contradictory information yet again about dog walking!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
BBC News just quoted a force saying driving your dog to walk your dog in the countryside, even if there's no one else around, is not essential. Think it might have been the peak district. Clear as mud!!
It appears that the police and the government have different interpretations of what has been said which really isn't very helpful. It irritates me that they keep banging on about the reasons given to leave your house and still don't say anything about attending to horses or other livestock as me attending to my horses is far more essential than someone going for a bike ride!

We are very fortunate in that we can walk directly from our house straight into the woods and if we were feeling energetic enough we can easily access the South Downs. However most people aren't in this position so if they have to drive for 10 minutes to walk their dogs then I think this is pretty essential.

What I find incredible is that the amount of traffic has decreased hugely but the amount of impatient idiots seems to have increased exponentially. I have been overtaken at speed several times this week, and tailgated more times than I care to think. I'm not a particularly slow driver, and I've been driving pretty much the same way I always do, but there are seemingly enough people out there who think they're invincible.

planete

Visit site
Re. gates. I have to go through a gate used by other people where I keep my horse. I just wear a new disposable glove every time I go in and out. I am lucky I have to have a stock of them in the house at all times.

skinnydipper

Visit site
BBC News this morning. Police have said that people should not be driving to take their daily exercise.

However you want to interpret the guidelines is up to you but as the Police are the ones enforcing the guidelines I would suggest listening to them.

I am sure none of us are happy with how our lives are being affected but you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Last edited:

sz90168

Visit site
Due to a relationship breakdown I now life in a flat with my dog and have to walk him 3 times a day. I am managing 1 long walk and take him with me to my horse morning and evening to walk him on private land. He could not cope on 1 walk a day at all. In France and Spain a lot of people life in apartments, I wonder how they are coping.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Give it another 14 days or so and those without gardens will be putting newspaper down for dogs to relieve themselves on.

Perhaps the public will be more compliant and more willing to listen to the government when they see the 4,000 beds filled with dying people in the temporary hospital in London. When they see the 2 mortuaries attached to the temp hospital. The NEC is also being looked for a temp hospital. Victims in these beds will have no family around them when they die.

The virus is static, we, the non compliant, non listening, non destructible public give it a ride by moving it. Don't move it and it ceases. Why cannot people understand such a simple instruction ? maybe they do understand but have the classic attitude of 'it won't happen to me or my loved ones'?. Or is it a case of 'I'll do what I like until I am forced to stop by police or army.

In the very near future walking the dog will be the least of our worries.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
AA, I know what you are trying to achieve, but you are going too far in suggesting that everyone who goes into hospital is going to die. Most of them will recover and go home. Please don't frighten people unnecessarily.

skinnydipper

Visit site
AA, I know what you are trying to achieve, but you are going too far in suggesting that everyone who goes into hospital is going to die. Most of them will recover and go home. Please don't frighten people unnecessarily.

I think the majority of us are sensible enough to know that she did not mean every patient would die.

To be hospitalised with Covid-19 does seem to indicate that you are so poorly your care cannot be managed at home and that death is a real possibility.

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think most of us are sensible enough to know that she did not mean every patient would die.

To be hospitalised with Covid-19 does seem to indicate that you are so poorly your care cannot be managed at home and that death is a real possibility.

Exactly what I meant. The government isn't putting these hospitals together for fun.

ycbm

Visit site
I think the majority of us are sensible enough to know that she did not mean every patient would die.

I wasnt thinking of people like you SD.

ycbm

Visit site
Exactly what I meant. The government isn't putting these hospitals together for fun.

No they are putting them together so they can nurse people so they DON'T die. That is bad enough, without suggesting that anyone who goes into one or that anyone whose friend or relative goes into one is going to die. Most will get to go home.

I understand that you are trying to convince people to stay home, and that you mean really well, I just think you went a tad too far. I'm sorry if that offends or annoys, but I have friends who are in a total panic about stuff they are reading like this.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Not offended at all and I am just as frightened as many others regarding the world we are living in at present. I am high risk, my mother is ancient, I hold a public role key worker status.

But, if my and others words, can frighten and/or influence just one person to stay at home it would help stop the spread. Last weekend in the parks and woodland, seafronts, beaches and areas of beauty the great British public had a party despite being told in simple terms not to.

The Government is giving clear advice and a good percentage of people are either ignoring or skewing it to fit in with what they want to do. We are all talking about when the crisis is over. Over isn't going to happen if we don't stop behaving like we are at present. I use the word 'we' generically for those who might think I am being rude. The virus cannot move by itself.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
If you look at Spain, some weeks ahead of us, they’re seeing hundreds die daily as opposed to our total number of less deaths. They’re using ice rinks as mortuaries. If we don’t take this seriously, we will be in the same boat. I don’t think we can divert the course we’re on, tbh.

