Conquering dressage nerves (horses not mine!)

rachelandholly

Visit site
Hi all!!

I'm really struggling to settle my horse down at dressage. She warms up absolutely beautifully, but as soon as we enter the arena it's like a switch goes in her brain... she's really tense, canters when we should be trotting, fixes her head in the air, you name it! Any suggestions to help her relax?!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel and stressed Holly!!

B-B

Visit site
It usually is the rider. Some tend to hold their breath, get serious or tense is some way that may not be obvious to you at the time.

If its the boards, judges car/box, flowers etc, then its mileage. If you can hire a venue or if your venue hold clinics then that would also help.

rachelandholly

Visit site
OK, so should add she's out fairly regularly, the venue is only down the road so she knows it well. she's not scared of the boards, flowers, cars, boxes... she jumps perfectly there, she just gets tense doing dressage...

And I don't have any problems with the other horses I compete, so pretty sure it's not me!

jedge

Visit site
I have this problem also. Sounds very similar to the problem I have with my horse. I did however manage a semi-relaxed test last weekend! I worked him in very long and low and did not pick him up before my test. I just kept trotting in a slower than normal rhythm to the arena (out eventing so easy to do this!) I trooted down the centre line in low frame (as this is when he normally goes tense and I start to lack control!) and then picked him up a small amount for the rest of the test.

I did sacrifice top marks but we made no mistakes and he remained relaxed! might be worth a try!