contradictory information yet again about dog walking!

{97702}

Visit site
Again that's very easy to say. The government is working off information from the scientific community. Originally it was thought that, given the relatively low transmission rate, herd immunity could be reached without overwhelming the NHS, assuming the public obeyed social distancing to reduce the rate further. People didn't so that option is no longer viable. Hence the change in government policy. Now we have to isolate for an infinite amount of time until either an effective vaccine is produce, an effective treatment is produced, or herd immunity is reached. I cannot stand BoJo but there's no point blaming him or the government, they can only with off the information available. (And you can say look to Italy but given the difference in social structure and demographic there is only so much that can be extrapolated)

In all honesty I’m not interested in getting into a political debate on a dog page, but I’ve seen plenty of evidence which shows that the governments approach in the early days was fundamentally flawed regardless of whose advice it was based on. I would trawl through and find the relevant links, but I’ve got a job interview to prepare for in 1/2 an hour. I would be equally critical of the governments approach whether Keir Starmer had decided to adopt that approach or that idiot we have as PM at the moment.

leflynn

Visit site
Sorry, haven't read all posts, but Govt guidance is that you should definitly NOT be travelling to places to walk your dog.
This, its not essential to drive your dog to walk somewhere - it's nice to therefore not essential.

I saw an explanation that said if you can choose to do it or not, then its not essential and shouldn't be done.

Cahill

Visit site
my observation from my house-only the same one or two dogs are usually walked past my house each day.(semi rural and no pavements).
lost count of how many in the last few days and they are all pulling their owners along like they have never been walked before,where do they all come from?all sorts big and small,they must be fairly local but it is making me wonder.

paddy555

Visit site
That is not to say that I think that is sensible advice. It would, for example. Be a lot more sensible for people to drive five miles to my quiet bit of countryside and walk here than in the crowded parks in town.

which is exactly what they did last week end. They all drove to the countryside, in our case Dartmoor. The roads were totally choked. All they did was to bring the possibility of the virus into a rural area that was previously self contained.
To my mind they shouldn't be locking down the towns. If people are too stupid to heed advice (advice not being forced to) then let them spread it. They should be locking the countryside and rural villages etc down to protect the rest of us.

Devon and Cornwall police have said twice on the news that taking a car to walk the dogs is not allowed.

Visit site
Then again there are the professional dog walkers who are collecting various dogs and driving them to green areas walk them. So they are allowed to do that as part of a business but private owners aren' t. So shall I set myself up in business as a dog walker , very co nfusing

honetpot

Visit site
We are on a spur of a very under used footpath that runs along our land, not any more is it under used. More people to have more time to walk further, and if you have one walk a day it makes sense to make the most of it.
If you take you car out that is one more for the police to worry about stopping to find out if they have a valid reason to be out. I need some fertiliser for my paddocks, I have just been through in my head the documents I will have to take with me in case I am stopped, I don't need a tonne bag. Cattle feed I order in bulk bags.
I think the goverment are trying to get people to use their 'common sense', and not be prescriptive, unfortuately people have shown how selfess and greedy they are. Its not a game, what can we get away with and not get caught, and how many the dog ate my homework excuses can I think up to justify what I am doing.
My help is also a dog trainer/walker, many of her clients have cancelled, so the ones that are left will be ill or working and have no alternative but to use her. I have cut her days but I still need her for heavy work, so I save it up for 'her' days, and she is working alone. I assume there will be a lot of volunteers walking peoples dogs for people who have been advised not to go out at all.

Visit site
Honetpot, but that means contact with other people? My dog walker has cancelled coming to me.
I know everyones circumstances are different. My friend has two bad hips, she takes her dogs in the car to the park so she can let them off while she slowly bumbles round, like me she has no garden to speak of.

vallin

Visit site
Then again there are the professional dog walkers who are collecting various dogs and driving them to green areas walk them. So they are allowed to do that as part of a business but private owners aren' t. So shall I set myself up in business as a dog walker , very co nfusing

My dog walkers have shut their business down for the time being which is what I think most should be doing apart from being out key workers and the vulnerable to minimise contact.

satinbaze

Visit site
All professional dog walkers in my area have closed their businesses.

