Control Headcollars

shannon14

New User
Visit site
My Welsh D is testing his luck massively when it comes to morning turn out, he is giving everyone the run about!

he is usually well behaved when i handle him myself and if i know he is in a wild mood i will just wrap the rope round his nose (a bit old school I know but does the job on the short walk to the field and back). However, there is turnout on my yard and he is playing up for the poor girl that has to put him out each morning and i'd rather have a control headcollar for her to use and anyone else on the yard that has to lead him for whatever reason.

I have 2 dually headcollars but for the life of me I cannot find them anywhere. I don't particularly want to buy another one as I know if I do I will find the ones I have and I don't need 3. I also fancy giving something a bit cheaper a trial.

I can't expect her to put a bridle on him to lead as he wont let you touch one ear and he is a pain for new people to tack up so not really an option.

any recommendations? I have looked at the les mieux pro control with the chain, and the rope attachments you can get for normal headcollars. I have a thin rope halter I have told people to use on him but no one seems to bother so Ideally need an all purpose headcollar type that will be obvious and easy to use.

has anyone used any of the above or can recommend any other £30 or less ideally

Thank you!

be positive

Visit site
I don't understand why someone allows a horse, I assume they are paid to turnout, to play up when you have provided a halter that would probably do the job required, also not sure why they are not able to put a rope around his nose if that works, if they are working on a yard they really should be competent to lead him in and out each day without him messing about and if not the groom requires some training from the YO as they should be overseeing the staff, if it is another livery doing you a favour then I may feel differently.
You can provide a control halter but without the knowledge to use it properly they may still have problems.

shannon14

New User
Visit site
she is another livery offering turnout for the rest of us. She is one of the only ones not scared of my horse so if I can prevent him freaking her out too then I would like to get an easier control headcollar than the rope one as for what ever reason she is not interested in wrapping the rope round his nose or using my rope halter. he doesn't scare her so I don't think she really cares for it but it doesn't help when breaking the habit cause he just plays up with other people as well.

I am just looking for opinions from people who have tried other halters and have recommendations

Last edited:

JJS

Visit site
I don't understand why someone allows a horse, I assume they are paid to turnout, to play up when you have provided a halter that would probably do the job required, also not sure why they are not able to put a rope around his nose if that works, if they are working on a yard they really should be competent to lead him in and out each day without him messing about and if not the groom requires some training from the YO as they should be overseeing the staff, if it is another livery doing you a favour then I may feel differently.
You can provide a control halter but without the knowledge to use it properly they may still have problems.

This! I've never needed more than a rope halter to instil a bit more respect in horses that tend towards thuggishness, and if you've provided one, there really shouldn't be a problem. That said, I'm always surprised by how many people persist in using a normal head collar with horses that behave like this (oddly enough, the worst ones I've known have all been Section Ds). All it teaches the horse is that people are weak and easily overpowered, and that there's no real point in listening to them.

In terms of solutions, I know that a few people on here have created their own control head collars using cheap dog choke chains across the noseband. It might be worth searching the forum to see what's been suggested, as I'm sure this would be a more economical option until you can find your Duallys.

shannon14

New User
Visit site
Can't you just tell the staff to wrap the rope round the nose as you do?

she bribes him with some hay, so doesn't see the need. obviously this is not ideal hence why I want a new headcollar he can have all the time that will be easier to control him in. but when other people get him in or handle him he will literally run off and sometimes with not his usual people he wont even give them the chance to get the rope around his nose. I don't really see these problems only hear of them when I am not there.

I want a reccomendations on a head collar that will just stop him when he goes to run off

shannon14

New User
Visit site
JJS

Welsh D's have a mind of their own, mine is nuts half the time... Although I rarely see this bad behaviour anymore its just whenever I have to put someone else in charge of him (holidays/ turnouts) I hear of his antics. Its very frustrating.

JJS

Visit site
JJS

Welsh D's have a mind of their own, mine is nuts half the time... Although I rarely see this bad behaviour anymore its just whenever I have to put someone else in charge of him (holidays/ turnouts) I hear of his antics. Its very frustrating.

I have a partbred, so I speak as one of their many fans! Quirky, clever, and oh so opinionated, aren't they? They do seem to build a very strong bond with 'their' person, so I imagine that's half of the problem! :D

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a 'be nice' one which I don't need to use very often but when I do it certainly works.

Haha, I have one of these for short term, emergency use. IMO the name BeNice is a breach of trades description! :D:D:D

With the OP, if she can't be bothered to put the rope halter n then I am no sure why she would bother with any other different halter?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A simple old-fashioned rope halter, (like a cow-halter) is easy to put on and effective to use, with very little practice. You might need to experiment to see whether you need one with a bit of 'give' or a firmer one. We always use them, as a matter of course and have never met a horse, including Welsh DxTB, that doesn't respond well, even after a week being kept in because of the snow!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
TBH I would rather, the turn out myself, even if that means getting up earlier than have someone else let him get into bad habits, especially if that someone refuses to use the equipment provided!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Why don't you consider a Kemp Controller, several of my customers use one and have had good reports back , Oz (Saddler)

https://www.kemphorsecontroller.co.uk/

i can recommend this attachment, my old mare could be very difficult to control in a headcollar so i kept this in my pocket and couild put it on if she was having a strop...it really worked..