Converting a farm to yard

moorhillhorses

Visit site
I'm buying a farm and I'm unsure what to do about the big hole under ground that the cow manure goes into . Like the tank thing. So when the cows standing in its pen and it goes to the toilet it goes through the slabs into the tank. Should I get hard core and fill it? If I didn't fill it rats would live there and I'm afraid fumes would come up! Filling it with concrete would be so expensive . I was going to remove the slabs and concrete the floor then. Are the slabs resellable? Ps is it called a slurry tank? Lol

Dave282B

Visit site
Yes it is a slurry tank and Defra make you have them and they are usually huge . Hope it's empty as they hold thousands of gallons which will need removing. As for knocking down - filling in I'm not sure - try to make discreet enquiry s with Defra or it could end up costing a small fortune - no LARGE fortune to clear / decontaminate and fill in
Good luck

domsmith

Visit site
Therw would be no need to decontaminate or anything like that, its only slurry. If its not empty just get a contractor in to tank it out its wont be the end of the world.
the slats are sometime saleable if they are in good condition.
instead of hardcore see if you can get demolition rubble to back fill it might be cheaper. you would not get fumes if its empty but they are best filled in if you are definatly not using it agian. the floor can colapse. the rods in the slats rust and they give way eventually

d

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Run away! No, seriously that could be a serious headache. As Dave points out you need to find out if it is full or not. You'll never fill it so if its empty the best bet is to seal it off and leave well alone. If however there is slurry in it for heaven sake make it a condition of purchase that it is emptied out prior to exchange.
Get an experienced agricultural surveyor to advise you.

domsmith

Visit site
Run away! No, seriously that could be a serious headache. As Dave points out you need to find out if it is full or not. You'll never fill it so if its empty the best bet is to seal it off and leave well alone. If however there is slurry in it for heaven sake make it a condition of purchase that it is emptied out prior to exchange.
Get an experienced agricultural surveyor to advise you.

No way! ours under our slats are 4ft deep they can be emptied by 9 tanker fulls 3 hours works on a good day, tanker and tractor at £20 per hours job done! they can be very big but still its free fertiliser for your fields.
they will certainly be empty as a condition of sale usually.

if you cover them up and use the space on top make sure they are sound to carry the weight.

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Fair comment, it does totally depend what size tank we are talking about.
You do need to look at it further and establish how big it is, when it was installed and then work out the best way of dealing with it.

honetpot

Visit site
I have one of these but it is so old that the poo is completely solid. I would look at cleaning it out and using it for rain water harvesting, we have loads of barns( about half and acre) where the water goes to soak aways which last winter we ended up with water logged ground and mud to 3ft so I am intending to try and manage the water using the existing tanks and a lagoon with over flow going to the ditch. This means in dry years I should be able irrigate and in wet years safely get the water away. If the farm is registered with the RPA, I would look at any grants or schemes that may be available and if you want to put up any further buildings the fact you have water management schemes in place will look good with the planers