Constructive help on breaking without lectures please!

McNally

Visit site
Ok, will get the I know i've been stupid bit over with first.
As some of you will know my daughters pony was pts a short time ago and I was probably more upset by this than she was, when we were given a pony I was so shocked/surprised/flattered I dont know that i accepted instantly, Its a pony we both know and loved for ages but here is the bad bit.....He's not broken in and i have never even been remotely interested in breaking a youngster in my life, I could probably do it if i had the inclination but tbh i dont even know where to start.
I accepted the pony when the gifters promised to break and bring it on for us but he was ridden for a couple of days (no lunging, long reining etc just got on and led round) but not been touched since.
I am really stressed about this situation i am now in, I have a unbroken horse that i have no idea what to do next with.
I know enough about youngsters to know that what happens next can make or break for the rest of his ridden life and am sooo scared of screwing him up.
I thought of sending him away for a while to be broken but have heard horror stories, have no idea where or what it would cost/where i would find the money etc.
please NO LECTURES I know its hard bringing on a baby and have not purposely got myself in this situation- I actually cant sleep!!!

- Nb for the odd 1 or 2 ppl here who know me from another forum- I am too embarrassed to admit there that its not all rosey any more! :-(

Nathan-And-Hayke

Visit site
To be honest, it sounds as if you'd be best having someone else back and school the pony. Perhaps they could even supervise daughter for her first few rides to tell her the best way to deal with the pony.

Ask around - vets, farriers, riding instructors etc - and find someone with a good reputation, and I think the situation will work out fine. :)

Ladyinred

Visit site
Calm down :D

Just spend your first days getting to know him and establishing a routine. I have no doubt he is as scared as you are!

Honestly, its all common sense and doing things slowly and carefully, always making sure the horse understands what you have done before. Repetition and then more repetition. We have just backed our norty 4 yo.. it was a breeze. In two days she is walking round, halting and veing generally very polite.

People here will hold your hand and talk you through it all. But make sure you get to know him and gain his trust first, thats the most important thing. There are no big secrets and it ain't rocket science. You will feel great the first time you get a rider on him!

McNally

Visit site
Oh 2 more replies!
I would like ideally to get someone else to do it but not sure if i can afford it.
This pony is plenty big enough for me to ride and i wont be letting my daughter ride until i am sure he's ok (altho she has sat on him with the old owners)
Just not sure what to do!!!

Kokopelli

Visit site
First off calm down, its not too difficult to do :)

Where are you based? I'm sur eif you asked on here for someone near you to do it you would find someone lovely to back the pony for you :)

And personally I wouldn't have turned down a free pony, backed or unbacked, you are going to have years of fun with this pony if done correctly :D

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Firstly, you are not stupid.

But honestly, I would send him away to do it. If you don't know what you are doing then you could wind up in a whole heap of trouble. People on here can give you advice but this is nothing compared to a real life person!

Ask around, and find someone who will show YOU what they are doing & where you can be involved. This is a much better way to learn than to bumble along hoping you are doing it right. That way, if you find yourself with a youngster again, you will be in a better situation and then you WILL know what to do.

I know that it could be expensive BUT better to do this than have to send him away in 6 months time when he becomes difficult.

Where are you located?

McNally

Visit site
Really? No lunging etc- I thought you HAD to, to install brakes and steering etc?

No I couldnt turn him down really! apart from being very very rude as it was such and amazingly kind offer he is so gorgeous :)

I am on the Oxon/Glos border if anyone does know of someone who could help?

One idea i had was to get an instructor say once a week (therefore not costing hundreds) to put me on the right track and give me an idea of what to work on over the week til they next came?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Chill :D

Lots of groudwork.

Introduce a bit - call a bit bank if you're unsure which one. Put on a headstall only (leave the noseband off). Leave it on in the stable for a few minutes (stay nearby!). Build up the time. If there is any resistance or angst re. the bit, smear a bit of minty toothpaste on it :)

Do you know how to long rein?

I don't like too much lunging, too much strain on the inside hind.

Introduce rugs and saddle (not at the same time lol).

Get pony used to being handled all over, moving calmly away from pressure, picking up feet, etc. Everything calm and steady :)

Walk out in hand (in a bit and bridle).

Get the pony used to there being 'things' above line of his back.

Whilst you're at it, you can do the de-spooking :). Getting him used to tarpaulins, poles, wings, etc.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Hmm you seem not far from me, my instructor is brilliant at backing ponies and if she hasn't got space for one she knows a lot of people who can do it. If I was you I would start on the groundwork and then just send the pony away for the first sitting and the basic schooling.

Long reining is your friend :) if you don't know how to do it find out! Also walking out in hand is a good idea.

Perhaps even introduce a roller then a saddle if he excepts this. If your still worried you could get a book which goes by steo by step how to break a horse? This may be very helpfull.

