Contender breeding- anybody had event horses from contender ...

opinionuk

Visit site
I'm thinking about taking a risk which most people will advise against! Lol but I have to see and ride a horse that has amazing paces and a huge jump but is really green due to being a 5 year old, so the plan is to send him to a professional to produce, however I have no idea whether it can xc as it's not been near a course!

Has anybody got an eventer from a contender horse?

http://youtu.be/zYvP9fQ4JL0

kassieg

Visit site
i dont know any contender horses who event

but he is a light for a warmblood so thats always good... my bosses 4* horse was full warmblood so I wouldn't worry too much if you are only wanting to go novice time wise it shouldn't be a problem :)

he is beautiful !! could you not ask them to take him to a local xc course, even if you just jump tiny 1s, a ditch & water because they are usually the 2 main problems, just to see how he reacts, least then you will have a bit more of an idea :)

oldvic

Visit site
Without wishing to be discouraging, he looks more like a show jumper to me. He obviously has a lot of scope but his naturally big jump is likely to get him into trouble across country except possibly ridden by a very experienced and high class pro. On the flat he doesn't naturally engage behind and has quite a round short action in front in trot and doesn't look like a natural galloper.

becca1305

Visit site
I'm currently looking for a youngster with potential to do Int in the future, to hopefully eventually be my big mare's successor. My trainer who is very good at selecting and producing young event horses said very similar regarding the xc phase. If you want to send one to a pro to produce then why not first find a pro whose riding you like, have a few lessons with them to make sure you click and have similar riding styles, and get them to help you source the horse/ go back with them to see this one.

Sb2

Visit site
Didn't watch the video but the contender line is about the one warmblood line that always pops up in the best event horses... Don't forget he is a direct link to Cor de ka bryere like cavalier Royale. Nzb campino is one such example at the top of my head!!

Turitea

Visit site
There are quite a few horses with contender blood eventing in Germany. And they are not the worst. ;) So yes, go and have a look at the advertised horse. :)

cundlegreen

Visit site
Very nice type, but like Oldvic, I'd be worried about the time he spends in the air. I buy for eventing, and the time XC is a big factor. Sometimes these big jumping horses can get into a muddle XC and then frighten themselves. Depends what level you want to event though.

Firewell

Visit site
He is LOVELY! However until he's faced with a coffin/water/step for the first time you won't know if he has what it takes. I think eventing is more about attitude than it is scope :). Scrappy rather than Scooby!