Constant sneezing (horse)

Spyda

Visit site
Every year my 4 year old starts sneezing at this time of year and it continues right through the summer months. She sneezes about once or twice every 5 minutes, constantly, when she's at her worst. Every 10 minutes or so, when she's at her best.

Was wondering if anyone had experience using a nose-net in the field? And whether it helped?

potty_4_piebalds

Visit site
my old boy had a pollen allergy and would sneeze and shake he's head and have puffy watery eyes, I used a nose net when he was ridden but it did irritate him and he would sneeze and shake more than without it, I also used naf easy breathing supplement that helped a lot.

bad girl

Visit site
My boy starts sneezing every summer due to allergy, I give him anti-histamines! Get them from supermarket, some do there own brand, much cheaper. Works really well, amount to give depends on horse, 1 -3 a day, start with one, give with feed, carrot, mint or whatever. No side effects.

Ella19

Visit site
my mare has a nose net when ridden for this reason and it helps her alot! she doesn't tend to do it in the field so haven't got her one for then but if she did I wouldn't hesitate to by her an equilibrium field one.

Spyda

Visit site
I'm not sure she'd like a nose-net because when I used one of those fly masks with the full front covered (down to the tip of the nose) she hated it. Kept rubbing her nose against her front leg until I took pity and put her normal one back on.

Maybe I'll try the antihistamines first and go from there.

Ella19

Visit site
Take care with antihistamines, this is from my vets website

Antihistamines are useful at preventing allergic reactions in humans, but are not so useful in horses especially when the reaction has already occurred. When first exposed to an allergen, e.g. a fly bite, histamine is released at the start of the reaction.

This histamine attracts the body’s inflammatory chemicals, causes the itching and sets everything off. Once this process has started it is too late for antihistamines, only corticosteroids will do. The drowsiness effects of antihistamines are very powerful in the horse. The dose of Piriton is 20 tablets for an average 500kg horse, but this normally makes them very sleepy. Other antihistamines, such as Atarax, are less sedative, but generally antihistamines are rarely used in horses.

Spyda

Visit site
Take care with antihistamines, this is from my vets website

Antihistamines are useful at preventing allergic reactions in humans, but are not so useful in horses especially when the reaction has already occurred. When first exposed to an allergen, e.g. a fly bite, histamine is released at the start of the reaction.

This histamine attracts the body’s inflammatory chemicals, causes the itching and sets everything off. Once this process has started it is too late for antihistamines, only corticosteroids will do. The drowsiness effects of antihistamines are very powerful in the horse. The dose of Piriton is 20 tablets for an average 500kg horse, but this normally makes them very sleepy. Other antihistamines, such as Atarax, are less sedative, but generally antihistamines are rarely used in horses.

Thanks.... think I'll speak with my vet. She's being seen by him for something else ATM anyway. :)