contact- how should it feel

luie123

Visit site
Hi, I am going through a few issues with my horse at the moment and i am try to develop a consistant contact. I tend to ride too softly and my instructor says I need to push him forward into the contact.

But how much should I feel down the reins? I hate to see people sawing at their horse mouth or hanging on for dear life!

Please help! x

fairhill

Visit site
How long is a piece of string????
Why don't you ask your instructor to hold the other end of the reins to you at the 'right' tension, so that you get a feel for what it should be like?

K27

Visit site
I would try to get your instructor to help you and explain what contact you need as she knows your horse and you. Dont know if this will help.... You should aim for a soft, light and elastic contact with the horses mouth. Try to keep your hands still and your elbows by your side, gently absorbing the horses movement. The contact should be consistent- always there. With a younger horse you may need to take a firmer contact - when they give, you should allow with your contact however dont throw your reins away as this will be inconsistent. If you feel your horse trying to evade, keep your hands still, feeling the reins and use your leg to push him up into the contact, when you feel him softeneing you can back off slightly with your leg. 3 or 4 loop serpentines (depending on size of school can help) each time you touch the long size of the school ride a 10 mtr circle, keeping the contact and using your leg to ride him up- he should get softer- gd luck!.....

luie123

Visit site
Thank you, that really helps! If they snatch and completely resist the contact should I check or just try and keep my hands still and push forward until he softens again?

I worry that if I try and check him i just pull him in the mouth and i'm not quick enough so its not stopping him doing it butt just jabbing him in the mouth!

K27

Visit site
Try to keep your hands still but following your horses movement- ie allowing. If they try to snatch, use your legs really strong but keep the same pace and use a firm squeeze on the rein- never pull backwards with the hand though.
You can also use your elbow if they resist.

samp

Visit site
My instructor says you should hold on to the horses mouth like you would hard a childs hand.

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, that really helps! If they snatch and completely resist the contact should I check or just try and keep my hands still and push forward until he softens again?

I worry that if I try and check him i just pull him in the mouth and i'm not quick enough so its not stopping him doing it butt just jabbing him in the mouth!

[/ QUOTE ]

Right I'm going through the start of all this at the moment!

My boy had a complete paddy, throwing his head up and rattling the bit in his mouth. I just had to keep hold the whole time, not let him get behind the bit and the pressure was quite strong - far more than I thought would be necessary but it worked.

Unfortunately, for my boy, he'd been forced into a 'pretty' outline for too long so he needs to go back to basics but is getting there.

You have to sit out the paddys though and just keep walking/pushing on until they go onto the bit.

Get a really good instructor. I seriously felt very emotional when I felt that 'click' of him working onto the bit from behind.....I actually know what it means now. God, I'm so over dramatic! haa haa x

luie123

Visit site
Thats how I feel Stimpy! Its how to deal with the paddys! I am getting there in walk, but trot and cancer are a different matter. I think i maybe need to be a little stronger with my hands, and soften when he does and push him forward. Put not let him run off Its just so many things at once!

Thank you to everyone one for there tips.

Parkranger

Visit site
See Ty doesn't throw a paddy in trot/canter anymore - just walk.

Have you tried some pole work to get his mind thinking about other things? Are you sure you're keeping the contact in the other gaits? So easy to drop contact!

Definately get a really good instructor. it's hard without one!