Containing a Shetland

poiuytrewq

Visit site
😩
He’s usually pretty good and until this week hasn’t even tried to escape! I’d fenced off an area for other horses using just one strand of electric rope. Added him to the mix and he stayed put for ages, although admittedly I knew he’d probably get out at some point and when he did I added another strand lower. I’m now up to 3 strands and the battery is charged (I’m getting shocks) I’ve made sure it’s not touching much so shouldn’t be earthing out.
I’ve watched him do it several times he just charges flat out through and somehow manages to get the other side without damaging the fence (at least I can be grateful for that I suppose!)
He seems happy to take the quick zap to get to the grass.
I’m currently returning him 2 a day and could be countless times if I was there more often. Any ideas besides tethering the little sod?!
I can bring him home but tbh that’s my last resort as he’d be alone which I don’t like. Our minimal grazing here is recovering from being hammered over winter so I can’t bring the others back.
He removes muzzles just as fast.
Driving me nuts!!

pansymouse

Visit site
Have you got enough posts to put a second fence about a metre away from the first with the posts staggered rather than lined up with the first fence? He should see that as a much more challenging barrier than a single layer. However I've always been of the opinion that a Shetland could get through a cat flap if it was minded to...

be positive

Visit site
Once they learn the reward is greater than the risk of a slight shock then not much will stop them, a shetland will be worse because they have so much hair to protect them from a shock, my ponies are so much more respectful in summer without the protection of a winter coat they give up even trying which makes life easier.
If you could clip his chest and neck it may help as the fence will make better contact, thin his mane or plait it so is is giving less protection and put up a second line inside the fence so he has 2 chances of getting zapped, putting water around the earth stake will increase the power but he may still try, every "success" will make it worthwhile, a few failures and he may give up until he spots a weakness again.

Auslander

Visit site
No advice, but good luck!

14725705_10155017377375730_4470750394126569820_n.jpg

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
My little ones are behind five foot posts with three strands of electric tape (I found the wire/rope to not be that successful with the little ones and 20mm tape to be more effective. When one of my little boys recently decided he wanted to try his chance with escaping and getting in with my new mare, he did get through the fence, I upgraded by adding another two strands of tape, so they are now behind five strands of tape, there was no way he could get through that and has since given up. We were on batteries for ages and they did test when the battery was getting low, so make sure the battery is well charged, we are now on a mains energiser and it's much better (and flipping heck it does hurt!).

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
It's very hard to "get over" them when they have such a huge character I always think. I remember the video of him drinking the vet's tea. He brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people that's for sure, he was exceptionally lucky to have found you, even for that short time. Time does make things easier but I know what you mean as we suddenly lost hubby's mare in March 2017 and I still think about her, I had to move one of the horses into her stable just so it wasn't empty anymore. Bless you Aus. xx

Polos Mum

Visit site
My big horse just went through any electric - the 20 seconds of shocks was always worth it in his opinion - double fencing , tall posts, 4 / 5 strands rope/ thick tape / thin tape !

My Shetland only stays in with sheep wire - could you buy a role - have it behind the electric so your big horses can't get to it / get feet stuck in it and tie it to electric posts - so you can still move it about as you need to - very similar idea to sheep hurdles but I'd guess a lot cheaper.

TelH

Visit site
I've always been of the opinion that a Shetland could get through a cat flap if it was minded to...

This ^^^^

Rather than containing a Shetland I prefer to use the phrase 'attempting the impossible'. If escapology was an Olympic sport the gold medal would be won by a Shetland every time.

You have my sympathy.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have some goats who are always getting out, and am about to try this stuff. If it can keep a goat in it will probably work for a shetland, if it's fixed to fairly sturdy posts.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/hotline-electrified-goat-netting-50m

I'm sorry to say, that type of netting is a nightmare, unless your land is billiard table flat. We have it for sheep but we have stopped electrifying it because it shorts out so often and any clumps of grass/bumps in the earth push it up too high and leave a gap underneath it.

Abacus

Visit site
I'm sorry to say, that type of netting is a nightmare, unless your land is billiard table flat. We have it for sheep but we have stopped electrifying it because it shorts out so often and any clumps of grass/bumps in the earth push it up too high and leave a gap underneath it.

Arrrrgggghhhh I just placed the order! I'm coming to the conclusion that nothing will keep these damn goats in... anyone for curry?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions!
That photo of little Ted!!!! �� It’s a good job they never met, they would have taken on the world together!

Ok, so number 1. (After I’ve caught him as pretty sure he will be out!) is going to be to clip him. He is still fairly hairy even in summer so it won’t do him any harm. Actually tempted to clip him properly? So the higher strands get his back?
This is quite exciting, always wanted a real excuse to clip him ;)
I will see what I can round up extra fencing wise, don’t think I have enough but possibly.
Sheep hurdles are also a good idea, wonder if I can get hold of any to try.
He keeps me on my toes!

only_me

Visit site
I put the Shetland into the chicken area, which has high chicken fencing the whole perimeter with 2 gates, also fenced. As I was in the other yard I watched the Shetland walk past me very nonchalantly lol. I thought I was seeing things as the area is very secure!!

The litter rotter had worked out how to open the chicken door Gate!!

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
Just remember that anything that they can get their fury wee bums on is fair game, even our 28inch tinies can demolish anything that isn't electrified with their bums.

I clip mine apart from legs (they're just too tiny and fiddly!) one of mine is a bit too ticklish near his nether regions so he usually ends up with a tuft (willy warmer!). My previous farrier (a real roughty toughty type) used to almost roll on the floor with laughter as he said he'd never met anyone that clipped Shetlands.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Arrrrgggghhhh I just placed the order! I'm coming to the conclusion that nothing will keep these damn goats in... anyone for curry?

I used to work in mole and we had plenty of people happy with it, you do need a really decent energiser though.

meleeka

Visit site
I used to work in mole and we had plenty of people happy with it, you do need a really decent energiser though.

I have this for my pigs and I've found it excellent (though it's cheaper on eBay). My unit is quite powerful and on the mains but my pigs will go through normal rape but they haven't even tested this.

Back to the Shetland. Mine has a strand about 6 inches off the floor and another at his chest height, followed by a third for normal sized ponies. He would go under easy enough but doesn't want to wriggle through the two bottom strands.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Maleeka, Thats what I've now done. still out!

So I've just retrieved him from tummy deep grass and hauled him outside to the gateway where I realised 1- There is no-where to tie him up and 2- He's never been clipped before. Apart from his escaping he's actually a complete superstar and stood perfectly (didn't even graze, could be full to bursting or could have been slightly nervous of what the heck was happening!?) So he's now a size smaller, Ive not done his back as he's grey and i don't want to be worrying next about him burning or getting rain scald! but he's had his neck, tummy and front end off and looks very cute (and worried)
Going to go back in a few hours and return him to the field again as i fully expect him to have a go and think even if this works he will have to try it out first to find out that the shocks now have a bit more poke!
Fingers x'd!