Connemaras... experiences/opinions

Boulty

Visit site
I've not owned one personally but have ridden and been jealous of a few. All the ones I've known have been of the forward going and eager but sane and relatively sensible and straightforward variety. No horse is perfect and they all have their quirks but most of the connies I've known these haven't been dangerous. Was actually what I set out looking for when I ended up with the Welsh beast.

They can get some kind of hoof wall separation issue that I presume is genetic.

Suzie86

Visit site
Miss mistletoe I am 5ft6 so not quite as tall as you, Bailey is 14.2 and a smidge. He's not particularly chunky though. For hacking and jumping he takes up the leg fine but I do have to ride short for flat otherwise it feels weird!! I guess it depends what you want to do!

Apologies if it's enormous as pasting from phone!

hayleyspicsofbailey016.jpg

windand rain

Visit site
Quirky, funny, diva, suspicious and silly in the main. Wouldnt want to own another but loved the one I had to bits she was just and stilll is a perfect pony in the right hands. Could have been disasterous though in the wrong ones as she is very very quick thinking and bad things upset her forever good things she responded to very well.

Bobbly

Visit site
My boy is an Irish bred (very :) ) full up chunky 148cm with a height cert. I would say he harks back to Spanish as opposed to Arab bloodlines and I have been asked if he is part Spanish. He's brave and tough, safe as houses on the road and makes nothing of carrying me and I'm 5'9 and 14.5st on a good day!! These are oldish photo's, he's 15 now and still enjoys days out, especially the sea!

bob2807091-1.jpg
bobs2707101.jpg

bobbath.jpg

holkham1_zps51941677.jpg

mc80007

Visit site
I have a 9yo 15.2/3 Connie. Everyone in the family (and the yard!) loves him to pieces, he is just a little saint most of the time. His does have a few quirks as does every horse (can be difficult to catch if he feels like it, but other times comes trotting over like an angel, also can be quite stubborn on the ground, but will eventually do what he's told!) He is absolutly perfect to ride 99.9% of the time, and although he still needs a bit of bringing on and I need to get used to him as you do have to really think when riding him, he is fantastic. He is a very sporty type connie although doesn't act like it until jumping/big group lessons! He takes big strides for a connie and is an incredible jumper (1.20m +) and he wants to jump as well, but always keeps his rider safe no matter what. He is my first horse and I was looking for a connie, I now can't be happier I found the perfect one!

kez81

Visit site
I have always loved Connies. They are fun ponies, cheeky but not silly and proper little troopers. My big fella is a Connie x Vanner and is the best horse I have ever had. He is clever in the funniest ways. There is not a gate, bolt, bin or box he cannot open and no hedge big enough to keep him in if he decides to climb it! he is very affectionate and follows me like a puppy. He is the nosiest horse I have ever met and insists on saying hi to any new people, animals or ever tractors on the farm. He came to me completely unhandled and uncut as a 3yo and I backed him myself loose in field at 4.5 and he just took everything in his stride. He is brave to hack but can have stupid moments where a random leaf requires a snort and stamp at before he decides to try and eat it. Keeping his weight down is a big problem as he lives on fresh air and is always convinced he is wasting away and will eat anything even if it is not actually edible. He can be cheeky to ride and likes to think he has chosen the route himself! He has inherited his Vanner Sire's big trot and his BSJA Connie Dam's natural talent for jumping so I think he is going to make a pretty solid all rounder but more than that, he is my best friend, my one true love and a real handsome boy!