Crazydancer

Visit site
I can understand some of your fear - I bought a yearling, had very little previous experience, and lots of people thought I was mad.
You probably will make mistakes, but you won't damage him, they are very good at letting you know if something isn't right. If you were training and bringing on a competiton horse, then maybe different. Ask around locally and find someone you trust or who is recommended. I found a lady who took my youngster at 4, had him for 6 weeks, they taught him a lot, in little sessions. For the last 2 weeks I went over and worked with them, so I knew what they were doing, and how, and to give me an idea of what to do once we were home. We then just hacked. A LOT! And just had fun. A few mishaps along the way (lesson one - do not go out for a hack with a frisky thoroughbred who can't be held, if he takes off, so will you!!) and yes I did make mistakes. But 17 years on, I wouldn't have changed anything. He is a lovely, cheeky, fun 'person', has had sharers who have loved him as much as I do, took him hunting, and he even did a stint at an RDA. A lovely fun little horse that enjoys life. I hope your story will be similar, good luck. :D

Ladyinred

Visit site
Really? No lunging etc- I thought you HAD to, to install brakes and steering etc?

No I couldnt turn him down really! apart from being very very rude as it was such and amazingly kind offer he is so gorgeous :)

I am on the Oxon/Glos border if anyone does know of someone who could help?

One idea i had was to get an instructor say once a week (therefore not costing hundreds) to put me on the right track and give me an idea of what to work on over the week til they next came?

You can teach voice commands doing groundwork, halt, whoa, trot, walk etc and steering is easy to teach as its very logical to the horse, use an open rein and the horse will 'step into the space'

Your idea of an instructor once a week is a good one. It will give you the confidence and also a plan to follow. If you are happier that way then the pony will be too.

McNally

Visit site
Ok actually we have slightly bypassed that stage!
He is happy to have a bridle on (happy mouth loose ring, no noseband) and a saddle - My daughter can tack him up alone, He took to this very easily- in fact was fine from the first time we tried!
He is also happy to wear a rug- we did this slowly but again he was fine.
He will be sat on and will follow another person around- but there is no "riding" as such he is just following and tolerating the extra weight!
He is happy to stand and be plaited, brushed hooves painted etc (He has had to take over from where my daughters little princess pony left off and is doing a fab job!)
So he has gone from being unhandled apart from the odd farriers visit to being fussed by a child daily with no problem.

I take it this is good!??

hadfos

Visit site
I notice alot of people are swaying away from the lunging????For the length of time you would need to lunge him unless he has serious joint issues in the first place will not make any difference to him at all!!All i would suggest is do not stand fixed to one spot,walk a circle with him as you are lunging and it will increase his circle and there is hardly any more pressure on joints than if you were riding a 20metre circle :)
They need to be lunged to learn voice commands with no contact on mouth!Side reins are introduced VERY loosely,and gradually tightened as pony/horse understands the voice aids!
Lots and lots of handling :)
If you lunge and he fully understands what is being asked of him,weight on his back should be an easy progression for him...if you are not sure,get some trousers fill them with something reasonably heavy,tie them to saddle(make sure legs are of even weight or they will slip),and let him have tantrum with those for a while...they do work :D xx

Ladyinred

Visit site
Chill :D

Lots of groudwork.

Introduce a bit - call a bit bank if you're unsure which one. Put on a headstall only (leave the noseband off). Leave it on in the stable for a few minutes (stay nearby!). Build up the time. If there is any resistance or angst re. the bit, smear a bit of minty toothpaste on it :)

Do you know how to long rein?

I don't like too much lunging, too much strain on the inside hind.

Introduce rugs and saddle (not at the same time lol).

Get pony used to being handled all over, moving calmly away from pressure, picking up feet, etc. Everything calm and steady :)

Walk out in hand (in a bit and bridle).

Get the pony used to there being 'things' above line of his back.

Whilst you're at it, you can do the de-spooking :). Getting him used to tarpaulins, poles, wings, etc.

You sound like you do things the same way as us! We have never ever had any hassle or a fight when we back and start youngsters, I would be ashamed if we did.

McNally

Visit site
Lol Crazydancer that made me smile! My own horse is that nutty TB- he has been out of work injured since March and is shortly going to start ridden work again- If i had the choice of which on to jump on tomorrow it would be the pony!

The long term plan is that the four of us will be able to hack together again- well 3 of us and one new addition! Think thats a long way off though.

sunshine19

Visit site
Ok actually we have slightly bypassed that stage!
He is happy to have a bridle on (happy mouth loose ring, no noseband) and a saddle - My daughter can tack him up alone, He took to this very easily- in fact was fine from the first time we tried!
He is also happy to wear a rug- we did this slowly but again he was fine.
He will be sat on and will follow another person around- but there is no "riding" as such he is just following and tolerating the extra weight!
He is happy to stand and be plaited, brushed hooves painted etc (He has had to take over from where my daughters little princess pony left off and is doing a fab job!)
So he has gone from being unhandled apart from the odd farriers visit to being fussed by a child daily with no problem.