SpringArising

Visit site
Before you lecture me on social responsibility (which I have a rather good awareness of given the job I do) could I suggest you actually read my posts, where I clearly explain that the actions I would prefer to take involve far LESS risk to the general public than the government guidelines? If they did not, of course I wouldn’t be wanting to do them - I’m not stupid

Well the problem is that if everyone thought that way then everyone would be out in droves driving to those 'remote' areas. Stopping off to get fuel, or a drink, or a snack, and probably spreading it further.

Driving to take the dog for a scenic walk isn't essential travel. The guidelines aren't hard to follow.

conkers

Visit site
I have never seen so many people using the park that my house backs on to. And people are walking past my front door with dogs that I have never seen before.
The park is big enough to cope as long as people are sensible and give way when they need to pass. I am walking my dog at 6am when there are still very few people around.

{97702}

Visit site
Well the problem is that if everyone thought that way then everyone would be out in droves driving to those 'remote' areas. Stopping off to get fuel, or a drink, or a snack, and probably spreading it further.

Driving to take the dog for a scenic walk isn't essential travel. The guidelines aren't hard to follow.

Not sure where you get the idea that I’m “taking the dog for a scenic walk” - I’m driving 10 minutes down the road ?

SpringArising

Visit site
Not sure where you get the idea that I’m “taking the dog for a scenic walk” - I’m driving 10 minutes down the road ?

So you're not driving somewhere to take your dog for a walk?

These rules apply to everyone - regardless of whether it's a 10 minute drive or an hour's drive.

Reactions: TPO

Moobli

Visit site
My local Council have closed all beach car parks after last weekend's fiasco. National Trust, Forestry Commission and other rural organisations are closing or have closed car parks because people can't use a little common sense. I agree that there are conflicting messages from different organisations and it would seem reasonable to drive a few minutes to walk the dog or take other exercise where you won't come into contact with anyone else. But unfortunately when everyone has the same idea these quiet, out of the way places become heaving and there is the potential for the disease to be brought to an area where it previously wasn't, or to be taken back.

It would seem we need to see the bodies begin to mount up before some people (not speaking about anybody here) will start to take this seriously. Yes there is inconvenience for us all, but a little inconvenience for a period of time could save someone's life. Your actions could save someone's life (or conversely take it). Be sensible and stay at home as much as possible.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

They are in breach of government guidance. The dog walkers will be in for a shock when Corvid 19 has passed as they will be looking at licensing regulation.

No one should be conducting a dog walking business, it is not a key worker activity, there is breach of travelling and a very high risk of spreading the disease. Corvid 19 does not move by itself, it needs us to spread it and by god aren't some people managing to spread it very efficiently.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think we could end up in full lock down, dogs out for pees and poops, with distance limits from home only if you don't have a garden to be honest. Which will be shite. But might be necessary.

The dogs will cope with this even if we think they won't.

Really don't think dog walkers should be working. Especially visiting multiple households.

Visit site
Well today, our local nature reserve is busy with dog lovers who often walk their dogs further afield in rural areas from their cars, so
that decree has sort of backfired. Before you say how I so I know where they walk, they are all from my estate so we used to chat when passing.Now they are all where I usually walk !

Visit site
They are in breach of government guidance. The dog walkers will be in for a shock when Corvid 19 has passed as they will be looking at licensing regulation.

No one should be conducting a dog walking business, it is not a key worker activity, there is breach of travelling and a very high risk of spreading the disease. Corvid 19 does not move by itself, it needs us to spread it and by god aren't some people managing to spread it very efficiently.

But they are self employed so is that not allowed then? Local tradesmen who are self employed are still working in peoples houses.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
[QUOTE="Penny Less, post: 14230272, member: 59347"Local tradesmen who are self employed are still working in peoples houses.[/QUOTE]

Surely not?
My son in law has suspended his small plumbing business. He put a post on it’s Facebook page expressing his apologies but
Family is the most important thing to him and he would not risk infecting them or anyone else.

Visit site
Next door neighbour but one has had the workmen in fitting a new kitchen for 2 days ! They are police officers( the owners not the tradesmen )

Visit site
When I moved here from London you could walk straight out onto the countryside on several paths, which is one reason we got our first dog. Now all those fields have been built on and apart from the recreation ground there are not many areas to walk on. I do mourn how our town used to be, hardly any traffic, coming from Ealing it was like heaven !