Connemara's as a breed?

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
they make good all rounders, ive found a few ive ridden are quite stubborn, but others are really lovely. i dont know much about them, much prefer the cobs
grin.gif

mrogers

Visit site
I had one on loan for a while and i have really got abug for them now!!! Im not really a m&m person but i would have a connie like a shot. The one i had tried his heart out for me and gave 110% in everything. He was bold, had paces to die for and a very neat scopey jump

Mavis

Visit site
I had one when I was 12 and she was 4 - had her for about 4 years, she was a sweet, kind natured pony with a real talent for jumping. She needed a lot of work to keep her sane though.

I also used to compete the one pictured below in M&M WHP classes and showjumping - she was a total jumping machine who you could just point and she would do the rest (at high speed). I like Connemaras!
smile.gif

ginaleaf.jpg

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I used to ride one as a teenager for about 9 months at a stable I worked at, and absolutely loved him, one of the nicest horses I ever knew. I took him cross-country and hunting, and I'm a pretty nervous rider usually, he absolutely gave me confidence. He always behaved impeccably, the only downside was that I always got delegated to do gates out hunting because he'd stand still and behave himself when the others were leaping about.

He was found to have a bad back when he first arrived at the stables which had given him a habit of standing off his fences, but it's a measure of how willing he was that he had still carried on jumping even though it must have been quite painful. After we got his back sorted he was absolutely great, he was about the only horse I ever rode into a decent-sized XC fence completely happy and confidently. He would adapt to his rider, I could teach a beginner on him in the morning, then have a dressage lesson on him in the afternoon.

Don't know how typical he was of the breed though, he's the only one I've met.

TS_

Visit site
We think my mare is a Connemara x TB. She's scopey and good fun, very smart which isn't always good. Rather layed back though as you can see from this picture-
DSC00852.jpg

emclarke82

Visit site
We have a connemara mare, the old irish chunky kind, she's amazing. She gives leads to horses who are 16.2hh out hunting can jump anything you point her at, has been placed showing and dressage, team chasing and bsja.
She definitely adapts to the rider as i'll ride her and she can be a bit lively - nothing dangerous just very excitable, and then my non horsey friends have a mooch about on her and she's like a plod.
Brilliant breed, had ours 13 years and we'll definitely get another.

pairciban

Visit site
Love them, my pink pony is a connie with a drop of tb. I bought him wild from Ireland 2 years ago, he has taken a long time to come good. At his first show the judge couldn't believe it was his first time away from home under saddle. Very inteligent, lovely person and a fab mover just a shame he isn't 15.2 not 14.2 thats the only thing I would change.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Sorry, no pics, but I think they are wonderful, versatile all rounders.
My daughter's had one a few years ago, and she was a brilliant jumper, did all Pc activities etc.

My lovely young 7 yo that I lost two years ago was an over grown Connie (!) and he would have truly been my horse of a life time. He had the sweetest nature, was a brilliant hack, jumped everything, could do a lovely dressage test - he was just perfect, and although I am biased, he was incredibly handsome - I wish I could show you some photos, but as well as loosing him, I lost all my pics of him when the old computer crashed.
frown.gif

I have had cobs as well, which have been really good fun, but for me, a Connie just has the edge.
grin.gif

golddustsara

Visit site
I loan an overheight connie - he is super!!!! I wouldn't have anything else. Had a 14.2 connie mare when I was a teen and she was amazing too. They are very cheeky, intelligent horses and are fab jumpers.

alison247

Visit site
super super super!
our connie came over from ireland as a four yr old. Did everything and in his 12 yr career went to 7 national champs.
A must is to do connamara points.
He was reg 138 but was stocky short coupled and apple bum- He was a xc demon!

superstar565

Visit site
Jack is a regd. connie but we think he some otehr native breed in him too! He is a star and has a relaly good jump. He doesnt have a nasty bone in his body and I couldnt wish for a better ponio! love him lots!!
I aslo had a little connie a few ponies ago, he had an amzing jump too but was a bit of a sh!t at time to say the least!!!

ILoveRoxy

Visit site
I had a connemara and he was a bit like marmite - you either loved him or you hated him. He was very stubborn about some things, so was hard to do flatwork on but he was an awsome showjumper and hunting pony. You could just leave him to it and in the 5 months I had him I went from jumping 1'6" courses to 3'3" courses. I only did a mock hunt on him but he was great and I'm sure he would have gone all day. He was fizzy and always wanted to do everything in hurry, but was a really fun pony.

My mum's connemara is a world apart from mine. He is the most laid back pony in existance. He lets anyone do anything to him and just takes life in his stride. He has very poor foot conformation though, so is very prone to laminitis and is now having to have a year off for his feet to recover
frown.gif

Aru

Visit site
There is a good few breeders of connamaras where im from so iv meet a fair few!lovely hardy ponys,they make great all round ponys especially for jumping!seen them mostly as pc ponys bt theres always a collection at the local hunts ...just point them in the right direction and they will pop over any jump...on the other hand they can be stubborn bolshy little feckers when they get away with it..and iv meet a few who learned how to jump out of fields and to open simple bolts on stall doors!they smart...if your buying a purebred be warned there are two colours passports blue meets partial breeding green is pure breeding..