less schooling until he was a bit older. If I had a baby again now I probably wouldn't go in the school at all other than to walk around until it was about six but I don't know if that's just being over cautious now!

i walk mine round the school to start at around 4 to 5 years, you can do all movements in walk, then do what they are capable of and offer from 6 onwards

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The hocks is very common in all horses, I think because of the crazy design of the joint. The PSD issues seem to be prevalent where the hind legs are straight and there are a lot of straight legged ID crosses and coloured cobs around.
Yes, definitely look for one with a decent angle in their hocks. It doesn't guarantee having no hock issues, but it does at least stack the odds a bit.

sparky1981

Visit site
Thankyou everyone really helpful. Im
Sure it’s common in all breeds. I just wondered particularly in the over height ones whether it was more common or not. I love the breed and will more than likely end up with another but will take note of confirmation more

Horseysheepy

Visit site
It does seem that there are the modern sporty types can sometimes come with upright hocks. Yet I had a traditional old fashioned type with well set down hocks, with hock arthritis at 9.
The biggest worry in Connies is hoofwall seperation disease. Definitely something to bear in mind if purchasing this breed.

Last edited:

HeresHoping

Visit site
My Connie had quite straight hocks and I am afraid they both went when she was 16. She never really recovered - she was a broodmare until she was 12 so we had 4 years of fun. After that she was on bute pretty permanently but never really felt right most of the time. I lost her in June 2020 as she got an abscess and then laminitis.