Cooling down legs after XC

Javabb94

Visit site
I have just started eventing my 5 year old so was wondering what people use to cool legs after hard work or XC?

She has done one event but was at home so cold hosed/walked/and borrowed some cooling gel

Next event is away from home so obviously won't have hose pipe!

I have heard bandage legs then freezer bags on top for 15/20 mins with bandages over the top before travelling then again when at home - this seems the cheapest option

I like the premier equine water boots but they are quite expensive and the freezer bags would be ideal as can keep in cool box!

Any recommendations/ideas gratefully received :)

Lolo

Visit site
I don't know if this is correct, or scientifically accurate or anything, but I HATE cooling gels or clays with an almighty passion when it comes to cooling legs. They act as insulators and will reheat the leg as effectively as they cooled it.

With Reg, we put tubigrips on his legs, doubled over, and then slot in freezer bags. We keep the freezer bags in an icebox which we put under the ramp when we arrive at the event- they've not melted before they've been put on yet.

I prefer this method because it cools fairly aggressively (we wash the legs with cold water first when he gets back, and he gets walked and then washed a few times before we put the ice on) and is ridiculously cheap :D

DoesDressage

Visit site
Equine fitness leg coolers are AMAIZNG!!! The best buy I have ever made. Only soak in water and stay ice cold for days. Highly recommend to anyone. Whenever I use them no one can quite believe how cold they are without freezing and how cold they stay. I put on after xc and travel home with them under the travel boots.

TableDancer

Visit site
I do have cold boots which work quite well - we also use the tubigrip/ice approach at a three day, don't bother at one days. If you are going to bandage freezer bags on you must take them off as soon as they have stopped doing their job ie maximum 20minutes, don't be tempted to travel home in them or anything or they will start heating the legs up, as Lolo describes.

My understanding is that it is not so much the gels and clays which do the damage through insulation, it is that people then wrap the leg up with layer after layer (brown paper/j cloths, pad, bandage etc). Talking to Pony Team vet, they still favour using something on the legs but leaving it open to evaporate (gel) or dry (clay). You have to be careful of the gels particularly, as some of them have banned products like witch hazel in them.

CaleruxShearer

Visit site
I wouldn't bother icing for a low level, one day event personally. Mine events at Novice and has his boots off as soon as studs are out after xc, then washed off and walked, legs washed off again then cool gel applied to them (I use the Gold Label Leg Ice gel) which is then left on and the legs open (apart from travel boots) until we get home. At home he has them washed off again and is then bandaged overnight. They are then un-bandaged in the morning and he's trotted up. I'm not a massive fan of the clays, they can hold heat pretty well and they are quite messy. The thing you have to be really careful of when putting gels or clays pn legs after xc is making sure there are no little cuts or nicks in the skin because they tend to irritate it and you will have a horse with a leg like an elephant for two days! I speak from bitter experience!!

Javabb94

Visit site
I don't know if this is correct, or scientifically accurate or anything, but I HATE cooling gels or clays with an almighty passion when it comes to cooling legs. They act as insulators and will reheat the leg as effectively as they cooled it.

With Reg, we put tubigrips on his legs, doubled over, and then slot in freezer bags. We keep the freezer bags in an icebox which we put under the ramp when we arrive at the event- they've not melted before they've been put on yet.

I prefer this method because it cools fairly aggressively (we wash the legs with cold water first when he gets back, and he gets walked and then washed a few times before we put the ice on) and is ridiculously cheap :D

Yes i had heard that about gel and clays - i have been recommended the NAF Ice Cool Clay but will steer clear of clay now!
I think it was one of your posts on another thread where i heard about the freezer bags! I wasn't sure how easy tubigrip would be to put on hence why im thinking bandages maybe.

I have had a pair of JHL cool boots, these are really good, you put them in the freezer, then onto legs. Only trouble is they defrost if you take them to a show, even in a cool box. I now have some of these:

http://www.harpleyequestrian.co.uk/equine_therapy_cooling_products.htm

Not really sure how effective they are, but a little more practical

Thanks will have a look at these :)

Equine fitness leg coolers are AMAIZNG!!! The best buy I have ever made. Only soak in water and stay ice cold for days. Highly recommend to anyone. Whenever I use them no one can quite believe how cold they are without freezing and how cold they stay. I put on after xc and travel home with them under the travel boots.

Thanks for the recommendation will have a look on the internet for them :)

I do have cold boots which work quite well - we also use the tubigrip/ice approach at a three day, don't bother at one days. If you are going to bandage freezer bags on you must take them off as soon as they have stopped doing their job ie maximum 20minutes, don't be tempted to travel home in them or anything or they will start heating the legs up, as Lolo describes.

