Constructive Critism appreciated

millreef

Visit site
Bear in mind I haven't ridden a dressage test for over three years and that was my first! So it's my second so far. I came 7th due to the mishap (watch the clip and you'll know what I'm talking about). I'd appreciate any comments good and very good! Please be gentle with me as I'm a sensitive soul and this was a competition open to mainly teenagers who are livery. I only see my horses in the summer so I'm riding a school horse. By the way, my 12 year old daughter came 6th overall!!! Well done mini-me:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ha5s9c_7Q&context=C37ce1a9ADOEgsToPDskIXjN4-8hmKJFUsBkjVS3AL

Last edited:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I take it Anneka prefers to canter on the right rein, lol :) You have some smashing facilities there, I am well impressed.
No particular CC, it was a pleasing general picture, I would maybe just suggest shorter reins, so she is less strung out and more ''up front'' and a little bit more precision in riding your figures, corners etc.
Well done though!

PS. How has a welsh cob found its way to Honk Kong?

Wobblywibble

Visit site
Oooh I used to ride at Lo Wu in the 70s! It looks a bit different now, we didn't have mod cons like floodlights!! Loved it there, we used to take the Borneo stallions out anywhere and everywhere, through tiny villages and paddy fields and usually ended up over the border where we shouldn't be! I have so many good memories of the many horses, people and riding there, hacking over to Beas River, competitions, pony club camp. It was bliss. I gather it has moved now though to what we used to call the top field where all our shows were held. Don't know if you have seen the Facebook group HongKong Services Saddle Club - lots of pics there if you are interested.

As for your test - well sat on the little cowbag when she had her moment! That aside it looked very calm and obedient, though she looks like a typical cob who doesn't want to work too hard if she doesn't have to. I'd say try and keep your hands a bit quieter, her head is wobbling which suggests you are using too much hand. Difficult to disguise in a test when you want your horse to come round and it sticks it's nose out.

Well done to mini me too.

millreef

Visit site
Ha Ha yes, she's very temperamental! You have to go through the motions of having the argument with her and winning it. I sometimes wish we could just cut out all of that and get on with the riding but NO every single time I ride her it's the same. She's imported from England (or Wales) because all the other horses are thoroughbreds given by the Hong Kong Jockey Club. They're all pretty neurotic and slightly odd so it's nice having a Welshy to ride.
Lo Wu used to be a bit further down but the government built a womans' prison and they had to move down a bit to make room. Incidentally Wobblywibbly, did you know the little pony 'Abo"? He's over 40 and still going strong!

Wobblywibble

Visit site
No Abo was after my time, we had the Borneo stallions (who were all crazy and used for polo twice a week) and the TBs plus a handful of slightly bigger Australian ponies. When I first went there the mules were still there too and every year at one of the Jockey Club shows there was a mule race! I can't remember what happened to them when the troop was disbanded, but know that one of them was the first equine in HK to contract EIA and die from it. A very sad time followed as every horse had to be checked and a large number of apparently healthy horses failed the Coggins tests and had to be destroyed.

On a happier note, the Jockey Club at that time had a Welsh Cob called Podger. He was roan, very fat and suited his name perfectly!

black_horse

Visit site
Bear in mind I haven't ridden a dressage test for over three years and that was my first! So it's my second so far. I came 7th due to the mishap (watch the clip and you'll know what I'm talking about). I'd appreciate any comments good and very good! Please be gentle with me as I'm a sensitive soul and this was a competition open to mainly teenagers who are livery. I only see my horses in the summer so I'm riding a school horse. By the way, my 12 year old daughter came 6th overall!!! Well done mini-me:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ha5s9c_7Q&context=C37ce1a9ADOEgsToPDskIXjN4-8hmKJFUsBkjVS3AL

You did really well, well done! That pony is definetly opinionated :D Bless her :)

shadowboy

Visit site
A nice calm test other than the mishap. My only issue I would work on is keeping the hands a little more still, this may help keep the horse's head more quiet. The rest of you presents a tidy picture. :)

muddygreymare

Visit site
You did great, well done you! As others have said, only thing I noticed was your hands - shorten your reins up a bit and try to work on them keeping them still :) Lovely horse though, with a little bit of attitude :D

dumpling

Visit site
Very nice little horse. The thing I noticed, despite the buck,(lol) was when you come down the centre line make sure you go right to the bottom and don't cut off too soon.

millreef

Visit site
Thanks for all the time you have taken to look and comment on my test. I totally agree with your comments about my hands. I feel so happy to be competing even if it is only a very basic level.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Well sat! And well recovered lass :D

I'm with the others :D. Nicely ridden, just need to be softer through the arms (bend a tad more at the elbows), relax and absorb the movement, and the hands will come :D. It's lately become my issue as well - got the legs sussed to the detriment of m'hands :rolleyes:

I think you did grand :D. The level of comp is academic really :D. It's what the horse and rider are able to do, otherwise we'd all be crying into our tea that we aren't Edward and don't have Totillas (is that right! I can never spell it!) to ride :cool::D