'Considering' a sharer

Redders

Visit site
So, after thinking long and hard, I may consider a sharer for my mare. I would be really fussy to make sure we get the right one etc as this is a big decision for us; she in only 5 and I am taking her education v seriously, want to make sure I do right by her. But, I work full time and do two evenings a week at college which means those a evenings I don't get to the yard until 2130, I do have a friend at the yard and we share mornings and evening duties which helps, and while I don't mind being tired all the time, I feel on those college evenings she would benefit from having another rider to fuss over her- I guess I feel guilty making flying visits on these two days when every other visit I have all the time in the works for her! So question is- anyone have any good/bad stories about sharers? And how do I find one?

tangoharvey

Visit site
I advertised on preloved for a sharer for my Clydesdale mare, a bloke applied who had been on several riding holidays but wanted to hack. Despite being dubious at his lack of experience he was fab and treated my horse like a princess! The only bad thing he did was he let her do whatever she wanted so on a hack she would sometimes spin round for home......til she tried the same with me several times and I found out why!! Once I'd explained why it's important to not let them get away with it he was fine and it was the best decision I could have made as it gave me a much needed break x

misskk88

Visit site
I loaned my horse out after much deliberation. I found her a fabulous short term loan home which has given me a much needed financial break after moving house. I advertised through horsemart, facebook, gumtree, equine adverts, and word of mouth. Loads of enquiries to get through. Biggest time wasters came from facebook as people had just emailed on a whim (although I did speak to one or two in thorough detail, it was just they didn't match what I wanted for my horse). After several people trying my horse, both me and horse just gelled with these people and I had a gut feeling about them. I will be sad when she is back and I have no reason to visit them! They emailed me through Horsemart.

Even if it is only a sharer you are looking for there is no harm in advertising and seeing what comes up. I would certainly keep a close eye to begin with, and write up a share agreement to protect you both.

Good luck in your search :)

ETA- I guess I am a sharer too. I help someone out with general care and turn out/bring in of their horses on odd days and occasionally ride them. That only came about after I replied to an ad on a whim. We do it on a very casual and informal basis and touch wood it seems to work so far, however if it became long term I would happily sign an agreement if she wanted me to. Fingers crossed it continues in this way as I really like her and the horses.

Last edited:

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Don't suppose you're near me? :D

I always look on Preloved for my shares, as they seem to get lost in a sea of other posts on Facebook. I've never found any near me on Horsemart or similar, they tend to be more for selling.