I take it this is good!??

This is fantastic, well done! You are doing great, don't panic. It sounds like you have a nice wee pony to start with. If you can't afford to send him away to be broken, then do as you previously said, get an instructor in to give you guidence. Relax and have fun :)

McNally

Visit site
Hadfos- I cant imagine him trying to throw me off, he's far to even tempered and accepting! I like the image though!
I am perfectly happy to get on him its just the lack of confidence i guess and the fear of getting it all wrong!

Sunshine19- Thank you x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
You've had some great advice already on here, I'm not going to add to it but wish you a lot of luck and happiness with this new chance. Your idea of having an instructor out regularly is a very good one as are all the ideas of de spooking and so on. Once new pony is used to traffic you'll all be hacking together no problem. Don't forget we'll want some pics.
PS: I'm in the same boat only I bought mine as a project last year and still haven't done anything with her so I'm a fine one to talk! The mind's willing but the body isn't!

McNally

Visit site
The mind's willing but the body isn't![/QUOTE]

hehe- will swap half my body for half your willing mind! we will both have beautifully broken ponies in no time!

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Do you post on TO too? Just wondering, I seem to remember a similar story from there (I'm Teazle there if you are the person I'm thinking of). First question is, do you have a signed receipt to show that it is yours? If you don't have proof of ownership, you could spend ££ getting it schooled etc for them to turn around and say 'it was only a loan', take pony back and sell it on.

If the pony is laid back and sensible, has been sat on and ridden off the lead rein without too much difficulty, you/your daughter will likely be fine if you find a really good instructor, and have regular (weekly at first) lessons. The dangers of sending away can be that you get a problem coming home to you. I've corrected a few of those, and it is much easier to start with a blank canvas!

McNally

Visit site
**flinching slightly** umm, yea!
I dont yet have the paperwork so have no intention of spending anything until i do- no worries there!

This is what i quietly feared might happen, the first week they were great and helped daily- well about 4 times i guess but since then nothing, I know the givers are so so busy i dont like to say "look its been 8 days since you helped us now" The passport has been sent away for the change of ownership and because my daughter wanted his name changed from the passport name to his stable name which he has always been called, Once this is done a receipt will be sorted- I think i will give them a £1 or something as i hear this makes it legal properly?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

You're half-way there! If he is accepting the rider on his back when led, then the leader needs to start doing a little less -and the rider a little more. So rider says: 'walk' - and uses a teensy bit of leg. Rider says: 'whoa' -with a pull on neck strap (ALWAYS use a neck strap!) - NOT reins. Rein aids should be VERY light at this stage. The leader becomes more of a 'life line' as the rider starts to take control.

A little lunging at this stage is very good thing because you can teach the pony to walk, trot and canter and whoa to the voice aid - and that helps no end when you're teaching leg & rein aids. It will also save you killing off your leader when you introduce trot and canter under the rider - you can do it on the lunge with the person holding the lunge line being ONLY a lifeline rather than actively lunging the pony.

Take it slowly - one step at a time, and once he gets one step right, progress slowly to the next step. He has to be safe and sensible for your dughter so take your time - and practice each step every day BEFORE moving forward. But get those voice commands PERFECT! By the time my 3 year olds are backed they will halt from canter in two strides - just on the voice and a touch of the neck strap. Makes them super safe - and also means they have lovely light mouths because they've never been pulled! At this point it's easy to get them to accept a contact and work into it.

sem9999

Visit site
You have had good advice so far, just one little point I would add. In the initial stages, you have to seriously remind yourself that all the 'wobblyness' you will be experiencing when first riding is not due to your bad riding/position/skill but mostly to the poor chap/ess under you trying to work its balance out. Be patient at the beginning and just ask for things calmly and consistently, you will be surprised how quickly things suddenly improve after a while.

Good luck!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
You have had good advice so far, just one little point I would add. In the initial stages, you have to seriously remind yourself that all the 'wobblyness' you will be experiencing when first riding is not due to your bad riding/position/skill but mostly to the poor chap/ess under you trying to work its balance out. Be patient at the beginning and just ask for things calmly and consistently, you will be surprised how quickly things suddenly improve after a while.

Yep - little point - but important! Once pony is 'safe' in the manege in walk, trot and 'whoa', get him OUT of the manege and hack, hack, hack. We give our youngsters at least 3 months of hacking - sometimes longer - before ttempting to 'school' them - obviously basic schooling can be done while hacking - but too much schooling in the manege is hard work for babies, they need to get established in forward, calm and straight and develop balance and self carriage out hacking first.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I'm not far from you & am breaking my youngster in too. He doesn't trot on the lunge 'why do you want me to go any faster mum?' as he plods along. Each baby is different & you will know when he's ready to move to the next stage. Trust your instincts. I'd send a PM if I knew how to work this forum!!LOL