Cooked linseed : linseed oil and youngsters

windand rain

Visit site
Checked the feed bags today
grass chaff 11.75% protein
Linseed 22% protein
Alfalafa 16% protein
all came in at less than 5% carbs
Only one I couldnt get was the unmolassed beet as I dont use it when the weather is warm as I like to soak it overnight and it gets sour quickly

Tnavas

Visit site
Checked the feed bags today
grass chaff 11.75% protein
Linseed 22% protein
Alfalafa 16% protein
all came in at less than 5% carbs
Only one I couldnt get was the unmolassed beet as I dont use it when the weather is warm as I like to soak it overnight and it gets sour quickly

Try using a chilly bin (chiller, esky) to soak the sugarbeet in - keeps it from going off and in winter stops it freezing.

One of these
Chillybin.jpg

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I soak my speedibeet (unmollassed but I like this brand best) overnight and it never goes smelly.

The trick is to soak it so it goes fluffy... I guess it has taken the best part of 11 years to perfect this technique but basically you just pop your usual measure and cover in a shallow bucket with water but not too much so that it goes sloppy. It literally has to fluff up when you put a spatula through it. It's soft but not soggy. This way it doesn't steep and keeps fresh for at east a day even in the summer. I have the buckets for tomorrow in my car now that I soaked yesterday. Will still smell yummy in the morning and get hoovered up complete with wavy leg dance! :D

My horses will not eat the sloppy stuff now they have had the fluff. Don't get me wrong, it still holds some moisture, and is completely soaked so there are no hard bits.

Anyway, everyone has their own method but thought I would add my thruppence worth :)

Rouletterose

Visit site
Thankyou for the replies, she was very fit, always warmed up ie walking stretching at start and finish for at least 15 minutes, the key with her seemed to be more the mental side (she is a mare) if she got stressed, she got tight, and heyho she tyed up. We after a while of working things out never worked her at the start of seasons, and this seemed to help.

My question was that did anyone think that high starch levels alone could cause tying up, as my mare tyed up more when not on starch, this had been very interesting, oh and to the poster who asked yes she was for a few years on a balancer prescribed by my vet.

Higher protein levels per haps wont hurt her, at the moment they are very low.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I think our answer was that it possibly could be rouletterose, but since it is a condition that has multiple causes, no one here would be able to tell you definitively.

The starch thing could be to do with how she metabolises sugars. If she is a stress type then much of the stored energy goes on providing energy to be stressed in which case she would, I imagine, need a good source of regular sugars to help when energy demand increases such as when working.

It seems as if you a manage her really well now so whatever it is you are doing is helping her metabolism and mental health a lot of good :)