Converting van conversion 3.5 ton to a square body box?

catembi

Visit site
I have a van conversion Renault Master…the sort that still looks like a van. My new horse is going to need more headroom. Currently it’s 7 ft and we really need 8ft. Lorry is 2010 and reliable, and I have kept it well maintained.

Would I be better off getting it converted to a square style body or selling it and starting again? Any rough ideas of cost? I was thinking if refitting the inside anyway and getting a respray so I suppose I would save on that and could put the money towards a new body…

Julia0803

Visit site
I’m guessing it’d be so expensive you’d be better off swapping?

I had the same conundrum recently- I had a crew cab coach built box, that I felt was too big really for both myself and pony and wanted to downgrade to a smaller van type.

I dawdled for age’s because it had been really reliable and not caused me any problems…. And you never know buying something else if it’s going to be trouble.

Good luck

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
12 years ago it cost me 10k plus vat to have a coachbuilt body put onto (then) a 4 yr old cab chassis unit, the existing van body was cut away.
That included a one colour of paintwork on the outside and logos etc.

You wont be able to 'convert' but might well be able to get a coachbuilt body for yours. However, most box builders dont like to build on anything over 10 yrs old, so bear that in mind.

Green Bean

Visit site
I would sell and buy one that is exactly what you are looking for. There are a lot of 3.5t horseboxes for sale at the moment and prices on most have gone down which is surprising. I wouldn't want the headache of conversion when the end product might not work out how you want it to be - there are van conversions and horsebox conversions for a reason, I wouldn't try and chance a combining of the two.
That is just my opinion of course

catembi

Visit site
Thank you - I didn't know that! I have been trying to visualise how it might work, and if they're completely different, that explains why I'm not getting very far!

I really don't want to sell my lorry & get another one - I know mine, have looked after it & enjoy driving it. Any new one is going to be an unknown quantity. But mine isn't big enough. I don't really want to go back up to 7.5 ton either. The lorries can be cheap but maintenance is £££££££££££ and I don't like my chances of turning into the driveway without taking out a gate post...

WelshD

Visit site
Could the roof on yours be raised? I've seen a few where a high top has been made taller but I am not sure whether those were bodge jobs and whether its a structural issue

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don’t think you can turn a van into a coach build, they’re different base vehicles.
You can.
A 3.5t van will just have the whole body cut off leaving the cab chassis. But it needs to be a lwb to start with, any panel van, tipper etc can be used.

OP would be better to flog existing and buy what she requires if current one doesn't suit horse.

catembi

Visit site
Mine’s a LWB…! It also has the extra height roof but is still only 7ft of headroom. My nearly 4 yo is going to grooooow…! 😮

Boulty

Visit site
You might be able to get the roof raised without turning it into a proper coachbuilt maybe? This could be a good option if you want to keep the van? Unsure what the limit is on how high you can go

SilverLinings

Visit site
That is already a high top, I'm pretty sure you wont be able to do anything else to it, unless you pop Fred Flintstone type holes in the floor.....

...or a 'sunroof' for her head to pop through...! :p
And then you'll save on fuel (the horse can do the work) and have inbuilt air conditioning 🤣

Sorry OP, I don't have anything sensible to add as I don't have much experience with vans/lorries (have a trailer).

catembi

Visit site
If anyone has got a square type 3.5 ton, would they please be able to measure the height from floor to ceiling and report back? I have just seen one where it’s only 7 ft 3 and it doesn’t seem worth all the time, effort and money for an extra three inches…! TIA 😄

catembi

Visit site
Thank you…I think that would be the cheapest option. I also look after my lorry and would really rather keep it if at all possible as I know its history.