Converting double garage to indoor stabling? Anyone done it?

chester2010

Visit site
Hi there,

I have an enormous double garage that is currently only used for storage. We were looking at building external stables within the grounds but then had the idea to convert the garage. It is brick built with a tall pitch roof has a good concrete base along with water and electricity points already in. I am aware that we would probably need to contact the council about a change of use.

Has anyone converted theirs or similar areas of space to internal stables?

Any comments appreciated.

jokadoka

Visit site
Yes, we did this! It was a double with two up and over doors. We took the doors out, put in a partition wall ( not full hight ) and built stable fronts where the doors were. Like yours, it was brick built with a pitch roof and concrete floor. I had my 16.1 hh TB in there with his companion friend next to him. It was absolutely fine, plenty of room. We did ask the appropriate authorities for permission which was given without a problem, no need for paperwork even. This was in France tho so I'm not sure about the planning permissions in the UK for such a conversion. From the horse's point of view tho it was absolutely fine! Would do it again in a flash!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
not a normal sort of garage but a large mechanic's workshop complete with inspection pit (much to OH's friend's disgust). We had a steel top fitted onto the pit and then 2 x 20x10ft stables put in. Its just about big enough to have them tied up outside the stables undercover. If you are in Scotland then planning laws are different to England (more relaxed when it comes to change of use).It still has a double metal roll door that is constantly up (obviously).

PorkChop

Visit site
My stables are garages, and are the envy of horsey visitors, wish I could post pictures.

We have concrete block walls and railing to seperate the stables inside and then super large double stable doors that open onto the yard :)

chester2010

Visit site
My stables are garages, and are the envy of horsey visitors, wish I could post pictures.

We have concrete block walls and railing to seperate the stables inside and then super large double stable doors that open onto the yard :)

Would you be able to email me some pictures if i gave you my email address? Just looking for some design ideas!