Controlling Ragwort

trottingon

Visit site
Hi, has anyone tried killing ragwort in the field using one of those gas canister weed burning devices?
Does it kill them? For one season or longer?
Any opinions?
Thanks

Polos Mum

Visit site
Not tried it but I'm sure it'd kill the plants you can see, the problem is it'll kill anything else around it and leave a bare patch so the roots underneath (which won't be damaged) will have a perfect spot to grow back into.
If you're walking round plant by plant some broadleaf weed killer would be better, kill down to the roots and not the grass around it.

Equi

Visit site
My dad goes out in him dumper and pulls them all up bless him. We have tried weed killers and burning but with a field of the stuff up wind (and noone doing anything about it) we always have a battle.

moana

Visit site
The gas wands will do nothing as they simply burn off the visible parts, and any plant will grow back very quickly. They certainly will not affect the root which it is necessary to destroy with Ragwort.

JustKickOn

Visit site
My dad goes out in him dumper and pulls them all up bless him. We have tried weed killers and burning but with a field of the stuff up wind (and noone doing anything about it) we always have a battle.

Report this to your local authority, it's a legal obligation to control ragwort.

happyclappy

Visit site
I hate ragwort. Spent a lot of time with a Ragfork after so many years almost rag free. Tried sprays, did not seem very effective and pretty pricey. Keep digging, seems the most effective

Equi

Visit site
Report this to your local authority, it's a legal obligation to control ragwort.

Tbh I don't want to. The neighbour is a helpful man in other ways and you don't **** on your own doorstep. I'd rather pick up a few bits of rag than have a war lol

JustKickOn

Visit site
If his land is visible from a public byway, it could have been reported by anyone. It's causing a problem for you. If you don't want to report him, why not ask if he can treat the land.

Surely by attacking the problem at it's source, rather than the after affects (which are on your land) it would be better for you?

Weeds Act 1959 and Ragwort Control Act 2003 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...chment_data/file/69264/pb9840-cop-ragwort.pdf

DJ

Visit site
Dig, dig and dig I`m afraid ... it`s the best way, you need to get the root out. I have a rag fork, gloves and bucket. Ragwort leaves a coated in a waxy substance which causes weed killer to just roll off. It`s a nightmare, but digging it out root and all and then burning it seems to be the best way to get on top of it, and then just try and stay on top of it by pulling it up as soon as you see it :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I suspect they are about to change the law and it will be a lot more difficult to get neighbours to control ragwort in the future. It is also going to be impossible to get professional chemicals without attending a course and passing examinations, then your sprayer will need to be tested every few years. Just a suspicion but based on the current attitude of DEFRA.

Is it really a legal obligation to control ragwort? I thought that was only if a neighbour within spreading distance complained and they kept livestock? As above, the "authorities" don't want to know and your MP won't bother chasing them.