Cooler recommendations

McFluff

Visit site
Looking for some recommendations for cooler rugs please. My mare is getting a thicker coat, and the plan is to clip her, but as she has had a bad experience, taking this slowly and building her confidence in the sound/feel of clippers first. This will take a few weeks (she's young, so want to get this right!). In the meantime, she gets sweaty when worked, and up to now, its been OK to sponge/squeegee after working and turn her out. But its getting cold at nights now, and I don't want to rug her until after she is clipped, so thought maybe a cooler to dry her before turnout? Is there a rug out there that would realistically help dry her off in half an hour or so? I have a Weatherbeater fleece rug at the moment - but it doesn't dry her at all (used after washing her in the summer and didn't dry in three hours!). Or am I just being a wimp, and should just carry on? She needs ridden/working as it helps keep her at the right weight, so resting till after she's clipped would just create other problems.

All suggestions of how to part me from my money are much appreciated :)

9tails

Visit site
Thermatex
Colin Cook Thermalux
Mark Todd Coolex

All expensive, all great. You need the honeycombb quilting as this wicks away the moisture from the coat and you find your dry horse wearing a dewy rug a short while later. I have an old Colin Cook Thermalux that looks like a rag with all the pulls but still works perfectly.

Swish also sell a Thermocell that I have my eye on, £69.99. I have a light Weatherbeeta Thermocell that looks great but is too thin for when the horse is clipped. I suspect the Swish one is very similar, a useful rug for Autumn but I want more on when she's clipped and hot.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
http://www.countryandstable.co.uk/amigo-mio-skrim-cooler/

I love my Amigo Mio Skrim Cooler, I even used it the other day when he got soaked in the field, I put it on him and left him in for a couple of hours and he was nice a dry by the time I got back, so I could put a rug on and turn him out!

my stable neighbour has also used hers on her boy over night when its not so warm, but he doesn't quite need a full rug on!

WelshD

Visit site
http://www.countryandstable.co.uk/amigo-mio-skrim-cooler/

I love my Amigo Mio Skrim Cooler, I even used it the other day when he got soaked in the field, I put it on him and left him in for a couple of hours and he was nice a dry by the time I got back, so I could put a rug on and turn him out!

my stable neighbour has also used hers on her boy over night when its not so warm, but he doesn't quite need a full rug on!

I bought one of these as a travel rug without high expectations but its an enormously useful rug, its been used loads as a cooler, to dry off after a bath, under rug, 'keep pony clean' sheet etc

I'm a big fan of the original Thermatex too but some equines find them too warm in milder weather, I have the thinner summer weight wicking thermatex rug which is properly wicking but not as thick and thats a great rug too