Connemara x ID anyone have one ?

Asha

Visit site
Ive accidently bought one ( as you do ). She wont arrive until October as shes just being weaned and waiting on passport.

I appreciate you cant generalise, but Im assuming they turn out like a small ID but with a bit of pony feistiness thrown in ? Any thoughts

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've met a couple. We thought The Beast might be one when we first got her, then she grew and got long so actually think she's just plain unregistered draught. Tend to be like compact draughts in my experience. Nice horses.

Abacus

Visit site
I have a lovely Connemara x Drum Horse which might not be so very different! She's 2 years old, chunky and pretty, currently 13.3 and very bum-high (was meant to make 15.2 but I doubt it). She's incredibly brave, unspooky and curious, she is always the first to canter to me in the field and does anything asked. I can lead her through the village from another horse or a quad bike. I've gently lain across her (not much actual weight on her, just getting her used to it) and she couldn't be more unbothered. She was another 'accidental' purchase who I saw and just loved. Hoping to hunt her if she gets big enough (praying for 14.2).

elliejhb

Visit site
I have one 😁
He's now 21, he seems to take more of the ID side with his build (15.3hh but takes 7ft rugs!) although he has a connemara face and fuzzy forelock.
Temperament wise, he's very calm & laid back but if he's doing something he enjoys like jumping then he gets a new lease of life and is forward but safe.
Very food orientated and can be cheeky! IMG_20190214_221206_234_compress15.jpg20190810_130256_compress1.jpg20190803_100001_compress49.jpg

Asha

Visit site
I have one 😁
He's now 21, he seems to take more of the ID side with his build (15.3hh but takes 7ft rugs!) although he has a connemara face and fuzzy forelock.
Temperament wise, he's very calm & laid back but if he's doing something he enjoys like jumping then he gets a new lease of life and is forward but safe.
Very food orientated and can be cheeky! View attachment 36610View attachment 36611View attachment 36612

Fab photos, and he is just lovely. Hope she turns out as nice . Thanks for sharing x

swilliam

Visit site
We had one supposedly bred like that, but unregistered. One of the best little horses we've ever had - quick, scopy and loving. My daughter took great pleasure one day beating two girls on tall warmbloods who had said in the collecting ring 'he's very sweet, but he's not a proper showjumper, surely?'

LegOn

Visit site
Yip I have one! A lovely 15.2 - buzzy and forward with a sharp brain but the most trainable personality and like a giant Labrador to handle! Very sweet and clever. Loves to jump & quick on the turns - just be careful, ID's can take a growth spurt up until about 7/8!! In Ireland we have alot of part-bred classes for both breeds so it gives a lot of scope to do loads with him - he looks like a connie in Part-bred Draught class & a Draught in a part-bred connie class!!! :D:D

Tagoat

Visit site
A sort of change of subject....... I once came across an ID x Arab. A beauty in all aspects. I should have bought her, but hesitated, damn it!! Have regretted it since. :(. Anyone had experience with that x?

Asha

Visit site
I’m loving these comments , I only bought her so my daughters filly would have a friend of the same age to grow up with / wean/ travel across with. Sounds like they are a good mix an I like the idea of laid back and scopey . Got to come up with a name for her now ,but think I will wait until she arrives and see what her full breeding is for inspiration . I know the dam is by Robin Hood , so did think Marion , but it doesn’t really seem to fit 😂😂😂

Asha

Visit site
Looking forward to seeing the pics, sounds lovely!

You must have been working hard on your OH, it doesn’t seem long ago that you were wondering if you could sneak a Shetland in to join your herd :p. Did you end up getting the Shetland?

No, we didn’t get the Shetland as owners only wanted to loan her . I don’t like loaning . However , it sort of led to this purchase ! I started looking for a Shetland to buy, a friend of mine breeds them so went over to see some , we got chatting as you do , and she convinced me to breed again . So off we went , 2 mares sent to stud and neither of them caught ! Cost a blinking fortune for nothing ... so we decided to look fo a couple of ID broodmares / young mares to breed from next year . Was put in touch with a lovely lady in Ireland and ended up buying 2 foals !!

Asha

Visit site
Oh, I’m sorry that your mares didn’t take this year, but how exciting about the newcomers. As you say, you can’t just have one foal, can you, they need company :). And all for the want of a Shetland!

Just look at these cuties that I walked away from !! 😍😍😍4200862F-B03C-4825-B8DD-960A480F4F0C.jpeg842D0187-9DC1-425A-9C24-ED0070F33661.jpeg

EventingMum

Visit site
I had one, she's 16hh and is a smart little horse, she got bored being a riding school horse so has moved on and is currently enjoying life hacking but I suspect could equally turn her hand to being an amazing PC/RC horse or low level eventer. If Mr EM hadn't convinced me to get our rescue horse I was tempted to take her out of the school and have her for myself as I think she has the best traits of both breeds.

Gazen

Visit site
I think I have one although his breeding is not recorded he has the hallmarks of both with a bit of TB thrown in. Lazy, excellent jumper, spooky, cheeky, loving, wrote the book on mischief. I wouldn't change him