I keep hearing about people going round to other people’s houses, having parties etc. They need seriously big fines.

Moobli

Visit site
I don't see how the Cabinet Office can say one thing and the police try to enforce something else.

Driving somewhere to walk your dog away from others is not going against advice issued by the government, in fact it's better than walking somewhere already busy with other people.

If only people were sensible and used a little common sense. Don't drive ten miles away to walk your dog at your favourite walking spot, but to drive a few minutes where you know you won't see anyone, have to open gates or climb stiles etc seems reasonable and sensible. If you arrive at the place where you usually park and there are other cars, turn around and go home and try again later.

Moobli

Visit site
Re. gates. I have to go through a gate used by other people where I keep my horse. I just wear a new disposable glove every time I go in and out. I am lucky I have to have a stock of them in the house at all times.

And that is great if you are only accessing that gate once or twice a day. Imagine sheep farmers who are starting lambing and who have to access lambing fields multiple times a day, most likely rushed, under pressure and stressed without having to also remember to disinfect the gates each time or wear disposable gloves.

Moobli

Visit site
Due to a relationship breakdown I now life in a flat with my dog and have to walk him 3 times a day. I am managing 1 long walk and take him with me to my horse morning and evening to walk him on private land. He could not cope on 1 walk a day at all. In France and Spain a lot of people life in apartments, I wonder how they are coping.

I feel for you :( I don't know if you have seen the video of two ladies in Italy (I think) lowering what looks like a chihuahua from an apartment balcony on a long line to let it toddle about and do its business and then they hoist it up again.

Callieann

Visit site
Apparently these are being handed out to dog walkers in ‘popular’ dog walking areas.....

View attachment 42813
That isn’t what the government guidelines actually say, so it’s a shame whoever wrote them can’t write plain English....
Our police force is saying exactly the same thing. I must admit I totally agree with it driving somewhere rural or any where at all is NOT a necessary journey. It has been so bad in our village with people doing just that very thing, that we have closed our village car parks and put cones out so that dog walkers have no where to park. I know every one is struggling with isolation but it is safer for everyone to stay at home and walk or cycle from their own address

windand rain

Visit site
If only people were sensible and used a little common sense. Don't drive ten miles away to walk your dog at your favourite walking spot, but to drive a few minutes where you know you won't see anyone, have to open gates or climb stiles etc seems reasonable and sensible. If you arrive at the place where you usually park and there are other cars, turn around and go home and try again later.
This x 100 if you do not need to go anywhere if it is not a life and death situation stay at home. If you have to drive to a quiet spot go no more than 5 miles or so from your home. I think it is only right that those abusing the rules should be fined. Visiting livestock is necessary walking a dog in a beauty spot is not

{97702}

Visit site
Our police force is saying exactly the same thing. I must admit I totally agree with it driving somewhere rural or any where at all is NOT a necessary journey. It has been so bad in our village with people doing just that very thing, that we have closed our village car parks and put cones out so that dog walkers have no where to park. I know every one is struggling with isolation but it is safer for everyone to stay at home and walk or cycle from their own address

I’m guessing you haven’t read the whole thread.....

ycbm

Visit site
Well I just heard the BBC News on Radio 4 where they had a police spokesperson on. He stated that people ARE allowed to drive short distances to take their exercise/walk their dogs or just sit in the car having a picnic lunch. What people must not be doing is driving long distances and congregating.

Hallelujah, sense at last.

It is much safer for people in my local town to drive 5 miles out here to walk their dogs than it is to walk them in the parks in town, which are heaving with dog walkers.

I'm glad you reported that JB, thanks.

teddypops

Visit site
Well I just heard the BBC News on Radio 4 where they had a police spokesperson on. He stated that people ARE allowed to drive short distances to take their exercise/walk their dogs or just sit in the car having a picnic lunch. What people must not be doing is driving long distances and congregating.
A woman today at a popular walking site in Malvern pulled into the car park to be immediately turned around by police and told she must not drive anywhere to walk her dog.

Reactions: TPO

{97702}

Visit site

Don’t suppose you know which police service the person was from do you JB? Or which programme so I can listen on iPlayer? Just so I can argue the point if challenged!

{97702}

Visit site
A woman today at a popular walking site in Malvern pulled into the car park to be immediately turned around by police and told she must not drive anywhere to walk her dog.

The key words I would think there are ‘popular walking site’ - I wouldn’t dream of taking my lot to somewhere as overused as British Camp for example, that’s not being sensible and socially distancing IMVHO

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I’ve mixed feelings about folk being allowed to drive out to walk their dogs. Lev’s circs are good - it’s a short run in the car and when she gets there she doesn't have to touch gates, stiles etc. Other folk going to other places will need to open gates etc though, then potentially transfer infection both to other individuals and back to their cars and then home again.

If only we could rely on folk to reliably risk assess their outings.