My understanding is that it is not so much the gels and clays which do the damage through insulation, it is that people then wrap the leg up with layer after layer (brown paper/j cloths, pad, bandage etc). Talking to Pony Team vet, they still favour using something on the legs but leaving it open to evaporate (gel) or dry (clay). You have to be careful of the gels particularly, as some of them have banned products like witch hazel in them.

Thanks no would definitely not travel in them - i dont even travel in travel boots as horse travels alone so doesn't need them
Thanks never thought about banned products!

So is it that essential to cool legs at the level im at? She is currently only doing BE80 but hope to have done a 90 before the season is over - i'm totally paranoid about everything with her and want to make sure everythings right!

I wouldn't bother icing for a low level, one day event personally. Mine events at Novice and has his boots off as soon as studs are out after xc, then washed off and walked, legs washed off again then cool gel applied to them (I use the Gold Label Leg Ice gel) which is then left on and the legs open (apart from travel boots) until we get home. At home he has them washed off again and is then bandaged overnight. They are then un-bandaged in the morning and he's trotted up. I'm not a massive fan of the clays, they can hold heat pretty well and they are quite messy. The thing you have to be really careful of when putting gels or clays pn legs after xc is making sure there are no little cuts or nicks in the skin because they tend to irritate it and you will have a horse with a leg like an elephant for two days! I speak from bitter experience!!

Thanks for this thats really helpful :) as i said above max this season will be BE90 as she has only just turned 5 and don't want to push her -
I may just wash off then freezer bag for 15 mins whilst still at this level
I have Bonner bandages which I can use for this for this and they also can be used on humans!

Thanks will have a look at those :)

Firewell

Visit site
Xc is xc I don't think it hurts to cool the legs at any level.
I use witchhazel and arnica gel. I give the legs a good wash off, check for cuts and then massage the gel in around the tendons and joints. I leave his legs open, I don't bandage as can't see the point of making the legs hot with a stable bandage when I'm trying to cool them?! I never do my bandages up tight enough to provide much support as I'm paranoid about marking his legs. I only ever use bandages to keep dressings in place.
I like the witch Hazel and arnica gel, have also used diulted cool gel as a wash before which I think is good.
Not a fan of neat cooling gel or clay, especially not with a bandage over the top as the one time I did that it burnt the hair off and made the legs sore oopsie!
Have never tried cool boots but can see they would be useful if they weren't too cold and were put on for a short period of time..probably easier than standing with a hose for 20 mins!

charlimouse

Visit site
This is what I am planning on doing my dissertation on next year (writing project proposal at the moment!). Looking at the cooling products available to the averavge horse owner, as opposed to those you have to sell a kidney to afford!

TableDancer

Visit site
Only just read.. why is witch Hazel banned?
because it works! :D Look, your chances of being tested at a BE ODE are pretty slim, especially once you are all finished (on the occasions they test, they usually grab people as they finish a phase) but worth knowing all the same, and certainly bear in mind if he ever goes FEI where it all gets a bit more serious - I have been drug tested twice (horses) at FEI...

ZoeCharlotte

Visit site
When I groom for my friend it doesn't matter what level they've run at, it's always a routine of boots (sorry, don't know the brand!) that have been soaked in cold water for about an hour on all legs. My friend does like to put cooling clay on and then bandage over the top, which as far as I can tell does nothing. It has arnica in it though, so there does seem to be a reason to use irregardless of cooling properties. However, I'm not too sure arnica really has any medicinal measurable properties. If it was me, I would use the same boots my friend has as they retain water really well and actively cool the legs after every run. I wouldn't spend the money on ointments though!

Javabb94

Visit site
Thanks all for the suggestions - I would get water boots but rather expensive!

I will probably try Lolo's method as sounds cheapest way then won't have wasted any money

I know it's probably over thinking it but I'm so protective of A and a big worrier when it comes to things like this :eek:

Charlimouse - that sounds really interesting - cheap is the way to go!

Lolo

Visit site
By the time we're icing, Reg has walked about a bit so is very chilled again- he's a really easy horse to handle so happily stands munching which people manhandle tubigrips onto him! But once you get practiced at it, it only takes 2 seconds to whack it all on :D

oldvic

Visit site
We use witch hazel on both racehorses and event horses without any problems. If it was a banned substance it wouldn't be allowed into the racecourse stables.

Gucci_b

Visit site
I personally wouldn't use iced bags and leave on for any amount of time as this can cause "ice burns". I would hose with cooled water or sponge off repeatedly. Their is plenty of B.E legal leg cooling gels on the market now.

TableDancer

Visit site
We use witch hazel on both racehorses and event horses without any problems. If it was a banned substance it wouldn't be allowed into the racecourse stables.

