Considerate and helpful bus driver

rhylis

Visit site
With so many cases of inconsiderate dangerous behavior by motorists around horses at the moment I was really pleased to experience the opposite this afternoon.
I was out hacking with my daughter on two of our ponies and in order to get from one side of the farm to the other we have to ride a short way along a very busy road. We were waiting at the farm track entrance to make a right turn across the road but there was a stream of traffic coming towards us including a bus. The bus driver very kindly slowed to a stop and allowed us to cross in front of him. He waited until we were safely clear of the bus before moving off. We have our fair share of speedy inconsiderate drivers around here so it was lovely to come across someone going out of their way to help us.
I've emailed the bus company to tell them they have a lovely bus driver on that route and to say thanks!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Lovely when that happens :) I always make a point of letting businesses know when drivers have been that considerate.

Many years ago when I was a teenager hacking home from hunting, I was on a busy stretch of road and only one vehicle slowed down for me - a Harp Lager tanker. The next day the driver was quaking in his boots when he was called into the manager's office - where my dad (the manager) thanked him very much for his great driving :)

fidleyspromise

Visit site
That was nice of him and it 's nice to hear of events where drivers are considerate.
If a vehicle has livery on it, I make sure to ping them an email of thanks and not all of them respond but a few (including a big name lorry company up here) have responded with gratitude and a promise to get in touch with the drivers.
Only once have I had to send an angry email.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
How nice. It sadly does seem rare that these people are encountered. A few years back I went with my friend to a competition and we were are a really nightmare junction, turning right across a dual carridgeway with a big horse in a trailer, not fun. We had been there nearly 10 mins till a big enough gap appeared. Suddenly to the right of us there were headlights flashing, then again to the left. Couple of vans and trucks had slowed down and made passage for us. I am sad to admit that I was a bit teary as it was very kind of them, and I am an emotional numpty.

Just made such a change from the aholes you can encounter.

huskydamage

Visit site
Always nice to hear good road stories. I found a road I do a loop round had been closed for resurfacing. Construction workers must have took pity on me looking a bit confused lol they moved cones for me and let me ride up it. They said it would be nice as no traffic. I thought that was very good of them they didn't have to do that.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
It's a bit sad that this thread has had nearly a thousand views and only 6 replies, whereas a thread about a bad experience on the road would have had everyone posting.

We should be celebrating good driving around our horses.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I had a good experience the other day when a local pizza delivery driver came round the corner, stopped and turned his engine off whilst we passed. Had he not been on a blind bend the gesture would have been sweet but as it was he actually put both of us in danger but I thanked him as quickly as I could in the hope he started his engine ASAP and didnt cause an accident. The guy who came flying up behind him wasnt amused but we did laugh when I got level with him and I said I cant win, either too fast or stops completely, lol :)

Pippity

Visit site
I had a lovely experience two days ago where a white pick-up with all sorts of weird clanking stuff in the back slowed down to a crawl, and then stopped completely when it became clear my share horse REALLY didn't approve of the situation.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
A couple of months ago I met a super helpful and considerate lorry driver. He was coming towards me with a flat bed lorry full of tote bags and a hi ab crane thingy on top rattling away. He stopped, put his hazards on to warn the vehicles behind him and then when he realised I needed to turn right, across the road in front of him to access a bridleway he switched his engine off and waited until I was well clear before he set off. I waved and smiled to thank him but I did email the company, a local builders merchant, to ask them to pass on my thanks and to acknowledge considerate and careful driving round our little country roads. I received a lovely reply and they promised to speak to him, so I hope they did. I also phoned out biggest local taxi firm to ask them to warn one of their drivers to take notice of the road signs warning about horses on the road which he had just driven past, well over the speed limit and without a hope in hell of slowing down if he met anything round the blind bend. It cuts both ways, people are always quick to complain these days, its a shame a little time to acknowledge good service or consideration for others seems not to matter.

Velcrobum

Visit site
The lanes around were I keep my old boy on livery can be busy but as the vast majority of users are farmers or horse riders it is very safe as they all slow down, in places they stop but that is because there is not much room between side of road and deep ditch!

pippixox

Visit site
I have horses were there is also a gardening company, so they have many tractors and van with trailers. They are always the most considerate. We cross a busy road to the common and it is normally vans who stop not cars.

Sad there are not more positive stories :(