Cool mats

Pebble101

Visit site
My parents are thinking of getting one for their Weimaraner. Any comments - some of the ones I have seen don't look very robust judging by the comments. Her claws are regularly trimmed so shouldn't be sharp.

paisley

Visit site
Mine has been splendid- really couldn't have slept the last couple of nights without it ;)
Yes, the whippet declined to even sit on it for one minute
It seems pretty tough and stays cool for ages. Maybe try a towel left in the fridge for a bit and see if dog will lie on it before purchasing?

Flyermc

Visit site
I havent used cool mats, but i send my kids to bed with frozen hot water bottles with the covers on, the stay cold for hours

BBP

Visit site
As a pup mine chewed a hole in one, but he has a new one this summer and if sleeping upstairs where everything is carpeted he will always choose the cool mat instead of the carpet. Downstairs he just lies on the tiled floor. He has dug at the mat a few times to ‘make his bed’ and it has withstood that so far.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have two mats (different makes). the dogs Rottweiler and 2 Labs choose to lie on them when it as hot as it has been the last couple of days. We had a slot booked at the secure dog field that we use on Monday, so put the mats in the car, dogs weren't overly impressed as it wasn't that hot but were glad of them in the house when we got back. We were laughing at the yellow Lab today as she was lying with her head on the mat with her ear turned back onto the mat. Later on Monday when the weather had cooled somewhat, they piled up a blanket or 2 on the cool mat and sat on that.

We also like the cool coat that the Rottweiler wears when it's hot.

Calluna

Visit site
My dog refused to use our cool mat, however someone suggested putting it inside a pillowcase which I did and it’s made enough of a difference for the dog to consent to use it and even look glad of it!

Bellasophia

Visit site
I still have a gel filled mat that we bought to put in our travel crate to fly our dogue de Bordeaux and later our rottweiller ,to USA.
it worked a treat.
For everyday use as a cool mat ,I would say the fact it had to go in a freezer before use would be a problem( space wise).
In italy ,the days are as hot as 36c and threatening to arrive at40 c ..
We walk early and later in the evening...the dogs have a huge fan in the lounge where they crash out on a cold tile floor.
At night they lie on our bed with another Big fan and windows open...

I would recommend a powerful rotating fan over a cool mat.

Attachments

• C503D7D0-9024-40B7-A161-53374FDDACDA.jpeg
    C503D7D0-9024-40B7-A161-53374FDDACDA.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 8

Henbug

Visit site
Personally I prefer using a cool coat - it's like a verison of shammy leather. Works brilliantly, I've had a very happy and cool dog the last few days!

MissTyc

Visit site
Personally I prefer using a cool coat - it's like a verison of shammy leather. Works brilliantly, I've had a very happy and cool dog the last few days!

This. I've used them for years and they are great. My terrier usually hates coats but he comes with a waggy tail for his cool coat. And since we lost our old girl last year and she had an XL Prestige cool coat, I have to admit I've been wearing it like a cape the last few days and it is totally magic!

I do have a cooling mat, but dogs won't sit on it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Our cool mats don't need to go in the freezer - that's the beauty of them.

I like the cool coats for dogs that are walking politely on their leads but find that when they are allowed to run freely the coats don't stay in position so well.