I was told by an FEI vet a year or two ago that it was banned, but there was considerable confusion over several substances (I was told around then that Sudocreme was a no no but more recently that it is fine?) So I certainly bow to oldvic's knowledge which is considerably greater than mine :rolleyes: (no irony intended)

Ice bags would be fine to use, btw, as long as there is something between them and the skin.

SW3

Visit site
I use equi-n-ice, liquid coolant you soak your bandages in and then bandage legs after washing off. I tend to leave on for 30 mins or so then follow up with gel leaving legs bare until travel boots on to go home

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Good grief what on earth can sudocreme have in it which is "performance enhancing"? I use it all the time!

Think it has very mild steroids in it, which is why its good for soothing and inflammation?

Personally I wouldn't use anything on a horse that doesn't have a pre-existing condition for low level (up to PN ish) competition. A wash down and walk around, which hopefully you would do anyway shoudl be sufficient given that horses legs are designed for running and then effective cooling. Ours are generally always turned out overnight when they get home which I think helps too. Obviously if the ground is awful (hard or soft) then it might be different, but I tend to ride to the conditions and won't belt round if its questionable.

For cooling I think the icing using tubigrips is great, 20 mins on, 20 mins off if you can for a couple of hours. I've never used anything on my horse, but since various lamenesses over the past few years (not related to xc/galloping etc) I will be more careful in future, won't run if the ground is terrible, and will buy some ice boots for afterwards as the tubigrip scenario only really works if you're stabled overnight at the comp :)

SpottedCat

Visit site
Sudocrem used to be banned because of the Benzyl Benzoate I think, but it certainly doesn't show up in the FEI clean sport app, so I guess is now fine?

Interestingly Camphor, which is known to work by numbing nerves, also doesn't show up on the FEI clean sport app, which would imply that it is fine to use, but there is a lot of evidence out there that it is effective as a leg cooling gel because it is an analgesic! That makes it banned under jockey club rules, which only list the effects something has to have rather than all the substances.

It's such a minefield that I personally don't use any cooling gels/leg preparations. Just cool boots soaked in water that's had ice packs in it.

paulineh

Visit site
I use cool boots that are soaked in a bucket of water. I hav used these at vet gates and at the end of a ride. I put them into a bucket of ice cold water before I start the ride and they are ready when I get back.

Once the legs are washed down then the boot are put on until I go to the vetting. If I am at a race ride then the legs are quickly washed then off to the vets and on the return the cool boots are put on. If I need the cool boots out on course I will put them (after soaking) in a cool bag the add some ice, cheap from a supermarket, or you can make your own.

At home I hose the leg down towel dry and then put some TLC (Tendon and Ligament Care gel) made by Hilton Herbs on the legs.

To travel home from an event I put magnetic wraps on under the travel boots/bandages.

Gamebird

Visit site
Sudocreme was a definite no-go, doesn't seem to be definitively banned now but I don't risk it.

As you may know I do have some knowledge in the area of banned substances. I inteded to write an article for www.e-venting.co.uk on 'how to stay clean', focussing on common medications and home remedies (sudocreme etc.). Unfortunately the area is a huge can of worms. Various sources (including the FEI list) seem to be rather contradictory and between my professional knowledge, the literature on the subject and my friend who's an FEI vet it was impossible to come up with a list of things which were safe to use at any time, those which needed a withdrawal time and those which couldn't be used at all.

Oh, and to add to the melee the FEI seems to have diverged rather from the Jockey Club rules on which they originally based their restrictions. The data for common drugs eg. bute and seadtives is pretty standard but lots of other things (including, importantly Gastrogard) vary between the sports.

I gave up!

wench

Visit site
Slightly off-topic, but another thing that slightly "gets" me is the use of banned products if you havent applied them.

Lets say that horse gets a slight knock in the field, and YO gives some bute/puts something on thats banned couple of days before an event... you then take horse to event and get tested, and comes back positive. Your the one that gets banned and fined, whereas personally, I think they should be able to do something to the yard/person that's caused the problem as well.

Gamebird

Visit site
Slightly off-topic, but another thing that slightly "gets" me is the use of banned products if you havent applied them.

Lets say that horse gets a slight knock in the field, and YO gives some bute/puts something on thats banned couple of days before an event... you then take horse to event and get tested, and comes back positive. Your the one that gets banned and fined, whereas personally, I think they should be able to do something to the yard/person that's caused the problem as well.

Rubbish. It's your responisbility. No-one should be giving anything to your horse without your knowledge or permission and you need to make this clear to the YO.

dominobrown

Visit site
Gamebird- I thought most things have a 2 week withdrawal period, well definitely camphor?
personally I wouldn't use anything at a low level or on good ground. If the ground is particularly bad then yes I would. The horse is pretty efficient at cooling itself imo, and I certainly had no problems with my pointer, which must be a far greater strain than most low level events.
I have also used clays a lot, had great results and both my eventers, pointers and racehorses.