Connemara - buying from Ireland??

NinjaPony

Visit site
To add an alternative experience- I’ve been lucky enough to ride two connemaras and between them both, they have restored my shattered confidence.

The first was a 13.2hh Connemara pc mare- the most genuine, safe and trustworthy pony I’ve ever ridden. I was pretty terrified after a nasty experience and she totally turned it around for me. I’m eternally grateful to her.

Second is my own Connemara, who I bought after outgrowing the mare. He’s been the best thing that’s ever happened to me... he’s never let me down or given me a reason to doubt the trust I put in him. He’s Irish bred, but bought in the U.K. he’s an excellent and safe jumper, even I have jumped him and I hate jumping. He has also schooled up to medium, and is safe enough to hack that I hack him alone, even though I’m a nervous hacker.

So what I’m saying, is that a Connie can be a confidence giver for a nervous child.... but they are as rare as hens teeth. I’ve been exceptionally lucky to have my boy, and I bought him from an experienced producer off a recommendation.

So if you really do want a Connie, go for something older (my boy was 10) which has a proper proven record of being safe. A good pony will step it up when her confidence improves, but will drop back down when asked too.

I also agree with the other posters that breed is less important than temperament. If the perfect pony happens to be a Connie, then great. If not, good ponies come in all shapes and sizes, the most important thing is that they have proven to be trustworthy.

Good luck hunting!

AlinFaolan

Visit site
I have an overhight Connie, had him from a yearling, he is rising 17 now. I got him from a well known breeder in England who had got him from Ireland to run on as a stallion, but at a yearling he was obviously going to be overhight. As a youngster he was very sharp, even now he can be sharp and not a novice ride or a confidence giver. Look closer to home and see the pony before you buy, there are safe sane connies out there, but you'll need to hunt them down.

irishdraft

Visit site
I don't think it would be wise to go to that particular dealer when I contacted her she was not prepared for a personal visit only deals online which would not be suitable for you. As others have said stick to the UK and go by people's recommendations for a child who is not hugely confident.

Quadro

Visit site
I have previously sold a nice connie, did some bs/be (never xc faulted) wh etc and went for your budget to an adult. Unfortunately she (adult rider) was not as confident and now the pony stops, so i am not sure it would be the best buy for a under confident child.
I am current looking for a 14.2 for a client, who has an 11 year old who is not the bravest. We are looking at older ponies, 15+ that have been there and done that

sollimum

Visit site
Lots of replies here but as a mum with a daughter that did lose her confidence and has had it restored by a saint of a pony, I would echo the others - don't worry about breed, age etc, just find the right, kind pony for your daughter to have fun with - you may need to travel a bit. I found ours via the pony club ponies page on facebook and although he was for sale locally, I spoke to his previous owners too who were the other end of the country and sent me reams of videos and photos of him, it was good to know his history before we bought him. Ours is a Heinz 57 but I would say that New Forest ponies are better priced than very similar Connemaras. Good luck!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Does it freak anyone else out how much they do at such a young age when bought from Ireland?

See 3yr olds regularly (just turned 3) who have already hunted for sale in Ireland. I've always fancied a Connemara one day and a friend had a few from Ireland with no issues but can't help but think it won't do them any good doing so much to young.

https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/jasper-purebred-irish-draught Thats nice, hes done a lot for a 5yr old.

Last edited:

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Does it freak anyone else out how much they do at such a young age when bought from Ireland?

See 3yr olds regularly (just turned 3) who have already hunted. I've always fancied a Connemara one day and a friend had a few from Ireland with no issues but can't help but think it won't do them any good doing so much to young.

https://www.irishsportequine.com/product/jasper-purebred-irish-draught Thats nice, hes done a lot for a 5yr old.

It is traditional to hunt horses, and ponies, here as a kind of "finish" to the breaking process - but they generally don't do a lot when they're out. The whole focus of most people in Ireland is jumping, so expect to have quite young horses who will hare around a course, but don't know how to turn or stop, or much of anything else. I used to judge ridden hunters a lot and would frequently get on something that the owners would proudly announce had only been broken a couple of weeks (I was once complemented as being the first judge who'd managed to stay on!).*

*Note that there are, of course, good trainers who properly produce horses here - we're not all savages - see horse in ad. And I don't actually think he's done all that much as a five year old, that's what I would expect any reasonably mature, well grown young horse to be doing, and he looks nicely produced.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It is traditional to hunt horses, and ponies, here as a kind of "finish" to the breaking process - but they generally don't do a lot when they're out. The whole focus of most people in Ireland is jumping, so expect to have quite young horses who will hare around a course, but don't know how to turn or stop, or much of anything else. I used to judge ridden hunters a lot and would frequently get on something that the owners would proudly announce had only been broken a couple of weeks (I was once complemented as being the first judge who'd managed to stay on!).*

*Note that there are, of course, good trainers who properly produce horses here - we're not all savages - see horse in ad. And I don't actually think he's done all that much as a five year old, that's what I would expect any reasonably mature, well grown young horse to be doing, and he looks nicely produced.

Thank you for clarifying that, he does look a lovely type doesn't he! I bet out of all of those that get broken young and go hunting, hardly any have issues when they're older. Connies tend to be quite hardy but what a friend was telling me